Gives it to us...

Original Tolkien-based writings of all kinds.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

agape4rivendell

Gives it to us...

Post by agape4rivendell » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:16 pm

One of the problems with watching the movies again ....

The Muse sits next to me and whispers......

A double drabble. An Au. Born of the 'fight scene' between Deagol and his cousin.

Gives it to us –
Movie version AU

“Gives it to us. It’s our birthday. We wants it.” Smeagol held out his hand. He laughed. Deagol never could keep anything from Smeagol.

Deagol shook his head.

“Cousin. It’s our birthday,” he reiterated, nonplussed at Deagol’s refusal.

Deagol turned away.

Anger flamed in Smeagol’s heart. “Gives it to us.” He hissed the warning.

Deagol walked faster.

Smeagol pounced. Pounced hard. Drove Deagol’s face into the mud. Held the face down. Fury broiled inside him. Made him blind.

Deagol thrashed.

“Gives it to us.” He clawed at Deagol’s hand.

Deagol hunched up, throwing Smeagol off, laughing.

“It’s ours, it is.” Smeagol lunged forward, caught the fleeing Deagol’s ankle. Pulled hard. His cousin fell with a grunt.

Smeagol turned him over, trying to wrench the prize from his cousin’s clutched fingers.

“Gives it to us,” Smeagol screamed. Birds flew, shrieking, from their treetop homes.

Smeagol’s hand wrapped ‘round Deagol’s neck. He gripped hard, pushing his fingers together. Closer. Closer. Clenching his cousin’s neck. Bones crunched. He twisted, pushed, clawed. Deagol stopped struggling. Deagol stopped moving. Deagol stopped breathing.

Smeagol’s hand dropped from his cousin’s neck. He took the lifeless hand. Opened it. So easy to open now.

There was nothing there.

A/N - Tolkien states that Smeagol was not a nice character even before the Ring. Some folks think he might not have killed his cousin if it weren't for the influence of the Ring. I think otherwise.

Also - IMHO, in this scenario, Deagol can't really believe that his cousin lusted after an unknown object. He was a simple Hobbit. He thinks Smeagol is playing a rough game with him. It's not till the end that he realizes his danger. Too late.
'There will be only one Steward in Gondor, so long as I am King. I will have you as my Steward, or I will have none." PlasticChevy - The Captain and the King

daughter_of_kings

Gives it to us...

Post by daughter_of_kings » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Well done!

I tend to agree with you in both respects. Regarding the content of Smeagol's character... there was a reason that the Ring called to him in the first place... it knew what was in his heart.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

GondorsQueen

Re: Gives it to us...

Post by GondorsQueen » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Interesting.

That's the word that popped in my head when I read this thread.

Thanks Agape. :hi:

JimboBaggins

Post by JimboBaggins » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Agape,
There was nothing there.
Nothing is such a dark and powerful word as used here.
Beautiful as always.
I must get my hands on the extended versions.

Your writing brought back a memory of a small writing I did a few years ago. Seems like forever. http://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/stori ... r3.html#10
Mines at the bottom, Smeagol's Birthday, preceded by some more of Agapes typical classics and also by Linaewen and Eruvanne. Puts me in some very good company indeed.
"But I wish Bilbo could have seen Treebeard: how we shall manage to describe him to the old hobbit, if ever we get back, I can't think."

Tari

Post by Tari » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:50 pm

I think you captured the essence of Smeagol beautifully. I don't think he was ever nice either, which is why it was so easy for the ring to possess him.