Ten Thousand Years Will Not Suffice - TA 3019 - COMPLETE

Original Tolkien-based writings of all kinds.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Harthad

Re: Ten Thousand Years Will Not Suffice - TA 3019 - EPILOGUE

Post by Harthad » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:09 pm

:up: :thumb: :clap: :clap: :clap:

agape4rivendell, can you give me some tips on writing? How do you write so masterfully??
"How do you pick up the threads of an old life. . . how do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back." ~ Frodo, TROTK
Click here to visit my site!

Primula

Post by Primula » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:14 am

Oh wow... :shock: You finished it!! Apologies that I don't have the beta'd version at the Scrapbook, but this one is SO huge it would take me days of work just to replace them all.

Good luck on the MEFAs this year - you certainly deserve them after creating something like this. :yes:

Harthad

Post by Harthad » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:09 pm

I hope you win the MEFAs. This tale is just that awesome!
"How do you pick up the threads of an old life. . . how do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back." ~ Frodo, TROTK
Click here to visit my site!

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:15 pm

It's done. Wow. Simply amazing. BRAVA!!!
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

agape4rivendell

Post by agape4rivendell » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:16 am

Bless you!!!

And know I am thinking about you this week-end.....

Deepest thanks for your support over these many long years.....

I could NOT have done it without you... yes, you!

xxooo
'There will be only one Steward in Gondor, so long as I am King. I will have you as my Steward, or I will have none." PlasticChevy - The Captain and the King

agape4rivendell

Post by agape4rivendell » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:22 am

It is only because of this board, Harthad, YES - this board of incredible, kind, and gentle people, who let me grow in my writing so that I finally had the courage to 'attack' this tale....

If not for.... well, I started to write a list, but it grew too long (we've been on this board since 2000) - you know who you are - you who helped me grow...

But also - for those who are no longer 'active' members - who wrote some incredible tales here long ago (now archived on Prim's Scrapbook) - these inspired me and helped me to think that maybe I too could write.

I will never be able to express my humble appreciation for the contribution these people (and the 'newbie' writers) make and have given as gift to us - the readers.

Bless you all - and have fun with writing - it is truly a gift!
'There will be only one Steward in Gondor, so long as I am King. I will have you as my Steward, or I will have none." PlasticChevy - The Captain and the King

agape4rivendell

Post by agape4rivendell » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:28 am

Oh Primula - you are honestly the very very best!!!!!

I've made so many changes (and way toooo many times) to ask you to even consider 'fixing' the version at the Scrapbook.

But - the original is fun anyhow.... isn't it. All my little flaws and such - oh good grief, writing Denethor instead of Boromir or having the Orcs come down from Amon Din instead of Amon Hen......

Honestly - what messes I have made over these past sevenish years... and yet, folks kept reading, giving me a bit of latitude - good grief - the thing is over 500,000 words !!!!! No wonder I made a mistake or two - or three :D

Bless you!!! For caring so much! Ten thousand thanks!

agape4rivendell

Post by agape4rivendell » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:30 am

*puts hand over heart*

THANK YOU, Ladyhawk Baggins

You know - all those times you wrote a short note to say, keep up the good work, or WOW, or some such.... it's those things that kept me going... knowing you were covering my back.

Bless you!!!

agape4rivendell

Post by agape4rivendell » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:31 am

The intrepid trio strikes again.

*blushes*

Linaewen and Primula have been nominated for the MEFAs too!

Another year of writing and another year of fun!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:25 am

In ROTK, Gandalf says that Denethor and Faramir are very much alike, in that they are "throwbacks" to their Numenorian ancestors. In reading your take on the last few days of Denethor's life, I see other similarities... both trying so hard to earn their fathers' love and affection, both thoughtful and deliberate in their actions, both unafraid to question orders if they saw a different path, but both ruled (to some extent) by their emotions. Faramir, fortunately, did not inherit the tendency to bury his affections.

I, too, have taken some time to deliberate my words, here at the end, because here in the part that must have been so agonizing for you to write, I have found a point of (hopefully constructive) criticism. I have no wish to poke at your already tender heart, but I see a problem: Denethor takes the Rod of the Steward with him to Rath Dinan, and breaks it upon the pyre. Yet in the Epilogue, Faramir holds the Rod. Honestly, I don't remember (and haven't looked, I admit) at Tolkien's words (or lack thereof) regarding the Rod... this is your story. Without explanation, though... was a new Rod constructed?... that bit was a little jarring.

Perhaps it is such a little thing, in the overall scheme of things, that it does not matter. Feel free to :razz: at me if you wish.

More importantly, I am so proud of you for finally finishing the tale. I know that it was very difficult for you at times, and I'm glad that you found the courage and strength to see it through. You're such an inspiration to me! (((Agape)))
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Linaewen
Site Admin

Post by Linaewen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:10 am

daughter_of_kings wrote:I see a problem: Denethor takes the Rod of the Steward with him to Rath Dinan, and breaks it upon the pyre. Yet in the Epilogue, Faramir holds the Rod. Honestly, I don't remember (and haven't looked, I admit) at Tolkien's words (or lack thereof) regarding the Rod... this is your story. Without explanation, though... was a new Rod constructed?... that bit was a little jarring.
A new rod must have been fashioned for Faramir's use, because the breaking of the rod is from the original text -- and a very powerful scene it is, too!
Then Denethor leaped upon the table, and standing there wreathed in fire and smoke he took up the staff of his stewardship that lay at his feet and broke it on his knee. Casting the pieces into the blaze he bowed and laid himself on the table, clasping the palantír with both hands upon his breast.
Faramir has a rod in the original text -- the one he offers to Aragorn when he enters the City -- but it's simply referred to as "a white rod." I am assuming that's the one that is referred to in the Epilogue, though I could be wrong. Agape will have the final word on clearing that up! :wink:

((((Daughter of Kings and Agape))))
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

agape4rivendell

Post by agape4rivendell » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:28 am

Hello, DoK - you blessed wondrous woman! Good to hear from you again! :hi:

Your right about the Rod - to a degree....

