"Old Fashioned" threads

Offer ideas and thoughts about these boards. Ask for help. And Stuff.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Primula

"Old Fashioned" threads

Post by Primula » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:28 pm

I was wondering what the RSS feed thing is Earrame referred to on the Pony at Decipher, but Decipher won't let me respond... :roll: - whatever it is, is it compatible with phpbb, and secure? We'll find out...

Unfortunately, it could take a loooong time for us to reconfigure the threads code to resemble webbbs (what the "old boards" were) - we couldn't use the old software because it was full of security holes. I'm sorry that what we could install doesn't allow for subject only at this point, but we'll put it on the list to see if it can be changed or not. :tongue:

We do want to be working that direction, to make it "better" that way, but it'll take patience - it's quite hard to change anything in the code without breaking something else when you do. :shock:

Linaewen
Site Admin

Re: "Old Fashioned" threads

Post by Linaewen » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:01 am

Primula wrote:I was wondering what the RSS feed thing is Earrame referred to on the Pony at Decipher, but Decipher won't let me respond... :roll: - whatever it is, is it compatible with phpbb, and secure? We'll find out...

Unfortunately, it could take a loooong time for us to reconfigure the threads code to resemble webbbs (what the "old boards" were) - we couldn't use the old software because it was full of security holes. I'm sorry that what we could install doesn't allow for subject only at this point, but we'll put it on the list to see if it can be changed or not. :tongue:

We do want to be working that direction, to make it "better" that way, but it'll take patience - it's quite hard to change anything in the code without breaking something else when you do. :shock:
Interestingly enough, I find myself comfortable now with the phpbb, and quickly switched back to it from the threaded view. Maybe because that view wasn't quite the same as what I had been used to, but I don't mind this view now. I find it quicker and easier to see at a glance what everyone has said on the topic, and yet I still have the option of replying to an individual comment without having to quote it. I think I will switch back and forth to the threaded view and see if it grows on me, but for now I'm sticking to the "old new-fashioned" way, hehe!

Thanks for what you HAVE accomplished, even just having a smaller group of dedicated folk in a place that won't disappear on us when we need it most is a real blessing. I can be contentedly patient for even more blessings in the future.

:comfort:
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

Queen of Gondor

Post by Queen of Gondor » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:46 pm

Prim, thanks so much for all you've done already, and if you can ever get it to be the same as before, that would be awesome. But, I have to agree with Lin. I tried the threaded view and also found myself switching right back.

Thanks again, Prim! :D

~Queenie~
"I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil." - Gandalf

Ladyhawk Baggins

I'm finding I like the thread, now that I'm getting... txt

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:26 pm

used to it all over again. :lol: It brings back one of the things I really liked: at a quick glance I can see who's been in today, regardless of whether or not we're here at the same time. :D Thanks for the feature, Prim!
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

admin
Site Admin

You might give the threaded view one more try... (txt)

Post by admin » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:14 am

...now that the threads are shown in the same order as they were on the old Decipher boards. :-)

Linaewen
Site Admin

Re: You might give the threaded view one more try... (txt)

Post by Linaewen » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:47 am

I've actually made the switch back to threaded, as I was finding it hard to figure out who was replying to whom -- which is easy to do when viewing it in threaded format. Now it will be even easier! Thanks for your hard work to make our days fun!
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

Ashlyn

Hmm ... yes, that does make a difference, doesn't it . . nt

Post by Ashlyn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:02 am

:poke:
He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat.

sarahstitcher

Re: Hmm ... yes, that does make a difference, doesn't it . .

Post by sarahstitcher » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:42 am

Ashlyn wrote::poke:
does that mean it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?
Or you're giving it a poke to see what it does?
:D
I like being able to toggle back and forth too, I like the thread view for the whole forum (looks and acts most like the old old boards) and the flat view for actually reading the whole thing.

Ashlyn

hehe . . . txt

Post by Ashlyn » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:16 pm

sarahstitcher wrote:
Ashlyn wrote::poke:
does that mean it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?
Or you're giving it a poke to see what it does?
Yep!

*What is it?*

*I don't know*

*What does it do?*

*I don't know that either!*

*Well, poke it and see what it does.*

*I'm not poking it ... ... ... you poke it!*

*No way! I don't wanna get in trouble if it breaks!*

;)
He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat.

Lithilien Quicksilver

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:56 pm

Well, I just want to say, Prim, that I am loving the threads! Feels so much more like home, and I can see at a glance who has been around.
White shores are calling... You and I will meet again.

Ladyhawk Baggins

LOL!!! nt

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:23 pm

:rofl:
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

Rosie

love the threads!

Post by Rosie » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:53 pm

((((Threaded feature)))) A little taste of the good ol' days. I did notice that you can't just have a (NT) post though. Not enough space for a one-liner, and the software requires something to be posted in the topic. No biggie though, and it's great to have the option to switch back and forth. Still can't believe Decipher could never pull that off for us. :roll:

sarahstitcher

Re: hehe . . . txt

Post by sarahstitcher » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:42 am

:lol: :lol:
Especially when it comes to computers, I've learned to be careful what I poke! One time I accidentally poked something in Eudora and the three windows that were neatly tiled came undone and misbehaved until I could figure out how to undo and put them back.

fellowshipfan

Thank you, Prim, for the "Old Fashioned" threads..

Post by fellowshipfan » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:55 pm

I like them better because I can get an overview of everything that is being talked about. It does take more time to see everything because you have to click on each message if you want to read it, but it's easier to find stuff. :D
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.