Who was Tom Bombadil referring to?

On-topic discussion of Tolkien's works and world.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Peredhil

Who was Tom Bombadil referring to?

Post by Peredhil » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:30 pm

Among other books, I've been re-reading LOTR. Each time I get to the Old Forest piece, I wonder about this part.
FOTR: Chapter 8 - Fog on the Barrow-Downs wrote:It was still fairly early by the sun, something between nine and ten, and the hobbits turned their minds to food. Their last meal had been lunch beside the standing stone the day before. They breakfasted now off the remainder of Tom's provisions, meant for their supper, with additions that Tom had brought with him. It was not a large meal (considering hobbits and the circumstances), but they felt much better for it. While they were eating Tom went up to the mound, and looked through the treasures. Most of these he made into a pile that glistened and sparkled on the grass. He bade them lie there 'free to all finders, birds, beasts. Elves or Men, and all kindly creatures'; for so the spell of the mound should be broken and scattered and no Wight ever come back to it. He chose for himself from the pile a brooch set with blue stones, many-shaded like flax-flowers or the wings of blue butterflies. He looked long at it, as if stirred by some memory, shaking his head, and saying at last:

'Here is a pretty toy for Tom and for his lady! Fair was she who long ago wore this on her shoulder. Goldberry shall wear it now, and we will not forget her!'
Particularly I am interested in the bolded piece about the brooch. After reading the Silmarillion, I still have no idea who Tom is referring to when he says, "she who long ago wore this." I have not read Tolkein's letters so I'm not sure if the prof explained this, but does anyone have any insight on who the brooch belonged to and how it could have ended up in the barrow downs?

sarahstitcher

Re: Who was Tom Bombadil referring to?

Post by sarahstitcher » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:49 pm

I don't really know either but I have wondered the same thing. I would guess she would have been a woman of Arnor, or rather one of the three kingdoms it was divided into. the barrows I think date from that time, after the northern kingdom was divided in three and then beset both with civil strife and the witch king in Angmar.
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:31 am

What a great question! Unfortunately, I have no answers, though I think Sarah is on the right track. Yet another little mystery left to us by the Professor.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Laiquendi

Post by Laiquendi » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:22 am

Well some of the oldest Barrow-downs date back to the First Age, when Men were young and learnt from the Elves. So it is possible, like Barahir's Ring, that the brooch was a gift of the Noldor that was passed down the family until it was buried.

That opens up a whole load of possibilities, for it could potentially be of Valinorean design. This would be in keeping with the theory of Tom's age, since to him would a few thousand years really consitute "long ago" ?

Interesting.... :think:
Don't blame me for the size of my ego, it's just proportionate to the size of my genius! :grin:

Primula

The woman of the brooch...

Post by Primula » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:28 am

I have also wondered about this one, and thought that perhaps he had (yet another) story in the back of his mind that was never written, or was lost. It would make an excellent base for a "gap filling" bit of fanfic, using the age of the barrows, the battles and of Tom to set the stage.

vison

Re: The woman of the brooch...

Post by vison » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:47 pm

There was a pretty decent fanfic based on this brooch in one of last year's Amon Hen magazine, sorry I don't recall which issue.

Peredhil

Post by Peredhil » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:00 pm

Laiquendi wrote:...So it is possible, like Barahir's Ring, that the brooch was a gift of the Noldor that was passed down the family until it was buried...
This is the line of thought I had but I thought there may have been a tidbit of hints somewhere in the prof's works :mutter: ...I believe this would be the most probable explaination...
vison wrote:There was a pretty decent fanfic based on this brooch in one of last year's Amon Hen magazine,...
Now this would be an interesting read! :up:
Primula wrote:I have also wondered about this one, and thought that perhaps he had (yet another) story in the back of his mind that was never written, or was lost.
Tricksy, prof :twisted:

Thanks to all who took a moment to respond...

I'm glad it wasnt just me overlooking details! :-)

Ashlyn

Post by Ashlyn » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:23 pm

Peredhil wrote:
Laiquendi wrote:...So it is possible, like Barahir's Ring, that the brooch was a gift of the Noldor that was passed down the family until it was buried...
This is the line of thought I had but I thought there may have been a tidbit of hints somewhere in the prof's works :mutter: ...I believe this would be the most probable explaination...
My thoughts on this are, if it was a gift from the Noldor and passed down as a family heirloom, wouldn't it have passed through the senior branch of Arthedain, instead of through the cadet branch of Cardolan?

I've skimmed through the HoME books and can't find anything more pertinant to this than what is in LOTR Appendix, in The North-kingdom and the Dúnedain:
'It is said that the mounds of Tyrn Gorthad, as the Barrowdowns were called of old, are very ancient, and that many were built in the days of the old world of the First Age by the forefathers of the Edain, before they crossed the Blue Mountains into Beleriand, of which Lindon is all that now remains. Those hills were therefore revered by the Dúnedain after their return; and there many of their lords and Kings were buried. (Some say that the mound in which the Ring-bearer was imprisoned had been the grave of the last prince of Cardolan, who fell in the war of 1409.)'
My best guess, going from this, would be that it was the wife or daughter of the last prince of Cardolan.
He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat.

sarahstitcher

Post by sarahstitcher » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:58 pm

Ashlyn wrote:[snip]
My thoughts on this are, if it was a gift from the Noldor and passed down as a family heirloom, wouldn't it have passed through the senior branch of Arthedain, instead of through the cadet branch of Cardolan?
[snip]
My best guess, going from this, would be that it was the wife or daughter of the last prince of Cardolan.
good sleuthing!
It might have passed from a senior branch to a cadet branch if it belonged to a daughter who was married off? and then passed down to her daughter, rather than through her older brother back home? Just guessing.
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.

Evermind

I've always wondered too.... Wish we knew the answer!...nt

Post by Evermind » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:06 pm

I've always wondered too.... Wish we knew the answer!
*Big Slimy Gollum Hugs!*Death to the Evilstar!*Aure Entuluva!*Glorfindel Supporters Unite!*