In honor of National Cornchip Day - A Recipe!

Casual chatty conversing and games.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:20 pm

Corn Chip Toffee

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups corn chips, like Fritos brand
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
  • 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Coarsely chop or crush the corn chips, and sprinkle them in an even layer over the bottom of the baking sheet. It’s okay if there are a few holes, but try to get the chips to cover as much area as possible. Sprinkle the peanut butter chips over the corn chips.
  3. Place the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and allow it to gradually melt. Once melted, add the brown sugar and stir until incorporated. At first the mixture will look broken, but whisk or stir vigorously and it will eventually come together.
  4. Bring the brown sugar and butter mixture to a boil and allow it to boil for one minute, stirring occasionally.
  5. After one minute, remove the candy from the heat and pour it in a thin, even stream over the corn chips on the baking sheet, trying to cover as many of the chips as possible.
  6. Bake the corn chip mixture for 6-8 minutes. The toffee should spread during this time, and be bubbling and golden brown when you remove it from the oven.
  7. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the hot toffee and allow them to soften for 1-2 minutes. Once soft, spread the chocolate with an offset spatula or knife into an even layer. While the chocolate is still soft, sprinkle the top with the chopped peanuts and press down gently to adhere the nuts to the chocolate.
  8. Refrigerate the candy to set the chocolate and toffee, for about 45 minutes. Once set, break into pieces by hand and serve. You can store Corn Chip Toffee in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week, but it is best a day or two after it is made, as the chips start to lose their crunch after a few days.
These are sooooo good!
Purveyor of ancient songs

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:56 am

I will have to give these a whirl. They sound Yummy!
Thanks, Yar

Who knew there WAS a National Cornchip day?!?!
(other than you, obviously...and the Frito Bandito!)
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

yaralindi

Re: In honor of National Cornchip Day - A Recipe!

Post by yaralindi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:56 pm

They are fantastic! Alas, Nurse lets me make them then she and Dee get to eat them. For some reason she seems to think they do bad things for my blood pressure and blood sugar. I argue that a little couldn't hurt and she responds with, "Who's the nurse?" In between bites, of course.

It's also National Puzzle Day, but you can't eat a puzzle so that didn't seem to go with The Kitchen theme.

I'm really looking forward to the 20th of February - National Cherry Pie Day! W00T!

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:52 pm

You can if the pieces are made of Corn Chip Toffee...Try to put the pieces back together after breaking them...into a smaller pan (you get to nibble them into the correct shape...and you don't get to share.)
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:31 pm

Oooo, I likes it! :grin:

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:45 pm

OOOOH. Crunchy. :P