Any Suggestions?

On-topic discussion of Tolkien's works and world.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Nobleman

Any Suggestions?

Post by Nobleman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:16 am

Ok, here is my plan. I am determined to build a house under a hill in the beautiful English countryside (or have it built for me), and I want to live out the rest of my days in a replica of Bag-End, spending winter writing stories at my desk, next to a quaint fireplace hosting gentle, dancing flames of passionate yellow; and in the summer, I'll sit outside in the garden and let my beautiful surroundings endear my senses whilst I bathe in the music of the happy songbirds.

That's basically how I want to live my life. Anyone got any ideas how I could make my dreams come true once I am able to fund it? (which will be in the next two years)

:D
There's always been a Baggins living here ... under the hill ... in Bag-End. And there always will be.

Primula

Any Suggestions?

Post by Primula » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:54 am

Well... I suppose you'd have to start with either purchasing that bit of land or finding a small cottage you could remodel, if the local land-use rules allow it - sounds lovely! I've seen some folks who have accomplished it, such as
this one. And here's a floor-plan if you want to attempt a real Bag End experience, lol...

Of course you'll need a greenhouse for that garden, and a gardener to tend it. I hear the Gamgee family has a young son who's been pretty reliable.

suzie-sheelf

Any Suggestions?

Post by suzie-sheelf » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:56 am

Wow, good luck that sounds wonderful. Perhaps you should talk with an architect.

Nobleman

Re: Any Suggestions?

Post by Nobleman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:42 am

Primula wrote:Well... I suppose you'd have to start with either purchasing that bit of land or finding a small cottage you could remodel, if the local land-use rules allow it - sounds lovely! I've seen some folks who have accomplished it, such as
this one. And here's a floor-plan if you want to attempt a real Bag End experience, lol...

Of course you'll need a greenhouse for that garden, and a gardener to tend it. I hear the Gamgee family has a young son who's been pretty reliable.
Oh my god I am over the moon! Thanks so much for this, it has really made my year! I am going to contact the man who done this and find out how I can do the same. It looks like it won't cost too much as well!

:D
There's always been a Baggins living here ... under the hill ... in Bag-End. And there always will be.

Sylvania

Post by Sylvania » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:15 am

Good luck with this Nobleman - it sounds fantastic!! Keep us in formed with how your plans are going please! :D
CXXXEP

Primula

Post by Primula » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:12 pm

Best of luck! We're looking forward to pictures!

:gandalf: I'm giving you a Bag End avatar. If it suits anyone, I think it would suit you best. (of course you can change it if you like.)

frodosmiss

Post by frodosmiss » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:58 am

May I suggest a Fellowship moot when Nobleman gets the place finished? Sounds like living in a dream~ how lucky you will be when you can make this happen! :-)
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Mathom

Post by Mathom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm green with envy. :sick: