The Stilt People...

Non-canon tales & verse plus other friendly writings.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

tisiphonie

The Stilt People...

Post by tisiphonie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:29 am

hey i had an idea for a short story...kinda a children's story/fairytale type of thing but i was wondering if you guys could tell me what you think? also, if you read something that you think you've read before and i've accidentally lifted from somewhere else, please let me know!

here is a brief synopsis...

once upon a time...far far away, long long ago etc etc.. :P
there was a kingdom ruled over by a good King. He had ruled for many years and the kingdom flourished under his guidance. However, his brother had married a woman who could not seem to take her eyes off the throne. Nobody knew, but secretly she was an evil sorceress.
The evil sorceress devises a plan to take over the kingdom...and does. (yes, this is a very brief synopsis!)

When the new, evil queen is in power, things very quickly take a turn for the worse in the kingdom. Evil at such a scale cannot go without consequence, and in the queen's case, the consequence was the birth of the Beasts. Scaly, horned, fierce and dangerous, the Beasts began to appear all over the land. For whenever the queen cast an evil spell, a Beast would be born.

The people of the kingdom have to find a way to adjust to this...and as the Beasts cannot fly, they decide to take to the trees. They build huge stilts to wear, and new homes in the trees. Towering above the Beasts they are safe...

A hundred years has passed since the sorceress queen took over the kingdom, and there are so many beasts now it is almost impossible for the people to do simple things like collect water. They have forgotten simple things like the feel of the grass between their toes, and swimming in the lakes and pools.

Two children who live in the kingdom decide to take matters into their own hands, they have never been able to walk on the ground without their stilts and are dying to live a life without fear. So they set off on a journey to save the kingdom...

ok. so yes i admit the setting off on a perilous journey to save the land from an evil force is a very familiar concept...*ahem*
but i like to think that it's one that doesn't grow old easily!
anyway. tell me what you think!

HobbitNaga

Re: The Stilt People...

Post by HobbitNaga » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:01 pm

Ooh! I love this idea. I think the stilts are very imaginative. If you write this please post some so we can read it.
"I belong to both worlds and neither."-Tarkau in Epic

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:58 pm

Ooh! How inventive! But what happens if the beasts tip their stilts? Or perhaps the stilts have sharp points? ;)

I can't wait to see what happens next! :read:
All that glitters has a high refractive index.

Primula

Post by Primula » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:30 pm

What a very interesting concept - brings the folks who live up above the swamps to mind. I admit I am immediately wondering how you would keep a Beast from just knocking your stilts out from under you and looking forward to whatever the creative answer may be. Certainly worth pursuing, I would think. :yes:

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:30 am

Maybe they also carry long pokey things with them to reach down and stab at any Beast that might try to topple them. :poke:
All that glitters has a high refractive index.