The Dragon and the ....Goat

On-topic discussion of Tolkien's works and world.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Varda

The Dragon and the ....Goat

Post by Varda » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:33 pm

As everyone must know by now, I live in Dublin. Or rather, on the southern side of Dublin Bay. Close to me is a town called Dalkey. Even though it is seven miles from Dublin, in the Middle Ages it was the port of Dublin, as it had a safe deep harbour that did not silt up every six months.

The later Middle Ages here were a turbulent brew of native Irish, Viking, English and Norman, and the area has a lot of castles, or fortified houses as they are properly called. Dalkey main street has two castles, a medieval church and a graveyard.

The town is twinned with the Welsh island of Anglesey, and on Sunday a choir visited Dalkey from Wales. This was made the centre of a medieval pageant in the town. The Welsh brought a dragon, a papier maché monster carried by six men, and the Irish fielded a Goat, symbol of Dalkey. The local schools provided two armies, dressed in gold and red for the dragon and blue and silver for the Goat, and an actor and actress played Mannanan Mac Lír and Thé, the Irish god of the Sea and the Welsh goddess of the sun. With much drumming, flute playing and a lot of fun the Dragon and the Goat met in battle on the main street.

After peace was made, the parade went on to a medieval village in the local sports ground. There the dominance of The Lord of The Rings became clear.

I went in my medieval outfit, and hoped to get a go with a longbow. But there was too many excited nippers in the queue. The first into the queue, though, was a tall teenager wearing a sweatshirt with the Elvish character for Nine on the back. The friends chanted Legolas, Legolas as he hit the butt in the middle.

There was a stall set up by Irish Arms, a company who make replica Irish medieval arms and clothes. These are slightly different from the European and Eastern ones that inspired the weapons of the Lord of The Rings films. Medieval Irish warfare was dominated by Scottish mercenaries called Gallowglasses who fought with broadswords and pole axes. There was not much call for cavalry, archers or plate armour.
But there was a lot of chain mail, and there was a shirt of it on display.

'There's Frodo's mithril shirt!' cried the kids, crowding round.
'And there's Legolas's arrows!' they said when they saw the medieval arrows.

The guys who ran the stall took it with good humour, even though they were actually archaeologists who were very anxious to get everything accurate. They told me that it is almost impossible to interest farming people in these arts, but the fantasy fans lap it up.

It is actually a nice thought, and I believe Tolkien would be happy about it too, that fans of The Lord of The Rings help keep up medieval craft fairs and ancient arts. It's also a chance to air Beren's cloak and let Brunhilde have a go with a Scottish broadsword....

thanks

Varda :wink:

Ladyhawk Baggins

Re: The Dragon and the ....Goat

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:14 pm

How fun! And thanks so much for sharing the day, like taking a mini vacation on this side of the pond. :-)
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

Bregalad

This country I live in is so new that there is little...txt

Post by Bregalad » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:04 pm

in the way of castles or keeps or any other ancient dwellings to build medieval celebrations around. We have to make do with Renaissance fairs and groups like the SCA. But we can always depend on our friends across the pond, like you, to give us glimpses of the festivities. Thanks for sharing.

Ooh, I would so like a t-shirt like that teenager. That would be so cool.

daughter_of_kings

Re: This country I live in is so new that there is little...

Post by daughter_of_kings » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:01 am

Bregalad wrote:in the way of castles or keeps or any other ancient dwellings to build medieval celebrations around. We have to make do with Renaissance fairs and groups like the SCA. But we can always depend on our friends across the pond, like you, to give us glimpses of the festivities. Thanks for sharing.

Ooh, I would so like a t-shirt like that teenager. That would be so cool.
Ditto!
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:08 am

The shirt? Forget the shirt - I want to be tall and willowy and be able to hit the target right in the middle! :wink:

Thanks, V.!

