Why September ?

On-topic discussion of Tolkien's works and world.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

daisy gold

Why September ?

Post by daisy gold » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Why September?
The feast day of Saint Michael the Archangel is celebrated on 29 September, Michaelmas Day.
It is also the day Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel boarded a ship at the Grey Havens and sailed away from Middle-earth. A day that holds both sadness and joy. I often wonder why Tolkien chose that date. Did he have something special in mind? He was very particular about what he wrote.
I like to think St Michael is with those who travel to the undying lands. In our church we often say the prayer to St. Michael. He is the angel who protects the souls of all the deceased on their journey to heaven. He is also the patron saint of warriors.

Endings and Beginnings
Tolkien placed significant dates in September. It is the month when Frodo and Bilbo are born but it is also when their story ends at the Havens. I recall hearing Tolkien say in a documentary that a dominant theme in LoTR is Death. So maybe this could be why he chose the 29th Sept for their departure. The day he would have known as special to St Michael. The day Frodo and Bilbo die to middle earth but begin a new adventure in the Blessed Land.
It is when the Galadriel, and Elrond also sail from the Havens. The power of the elves is ending and the responsibility for Earth now lies with Man. A new age, the 4th age now begins.
For me, September is like the start of a new year, a time for beginnings. Like Frodo and Bilbo it’s the time for adventures or to try something new. . For many years it was the beginning of a new school year with new challenges that I would look forward to.
Now I look forward to travelling with old friends in LoTR again and the films too. And looking to see Middle earth on tv.

Daisy
He beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.