Denethor breaks it (as I wrote and as Lin's reference shows) - it is a truly horrific and meaningful scene... After I discovered Denethor broke it and that Faramir had the Rod further on - I researched it (besides Tolkien's books) and found that Denethor truly did break it and burn it - but also, that Faramir truly had one at the 'opening' of the City to Aragorn -

So - my conclusion was - the original was burned - and Faramir either had another made OR another was in the Royal Treasury.... one of those failsafe things that kingdoms keep around in case the Steward went mad and burnt the original :mutter: :grin:

I also really wanted to show that Denethor felt Faramir would be dead and unable to 'hold' it - and that there was NO WAY he wanted Thorongil having it or giving it to a 'usurper' of the Stewardship.....

Honestly - I really think that this was another instance where we learn that Denethor definitely did NOT believe Faramir would survive his wounds.

Another thing - as you point out - many folk seem to think that Denethor had a problem with Faramir being so much like his mother - but I agree with you and your reference - I believe Faramir was much like Denethor - but even nobler... :cry:

10,000 thanks for continuing to read this all these years and for your kind words that were always much needed and much appreciated!

PS - never ever NOT bring up a point of contention! I have truly worked very hard to make sure everything is as close to canon as I could make it... sometimes with Tolkien's penchant for contradiction - it has been frustrating - to say the least.....

PSS - as for the Epilogue - if you - or anyone else, knows of any that I might have missed who died during that last year - please let me know and I will add them... I really want that Memorial list as correct as possible (there are a couple OC's in that list too!)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxooooooooooooooo
(talk about an Ever Faithful reader!!!) :love:

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:32 pm

Linaewen wrote:A new rod must have been fashioned for Faramir's use, because the breaking of the rod is from the original text -- and a very powerful scene it is, too!
Then Denethor leaped upon the table, and standing there wreathed in fire and smoke he took up the staff of his stewardship that lay at his feet and broke it on his knee. Casting the pieces into the blaze he bowed and laid himself on the table, clasping the palantír with both hands upon his breast.
Faramir has a rod in the original text -- the one he offers to Aragorn when he enters the City -- but it's simply referred to as "a white rod." I am assuming that's the one that is referred to in the Epilogue, though I could be wrong. Agape will have the final word on clearing that up! :wink:
Amazing, that I never noticed that... contradiction?... in all the times I've read the book. But then, Agape, you've always had a way of bringing obscure points into the light (or at least thumping me on the head with them)...
agape4rivendell wrote:So - my conclusion was - the original was burned - and Faramir either had another made OR another was in the Royal Treasury.... one of those failsafe things that kingdoms keep around in case the Steward went mad and burnt the original :mutter: :grin:

I also really wanted to show that Denethor felt Faramir would be dead and unable to 'hold' it - and that there was NO WAY he wanted Thorongil having it or giving it to a 'usurper' of the Stewardship.....
... and then you uncover so many layers of meaning, so many insights in all the little things. I feel like I never really knew Denethor until you showed him to me.

(((Agape)))
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

JimboBaggins

Post by JimboBaggins » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Agape,
A late public reply to the finished epic you have created.
As said, I printed the last chapter and took it with me on the plane, flying down to see my dad on Fathers Day.

The pilot made an announcement at 10,000 feet so I felt it fitting to pull it from my bag and start reading. It's a short flight from Portland to Sacramento so I took it slow thinking back on the past several year's worth of enjoyment you provided to all of us.

As usual you captured all the anguish, excitement, drama and beauty in Tolkiens world in your tale. A doubly sad finish in the passing of The Steward of Gondor and the end to your story. Can anyone equal it in breadth and scope? Doubtful but hopeful.

So many good writers here all worthy of all the acolades, platitudes and kudos we can heap on them (us) to continue this quest to further J.R.R.T.'s middle earth vision.

A co-worker just told me her 9 year old grandson with autism, just started reading The Hobbit this morning. She didn't know that brother Onomir and I(she knows him too) are Hobbitheads of the first degree. I got all excited and told her of the trilogy and showed her my well worn copy of The Silmarillion I keep behind my desk. Funny how people don't observe something they see everyday.
Another fan in the making. I will try to further it by giving him the link to this site.

Thanks again for the enjoyment and giving me something to look forward to seeing each day I opened my computer.
JB 8)
"But I wish Bilbo could have seen Treebeard: how we shall manage to describe him to the old hobbit, if ever we get back, I can't think."

Tari

Post by Tari » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:39 pm

And so it is finished. I knew when I got to the last couple of chapters I would not be able to stop reading, so I waited till I had time to do it justice. I'm sad to see it end, though I know all good things must do so.```

This is truly a labor of love from you. Hopefully it dispelled some of the bad thoughts people had about Denethor. He was not evil and he truly loved both his sons, although he was not able to shower Faramir with it much as he wanted to. I agree that it would take some one special, like you to write a story of this magnitude. I do hope you have time in the future to write a little tale here and there. I really look forward to them.

CONGRATULATIONS, and I hope you win a MEFA award also.

My hat is off to you.

:bow: :salute: