Letters to Denethor

Original Tolkien-based writings of all kinds.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

agape4rivendell

Letters to Denethor

Post by agape4rivendell » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:24 pm

I know I've done letters before - Boromir's to Faramir were such fun to write.

A frirnd is in the midst of writing a great piece here - http://www.storiesofarda.com/chapterlis ... p?SID=6044

It just tickled my fingers and gave me great thought about a letter that Denethor might have found sent to him.

Then - I discovered another couple people wrote more letters to him.

So this is going to be - probably a few chapters. Not a lot, but a few.

Haven't written here for so very long, but I have been writing. Hope you enjoy this.
'There will be only one Steward in Gondor, so long as I am King. I will have you as my Steward, or I will have none." PlasticChevy - The Captain and the King

agape4rivendell

From Theoden - A Tribble

Post by agape4rivendell » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:26 pm

My dear Lord Denethor,

It is with heavy heart that I write.

Three months ago, your son came to Edoras. He bore a missive from you requesting a horse and gear, enough to take him to the far north. We so provisioned him. I gave him a stallion with the blood of the Mearas. A great beast, well suited for a journey of length and hardship. Boromir sat him well. Pride swelled my breast as I watched him ride out the gates.

Three weeks ago, the steed we gave Boromir returned. Alone. It was lame; its legs were grievous wounded.

I gave order that my own son seek Boromir. A fortnight later, a soldier brought a helm to Théodred. It had been found in the shallows of Lond Daer. The helm was smashed almost beyond recognition. If not for Gondor’s heraldry, it might have been any soldier’s. Théodred recognized it. It was Boromir’s.

It now lies in my lap. My heart is burdened. The thought of losing a son, of losing my Théodred, consumes me. Causes feelings such as I have not known since my sweet Hild passed.

I am convinced that your son has perished. We were unable to find his body. I have troops scouring the land between the Greyflood and the Isen, but I hold little hope. There was evidence of a flash flood sometime ago. The Greyflood can be vicious. The waters rise without warning from summer storms far to the north.

I am sending the helm with this missive. I would hope Théodred is wrong about its owner. That it might not be Boromir’s. But your son and mine were close. I fail to believe Théodred is wrong.

I offer my regrets, dear friend. I would I had better news.
Théoden King of the Mark
'There will be only one Steward in Gondor, so long as I am King. I will have you as my Steward, or I will have none." PlasticChevy - The Captain and the King

daisy gold

Re: From Theoden - A Tribble

Post by daisy gold » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:24 am

What a lovely touching and kind-hearted letter, Agape. :-)
It's a letter many parents dread to receive. Yet there is compassion in Theoden's thoughts.
I note the fore shadowing of Thedred's death too.
He beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:42 pm

Agape, you seem to be drawn to the melancholy. It's such an insight, though. Confronted with the event of Boromir's actual death, it is easy to overlook the event that you reference here. As Daisy notes, it is a foreshadowing, both of Theodred's death, and of Boromir's.

Several "chapters" of letters between Denethor and Theoden? What a delight to look forward to. *waits eagerly for the next one*
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Tari

Post by Tari » Mon May 30, 2011 5:54 pm

What a difficult, yet compassionate letter for Theoden to send to his friend. He must have spent hours trying to decide what to write. Little does he know, he will suffer the same fate.

Eruvanne

Post by Eruvanne » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:17 am

That was a beautifully touching letter, agape. Like everyone has said, you did a wonderful job of portraying a hurting father's heart. I can't wait to see what comes next. :)
And the fellowship, though forever bound by friendship and love, was ended.

Onomir
Site Admin

Post by Onomir » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:31 am

i have wandered afar and returned to you now, and behold, what I have missed!
Wonderfullness my friend ;-{>
�Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget."