The women at Helm's Deep

On-topic discussion of Tolkien's works and world.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Evermind

*Snicker!* Very probably!... txt

Post by Evermind » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:46 pm

*Snicker!* Very probably! Well I mean... come on! The men of Rohan weren't exactly beauty queens! Bet the women were quite glad of the change! :wink:

-Ev.
*Big Slimy Gollum Hugs!*Death to the Evilstar!*Aure Entuluva!*Glorfindel Supporters Unite!*

Overlithe64

Re: *Snicker!* Very probably!... txt

Post by Overlithe64 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:55 pm

Evermind wrote:*Snicker!* Very probably! Well I mean... come on! The men of Rohan weren't exactly beauty queens! Bet the women were quite glad of the change! :wink:

-Ev.
I guess we should be glad the men didn't run off to primp.
At the last moment he turned back, it was Frodo the darkness and pain were gone...
His healing had begun.

daughter_of_kings

Re: The women at Helm's Deep

Post by daughter_of_kings » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:03 am

I don't remember where I saw/read it, but I remember something along the lines that the movie images of the "helpless" women and children at Helm's Deep were done to show what the men were fighting for... not just for lands/kingdoms/good v. evil, but to protect their families. Sort of a statement of 'this is what is worth fighting and dying for', communicated in pictures.

As for the book, I do agree with what others have said, that Tolkien intended to create a tradition of fighting women as a basis for Eowyn, but couldn't overcome his chivalric attitudes to actually depict the reality.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.