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:11 pm

Primula wrote:The shirt? Forget the shirt - I want to be tall and willowy and be able to hit the target right in the middle! :wink:

Thanks, V.!
Hear! Hear!! :lol:
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

Varda

The Elves of Dalkey

Post by Varda » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Oh this kid was an Elf, no question. He was tall and graceful and had long tawny hair and bent the bow as if made for it. Actually, the archer monitoring the shooting was letting the kids use a modern bow, but when he saw this lad he gave him the wooden longbow. I wondered how he got the sweatshirt...

Well, yes Bregalad and Daughter of Kings, I live in a very historic area. I can walk to about four or five fortified houses, and this area paid what was called the Black Rent, money to keep the Gaelic tribes of Wicklow from raiding. But there are places where there were massacres and where there were plague pits, and on a winter morning the mist lies longer in those hollows. Life for the upper classes was violent, and for the lower classes, it was slavery.

Do you remember the dream Pippin I think it was had in the Barrow-wight's tomb? He imagined he was slain in an ancient battle, and felt a spear in his chest. These ancient places do conjure up such visions. I felt a sensation of great threat once when I was up on the battlements of Goat Castle in Dalkey town, even though that castle was not really an important place and probably did not see much fighting. I just wanted to get out of it. And I found the ancient church there, St Begnets, terrifying.

That is one thing that marks Tolkien off from other fantasy writers (one of many, actually) his sense of time. His world has a past, and it is like ours, stretching back to an ancient time that haunts us, fascinates us and sometimes terrifies us. Drawing on Anglo-Saxon language and history, Tolkien is recreating in his fantasy that ancient world. And in a way, so are the medieval fairs with their arts and crafts, weapons and recreations of medieval life.

But don't feel you miss out because you don't have castles. They were built when the basic economic unit was a woman slave, and every fortified household had a 'murder hole' over the door.

Nice times, nicer people... :|

(I hasten to mention my own ancestors were among the worst :oops: )

Varda

sarahstitcher

Re: The Elves of Dalkey

Post by sarahstitcher » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:58 pm

what a cool event! I wish I could have seen that archer. :D
I did get to see a little bit of SCA type combat at a wedding reception this past weekend, but no archery. Archery is so elegant, not like the silliness of heavy combat... no offense intended to any who do it! I know plenty of folks who think Morris dancing is silly, and I could watch that all day and not get bored.
Glad that Beren has turned up!
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.

Avondster

Re: The Elves of Dalkey

Post by Avondster » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:37 am

That sounds wonderful, my dear V! And it's true what you say, fantasy and especially fantasy films like LOTR help to keep the interest in ancient history alive, especially among the young ones. Which is a very, very good thing.

I hope you enjoyed yourself there, and I wish I could have been there with you. It sure sounds fun. And you found Beren! Woohoo! Does this mean that Lúthien will be reunited with him at RingCon, and they will run into the forest, laughing joyfully?
Varda wrote: Do you remember the dream Pippin I think it was had in the Barrow-wight's tomb? He imagined he was slain in an ancient battle, and felt a spear in his chest.
*whispers* It was Merry, actually. :roll:
"I'm a Hobbit, and I know I can't save Middle-Earth. I just want to help my friends. More than anything I wish I could see them again."
- Merry, 'The Return of the King' Extended Edition

Varda

Hire-an-orc

Post by Varda » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:52 pm

..sorry about that Avondster :oops: I should have checked it but finding anything, especially a book this week is next to impossible. I had to clear the house of all the furniture. Some of it had woodworm, some of it was too big for the place I am going and some was just awful seventies bling. So I hired these orcs who said they would flatten it and take it away. And they threw it down my granite steps to smash it up! My posh neighbours were horrified!

I have to leave this area now, I can't raise my head here any more.... :oops:

So yes, Beren and Luthien can run off into the forest together :tea: as during the great Orc Destruction I found my outfit! I will have to burnish up the silver, but Beren was a bit battered too if I can remember from the book. From Beren to Aragorn, Tolkien's heroes are a bit rough. :drool:

Thanks, Avondster/Beren, looking forward to Friday!

Varda 8)