Crazy writing challenge...

Non-canon tales & verse plus other friendly writings.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Ringwraith-Wife

Re: Crazy writing challenge...

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:21 am

WoW! Thank you all so much... you know full well, you're a tough act to follow - RW :kiss: :heart: :kiss:

Dínelleth

Post by Dínelleth » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:41 am

Bravo RW!!! Bravo!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

*reminds muse about this writing challenge and sets her to working on it*

Silivren Ithildin
Location: in Rivendell under a waterfall, also known as Mid-MO

Post by Silivren Ithildin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:36 am

Dinledhwen wrote:
:poke: :poke: :poke:
And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Anduril, Flame of the West. FOTR

"Utúlie'n aurë! Auta i lómë!"
The Children of Húrin

Dínelleth

Post by Dínelleth » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:53 am

Silivren Ithildin wrote:
Dinledhwen wrote:
:poke: :poke: :poke:
*laughs till eyes water from the ticklish poking* Have mercy with that stick mellon nin! I working on it! :write:

DoctorGamgee

My Entry

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:49 am

(I have no imagination for this sort of thing, and have not checked the word count, but for what it is worth. I hope the last scene is angsty enough to count ... Dr.G)

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ...

"So this is the nightmare existance of what was once a Jedi knight" bemoaned Sventaskar-Nee, trying to understand how his life had ended up an in an 8 inch plastic sphere rolling absently across the Dickensian landscape on the 86th floor of the Sears Tower.

He had been one of the finest of Yoda's students. Both strong in the force and wise in the ways of science, he had mastered all the skills of Master Yoda, and even managed to get a write up in the paper for his unique use of paperclips in Jedi Training.

"The electro-shock balls were expensive to maintain." the young maverick had said with unabated glee. "So through the knowledge of the Force, combined with a a thorough knowledge of Aerodynamics (and of course, tripping over a box of paperclips), I was able to design and send squadrons of Paper Airplanes flying at the padawans in their lightsaber training."

"Overhead went down, profits went up and the synergy within the JEdi Temple moved us from torpor to top-drawer!"

That last part had been the precursor to the gaffe which would turn the wheel of fate and land him in this current predicament. Not to mention leave him the pink scar by his ear.

Far away at Hogwart's, Dobby the House Elf, had been eating cake with pink icing and absently knitting a pair of pink bunny slippers with one chop-stick, and one knitting needle while reading the article. When Dobby read the line about "Topor to Top-Drawer" in the Daily Prophet, he gaffawed. His arm swung wide, spilling the cake, icing side first, on the Magic carpet.

Fearing the wrath of Mrs. Weasley, he quickly went in search of Ron's wand to clean up the mess. Dobby had thought that he had returned the wand to the pile of dirty laundry where he had found it. That, however, had been the chop-stick (a souvenier of their recent trip to the Great Wall of China) and the single knitting needle had been replaced in the process with Ron's wand.

Thus it was, when the house elf discovered that he had "purled two" when he should have "knitted one" that his explative (learned from his long time spent in the Malfoy household) slipped his teeth and set into motion the chain of events which had led to a jedi knight serving time as a pet gerbil. The choice set of words, which echoed through the space time contimuum and made the pirates playing Texas Hold 'Em on the deck of the Black Pearl turn pink in shame as the ship spun in the bay, caused the Wand to take magical action.

The wand began to spark and sputter, and the life force of Sventaskar-Nee was drawn through the hole in the Space-time continuum to the picture at the precise moment when the elf muttered, "I might as well be knitting Gerbils!"

And thus it was that the soul of the Jedi got trapped in a Gerbil, spit through to the universe and landed him in the high-rise appartment of Yun-hi Kim, a pianist who specialized in Chopin mazurkas and drank green tea incessantly.

Yung-hi stopped her practicing and a look of solemn perplexity came over her. She could have sworn that her pet gerbil had just been running back and forth all morning over her copy of "Tale of Two Cities". She would have gone to investigate had she not noticed that there was a spot of what looked like pink icing on the floor.

A sudden feeling of dread came over Sventaskar-Nee as he watched the woman, one chop-stick in the bun of her hair advance towards him with the windex. Who knew how the cleaning of this icicng spill would turn out.

The last thing he remembered as he awoke at Cair Paravel was the sight of Yung-hi and the bottle of windex coming at him like Grond going after the Gates of Minas Tirith.
Last edited by DoctorGamgee on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

Dínelleth

My Entry

Post by Dínelleth » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:01 am

*whispers* Dr. G you do too have an imagination for this sort of thing! Your post proves it! :wink:

This was a delight to read! :clap:

Ringwraith-Wife

Re: My Entry

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:24 am

All hail DR. G!!! :yay: I laughed out loud three times... Dobby knitting the bunny slippers with one knitting needle and a chopstick (setting up the Great Wall of China) is priceless imagery... and I, too, am becoming a great fan of gerbils. ... ( and you can sing, as well .... sigh...) :grin:

Primula

Post by Primula » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:43 pm

"So this is the nightmare existance of what was once a Jedi knight" bemoaned Sventaskar-Nee, trying to understand how his life had ended up an 8 inch plastic sphere rolling absently across the Dickensian landscape on the 86th floor of the Sears Tower.

