Through Frodo's Eyes Section XCVII Rope 1Aug...

Original Tolkien-based writings of all kinds.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Ladyhawk Baggins

Through Frodo's Eyes Section XCVII Rope 1Aug...

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:21 pm

In honour of our new home...

This scene isn’t actually in the book, though for a long time I would have sworn it was. However, bits and pieces of this scene are taken from different bits and pieces of the book, with some delightful stuff from the script writers; bless them. The dialogue is all from the movie. It was too wonderful not to include.

Section XCVII Rope

I remember playing a game... when was it? So long ago it seems now... another lifetime, certainly. Two teams on either end of a rope, each team attempting to pull the other team into the pit of mud between us. We were well matched, until one of our members slipped in the soft grass. I remember not who it was, and it does not matter, I suppose. It may have been me. Be that as it may, I do remember the coarse rope pulling through my hands. Even now my hands sting at the memory of it.

In all my life in the Shire, never did I dream I would one day find myself climbing down the side of a cliff with only the aid of a thin Elvish rope. Soft it is in my hands, and unexpectedly easy to grasp, almost as if it wishes to be held.

From above me, words float down:

“Can you see the bottom?”

I briefly glance below me, then gaze up at my friend.

“No! Don’t look down, Sam! Just keep going!”

One, two, three more steps, so to speak; we descend, but to where? And how much further? Must not hurry. Above me I hear a frantic:

“Catch it! Grab it, Mr. Frodo!”

Without thought, my hand snakes out, snatching the falling object. A sigh of relief, then my foot slips.

Again, I hear a desperate:

“Mr. Frodo!”

There is no time to think, nor even hope. Astonishment fills me, then ebbs away.

“I think I found the bottom.”

The ground feels nothing like Shire soil. It is rocky, hard, and bare. What little growth can be found is tufted and brown. Barely do I hear Samwise speak.

“Bogs and rope, and goodness knows what. It’s not natural. None of it.”

Without seeming to realize, my attention is drawn to the feel of my fingers running lightly over the smooth wood of the simply-carved box in my hand.

“What’s in this?”

My eyes take in the blend of colour and carving.

“Nothin’. Just a bit of seasonin’. I thought maybe if we was havin’ a roast chicken one night or somethin’...”

I cannot help but stare at my friend, stunned.

“Roast chicken?!”

Scarcely can I believe my ears. Do I even remember the taste of such simple fare? Sam’s roast chicken... moist and tender, always the perfect touch of seasoning...

“You never know.”

Sam’s earnest hope touches my heart.

“Sam. My dear Sam...”

I can see my words touch him as well -- or perhaps a look on my face I cannot hide -- for there is the slightest lift of his chin. Such pride he takes in these simple things and is quick to defend his reasoning.

“It’s very special that. It’s the best salt in all the Shire.”

I gaze at the box once more, enjoying its homespun beauty, then return it to the waiting hand of its owner.

“It is special. It’s a little bit of home.”

I find myself walking past my friend, gazing at the rope that saw us safely down here. Even as I think of what a pity it is we must leave it behind, other thoughts, dark thoughts, crowd my mind.

“We can’t leave this here for someone to follow us down...”

I allow my fingers to lightly caress the thin rope, as my eyes follow its trail back up the cliff. The top is completely hidden from my view. I feel Sam at my shoulder.

“Who’s gonna follow us down here, Mr. Frodo? It’s a shame, really. Lady Galadriel gave me that. Real Elvish rope. Well, there’s nothing for it. It’s one of my knots. Won’t come free in a hurry.”

I watch as Sam gives the rope a tug, then stare as the slender, silver coil falls at our feet. And I cannot hide the smile inching across my face. My bemused gaze captures his.

“Real Elvish rope.”

Ladyhawk

Previous sections are found at http://www.ladyhawkhollow.com posted under Thoughts.
Please feel free to explore the other wonderful stories in the Hobbiton Library, as well.
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

Lithilien Quicksilver

Re: Through Frodo's Eyes Section XCVII Rope 1Aug...

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:05 pm

Ladyhawk Baggins wrote:In honour of our new home...

“It is special. It’s a little bit of home.”

Both this lovely piece and these new boards make me feel quite at home here. Thank you for contributing to that wonderful atmosphere, (((LB))). :up:
White shores are calling... You and I will meet again.

Primula

Post by Primula » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:18 pm

It's so nice to see a new installment, and to know you are still writing this. ((((Ladyhawk)))))

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:21 pm

Thank you, Lith. I've had this chapter ready for a while but was waiting for some reason. Then when I heard Prim had our new home almost ready, I knew I needed to wait a little longer. Thanks Prim! And yes, I'm definitely still writing, though slowly. :roll: :wink:
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

frododoesnotleave

Post by frododoesnotleave » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:44 pm

this made me cry!!

Thank you for writing out so clearly (and of course, with Frodo's thoughts behind/along with it all) the emotions going on in that scene. I think it's a scene that even JRRT would have been proud to have in his book... it seems very much like that sort of scene he'd have included.. sigh.

I loved Frodo's memories of tug of war... falling in the mud :),and also his hands still stinging from the memory of the rope...
but that the Elven rope is like a caress.

thank you for capturing the great friendship and love between Frodo and dear Samwise.

Sigh. I wish I could say I'll be here all the time, but maybe SOMEDAY...
greetings to all and thanks to PRIM and to any others who may have helped to set up this board, it is lovely!
Sorry for typos, if any! did not proof this

Mary, crb, frododoesnotleave(FDNL), etc etc
mary-crb-fdnl, etc etc

Linaewen
Site Admin

Post by Linaewen » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:04 pm

Ah, lovely! I've been waiting for this one! :wink:

This is a special scene -- you have really added to what we can read in the book and what we see in the film by putting Frodo's thoughts into words. This was one scene where his thoughts seemed to be quite eloquently written upon his face, it just need you to put them into words. The Tug of War memory is fun! Thankfully when we did that as youngsters, we never had to deal with the mud aspect!
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

faramirgirl

Post by faramirgirl » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:38 am

I have always loved the part in the movie. It had always put a smile on my face. Lovely job, thank you. :D
Proud grandma to Nova Holbrook and Kiara
Foster. and Aura Holbrook

agape4rivendell

One of my favorite scenes, LHB... txt

Post by agape4rivendell » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:37 pm

BOOK IV - Chapter 1: The Taming of Sméagol

I just loved this to pieces and really enjoyed your (oops, Frodo's) interpretation of what happened.

I sort of liked what the writers did with it, but would have preferred Frodo's reaction to the rope coming down that Tollers wrote.

Thanks for adding a delightful chapter to our new home!

Agape
'There will be only one Steward in Gondor, so long as I am King. I will have you as my Steward, or I will have none." PlasticChevy - The Captain and the King