Sean Astin shows his range

Swoon for the actors, actresses and crew of LOTR.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

IVotedForMayorGamgee

Sean Astin shows his range

Post by IVotedForMayorGamgee » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:17 am

I have a movie (new to DVD) to suggest for those of you who don't mind a bit of horror in your drama: Borderland. It's based on a grisly true story about the ritual sacrifice killings of student vacationers conducted by a group of drug dealers in Mexico in 1989. The movie is more of an art house crime drama than a slasher pic, however, and it's beautifully filmed and acted. There are a few scenes of intense violence, which chronicle the killings, but most of the film is psychological in nature and dependent on building suspense. Sean Astin's chilling Dennis Hopper-esque performance as a crazed and murderous gang member, in particular, is absolutely riveting to watch. (It's lovely to see him get an opportunity to show his range like this!) You can hear an interview with co-writer and director Zev Berman at Art Film Talk here. So, if you like your films well made and a tad disturbing, I highly recommend it!
Last edited by IVotedForMayorGamgee on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I give you this toast: To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees."
-J.R.R. Tolkien, from a 1958 speech

Ringwraith-Wife

Re: Sean Astin shows his range

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Thanks for the tip... I wouldn't have ordered this one. I just added it to my netflix list. :hi:

IVotedForMayorGamgee

Post by IVotedForMayorGamgee » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Ringwraith-Wife wrote:Thanks for the tip... I wouldn't have ordered this one. I just added it to my netflix list. :hi:
You're most welcome! I hope you enjoy it, too!
"I give you this toast: To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees."

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Fri May 09, 2008 5:05 pm

Speaking of showing his range, Sean is appearing in Taming of The Shrew in LA... according to this auction on eBay... oh yeah, Rita Wilson & Tom Hanks are in it too... and... if our pockets were deep enough... we could be in it, as well.

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... y-auctions

Lithilien Quicksilver

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Fri May 09, 2008 5:10 pm

What has it got in its pocketses?

Nothing, Precioussss, absolutely nothing!

How cool would that be?
White shores are calling... You and I will meet again.

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Fri May 09, 2008 5:26 pm

I could dump out everything in my pockets, and look under the sofa cushions, and STILL not have enough to even bid on the voice mail auction.... :mutter: :mouse: :mouse: :mouse: :mouse: :mouse: RATS!!

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Fri May 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Ringwraith-Wife wrote:Speaking of showing his range, Sean is appearing in Taming of The Shrew in LA... according to this auction on eBay... oh yeah, Rita Wilson & Tom Hanks are in it too... and... if our pockets were deep enough... we could be in it, as well.

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... y-auctions

Someone paid $22,100.00 to be in this show. :mutter:

IVotedForMayorGamgee

Post by IVotedForMayorGamgee » Sat May 17, 2008 8:18 am

*wistful sigh*

folcoboffin

Post by folcoboffin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:53 pm

I'll have to check it out - psychological thrillers are my favorite. Astin does do a wide range of roles seemingly. I just saw him in a much lighter film The Final Season which pairs him with another highly versatile actor, Rachel Leigh Cook. I also wish I could see Astin's very first movie, Please Don't Hit Me, Mom (which he did with his mother), but can't find it anywhere.