This opening sentence is worthy of entry in to the Bulwar-Lytton "dark and stormy" contest. :clap:

:lol: Your imagination is doing just fine!

gustaf

Post by gustaf » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:34 pm

"And thus it was that the soul of the Jedi got trapped in a Gerbil, spit through to the universe and landed him in the high-rise appartment of Yun-hi Kim, a pianist who specialized in Chopin mazurkas and drank green tea incessantly."

:lol: :clap: Very fun DrG!! It was great and very imaginative!! Love the names....especially Sventaskar-Nee even though I can't pronounce it. :D
"Are you from New York?" "No, I'm from America."

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:48 pm

Y'all are too kind. I had done it on the fly, so went back and edited a couple of places where the text had gotten garbled with my bad typing. And I did a word-count of 674, so I am well within the limit of 5,000. And as I rewrote it, I realized that the Practical Joke was the only element I didn't use. I suppose it should have ended

"What cosmic practical joke of the Enemy is this?" Denethor said, staring deeply into the Palantir of Minas Tirith into the seemingly wise eyes of the girbil. And behind the small rodent the words echoed in the halls of his mind.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ...

"Indeed." said Denethor as he reached absently for the piece of cake beside him.

The gerbil tried to squeal a warning as the pink icing crossed the lips of the stranger. But none could hear his warning ...

But that will just have to be left to someone else.

Dínelleth

My muse may never be sane again after this!

Post by Dínelleth » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:38 pm

You can go ahead and add your ending Dr.G! :yes: It's hilariously wonderful! :rofl: :clap:

Okay here is my entry. It's 626 words long and I've highlighted everything I had used which doesn't include everything. I didn't think my poor Muse could handle the further strain from having to continue to work from such a crazy list of words.

Sarah’s Gaffe

All afternoon long Sarah had been trying to turn a simple wooden toothpick into a bright shiny sewing needle without much success while she sat at the Gryffindor table in the main hall at Hogwarts.

“At the rate I’m going I will never finish this assignment!” she muttered to herself in dismay while she looked at the pet gerbil rolling in its ball, Luke Skywalker’s light saber, a bottle of Windex, a postcard from Green Bay Wisconsin, an ipod loaded with Polish mazurka tunes, and the magic carpet from the Disney movie Aladdin which was flying in a slow lazy circle above her head. “I wonder if Professor McGonagall will at least give me some extra credit for what I have done,” she added in a solemn musing tone of voice since she didn’t think her odds of that happening were very good in the first place.

Now that spurred Sarah to try again and soon she had produced an overly large three tiered birthday cake complete with festive icing and lit candles. Instantly she sensed that this time she had made a really big gaffe with her magic when the top of the edible monstrosity suddenly exploded and showered her and all of the other students in the hall with its white icing. Then out of it flew a whole fleet of paper airplanes which had been made out of colorful sheets of origami paper. Instantly they zeroed in on the magic carpet and quickly an aerial dogfight started above Sarah. And if things weren’t bizarre enough already she then felt something growling and nipping at her ankles so when she dove under the table to get away from the paper clip ammunition the airplanes were now strafing her with she came face to face with a maverick toy T-Rex. Apparently the dinosaur had chewed its way out through the side of the cake judging from the frosting all over it.

“Nice…um…doggie?” she said nervously which only made it growl even more fiercely before it lunged at her face with its teeth bared.

So Sarah quickly scrambled back out from under the table with a scream and promptly bumped up against the legs of Legolas the handsome elf from Mirkwood not Minas Tirith like a tabloid had reported. Now he gave her a questioning look since it wasn’t every day he had to free himself from an overly large three tiered birthday cake with the use of his two white knives a feat which he had done with his usual elvish grace which meant there was no icing adorning his clothes. And when the maverick toy T-Rex came after him as well he calmly grabbed it up in one hand and tossed it up onto the magic carpet that was zooming by over head with the whole fleet of paper airplanes in hot pursuit. After that he again looked at Sarah who by now was drooling so much at the sight of him that the dry green tea powder which was now erupting from the cake like ash from a volcano was starting to turn into a liquid in the growing puddle around her.

By now all of the other students had fled the main hall along with the magic carpet, the maverick toy T-Rex which was riding it like a surfer dude, and the fleet of paper airplanes which meant that Sarah and Legolas were alone together. And when he couldn’t rouse her out of her torpor the elf placed a cute pair of bunny slippers on her feet to keep them warm while she recuperated from all the excitement brought on by her gaffe before he left to hitch a ride back to Middle-earth on the now time traveling Black Pearl.

Ringwraith-Wife

Re: My muse may never be sane again after this!

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:30 pm

I would put up with an ENORMOUS amount of paper clip strafing if, at the end of it, "Leggy" would put bunny slippers on MY feet! You go, Girl!! Very Good, Din! - RW :rofl: :grin: :rofl:

Silivren Ithildin
Location: in Rivendell under a waterfall, also known as Mid-MO

Post by Silivren Ithildin » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:09 pm

:clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: Wow! Great jobs, DrG and Din! Loved these stories! :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow:

Sil :D
And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Anduril, Flame of the West. FOTR

"Utúlie'n aurë! Auta i lómë!"
The Children of Húrin

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:33 pm

Great job, Din. I liked it alot.

Dr.G

Dínelleth

Post by Dínelleth » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:23 am

Thanks everyone!!! :grouphug:

Sil ~ It wasn't until after I had written the tea part did I realize that you're drinking tea with tons of ice may have been the inspiration for that on a sub-conscious level. And we both know where I got the idea for the T-Rex. :wink: