Thrifty finds

Casual chatty conversing and games.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Primula

Thrifty finds

Post by Primula » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:53 am

I went to Good Will yesterday to hunt for shirts for Treble, who is wearing through all his elbows and while I struck out in that department, I did find the most beautiful little writing box in birdseye maple, the kind you might hold on your lap with the tilted surface and a place for a notebook and pens inside.

It was all scuffy and only 4 bucks - I couldn't believe it. Took it home and gave it a good rubbing with wood oils and it's just lovely. I put it by my bed, it makes me feel all Jane-Austenish or something. :write:

What are some of your favorite thrift store/garage-sale type finds you've had?

onónë

Re: Thrifty finds

Post by onónë » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:34 pm

I have a friend who has a Goodwill club card because he shops there so much! He regularly calls me from there ... "Hey! I'm at Goodwill! Guess what I found!..." I'm not much of a Goodwill shopper... but I feel like I live vicariously through him. ;-)

Some of the great finds have been these foot-locker things that keep turning up. He has about 6 or so of them now... I think they're amazingly cool -- great storage AND they look fun. :-)

Pippin's Sunshine

Post by Pippin's Sunshine » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:06 pm

It sounds bad and my mom hates me for mentioning it, but I am quite proud of the fact. I found my wedding dress at a garage sale. It didn't have the size in it, but it looked like it would fit. I paid $15 and it is gorgeous! I took it home and it fit perfect, so I get to wear it for real in a month!
“I will not bow to this Ranger from the North, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship”
“Authority is not given to you to deny the Return of the King, Steward!” :gandalf:

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:29 pm

What a neat find!
Since probably 2/3rds of everything I own, I have picked up second hand, it's hard to pick a favorite. Maybe the antique singer sewing machine & table with drawers that my daughter uses for a desk...$40 at goodwill.

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Post by lindorie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:54 pm

I have a weakness for silk. I love silk sweaters, especially. I have found several over the last year since I have been dropping weight. They are great for the climate here, being both warm and cool. I can wear them in a much larger range of temperatures than wool or acrylic and they look nice so much longer than cotton.

I also found a lovely silk long dress that I have worn to church, but it is suitable for any summer party, being a hawaiian style. It's been a while since I tried it on and I hope it still fits and isn't too big now. I paid the most for it and got it for $6.

I also have discovered that I love a couple of the Gap Jeans styles. I can't afford them at their stores, but have two pairs, a boot cut pair and a flair pair that fit great and look fabulous....and for only $4 a pair!

Primula

Post by Primula » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Pip, that is so cool! I wish I had done that, I remember thinking my wedding dress had really been something of a waste of money afterwards, I mean you only wear it once... I still have it, because I don't know what to do with it, lol... Maybe I should sell it at a garage sale!

Rosie, your entire home is so incredibly beautiful and unique, you have that touch to take secondhand and turn it into gold. No wonder picking a favorite is hard.

Some things I still remember even after several years, like the time I dropped in on a rummage sale and got my kitchenaide mixer. :-) Several of the things in my home are from scratch-n-dent sales or thrift stores, I can't imagine trying to buy all of it new.

Footlockers are a great idea for storage, especially if you decorate them.

lindorie

Post by lindorie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:03 pm

LOL, I have worn my wedding dress...for this marriage, anyway, a couple of times since the wedding, but it is destined for a sale at this point because it is a size 14W and I am a size 10 now! I am not planning on going up there again! It's a really lovely white linen sleeveless sheath with a crocheted jacket over it. I might be able to get the dress altered, though it would be a lot of altering, but the jacket simply cannot be fixed...and that was my favorite part. :cry:

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:22 am

Congrats on the size 10! :yay:
Thanks Prim! :-) Now, if I could just keep my kids from trashing everything they touch. :shock: :roll:

bregotamer

Post by bregotamer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:06 am

I don't have much time to shop for fun, actually, but I love to look for favorite children's books at thrift stores! I have found tons of Dr.Suess books that I haven't seen in years. And I pay no more than 30 to 50 cents!

Hey, Rosie, let me know if you ever find a way of keeping your kids from trashing everything they touch. :banghead: :faint:
My friends, you bow to no one."

vison

Post by vison » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:23 pm

I never seem to have the time to do garage sales, but I do pop into Value Village and the Mennonite Central Committee thrift shop now and again.

I have found dozens of beautiful table cloths, so many I have promised myself not to buy any more. Canning jars, coffee mugs for the workshop; replacement carafes for coffee makers - I had to pay $35 for a replacement carafe once, and will never do it again. Value Village (also known as The Double V Boutique . . . :grin: ) has dozens of them all the time, for every brand known, from about $1.99 to $4.99.

Best of all, my quite embarassingly extensive collection of Le Creuset enameled cast iron cookware. I simply CANNOT resist this stuff. I only buy it if it's in good shape, and now I have so many pieces it's hard to find cupboard space. New, it is terribly expensive. I bought the big, big pot for $20 at Value Village, and it's over $300 new. Mine was a bit grubby, but a good soak in TSP and hot water and it came up just like new.

My youngest sister goes to Goodwill in Seattle about twice a year, she is a fiend for bargains and always makes wonderful scores. And she has "the eye", you know, like Rosie, can make the old junk look like a million dollars.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 pm

I LOVE Le Creuset cookware. It was a find, though not at a store. My wife's grandmother died a while back, and while we were there, folks were picking through the furniture. I asked (not wishing to offend anyone) if I could see her Kitchen and wound up with a rather nice set of Blue, including dutch ovens, skillets, sauce pans, large pots, and even bakeware.

Now I want to go see if I can find a few more at Goodwill ... Thanks for the suggestion, Vison.

Dr.G
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

Calafalas

Post by Calafalas » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:54 pm

I love thrift shopping and garage saling. Easily 75% of my wardrobe comes from there. My most recent fave find is a beautiful Italian teapot. Recycled bookstores are also favorite haunts, where I was most fortunate to discover Tolkien's Father Christmas in December! woooohoooo
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. John Muir

lindorie

Post by lindorie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Ooooh I got a goodie today! I found a sage green Pendelton wool suit at the Salvation Army store that fits like it was made for me. Needless to say, it's in my closet now! It's cold this weekend so it will get worn to church tomorrow! I paid $12.99 for it. :dance:

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Go Lind! Pendleton makes good stuff.

I was just at The Bins today hunting for baskets and interesting containers to heap things into for our preschool raffle coming up and ended up bringing home a 1930 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook - it's green and silver and just.... cool! :read:

Primula

Post by Primula » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:09 am

*bump*

We were just being happy over here about a pair of very nice fashionable boots we found for Starflower for $7, not to mention any number of very cool things I've found cheap and consequently sold on Etsy for more over this past year and this old thread came to mind. Any recent treasures you've had the delight to unearth? Anything 'repurposed' or 'upcycled' to be enjoyed in your home?

I recently found a very funky leather cape thing from the 70s, it's like a very heavy poncho with embroidery on it and in lovely condition - I can't decide whether to play about with the leather or resell it - I really enjoy the way digging about brings up such unusual things I would never see in a regular store now.