Ian McKellan's King Lear on PBS

Swoon for the actors, actresses and crew of LOTR.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:19 pm

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx/?news ... &GT1=28103

Kind of a heads up/warning about Sir Ian's King Lear performance coming to PBS! 8) :shock: :wink: :!:
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." – Thomas Jefferson

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:58 pm

I've heard that his performance is superb, though I confess I could do without seeing him nude.

Seeing this is a thread about Sir Ian, here is an article in today's BBC News. (hope you don't mind me hijacking the tread Ic)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7504198.stm
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Maura Labingi

Re: Ian McKellan's King Lear on PBS

Post by Maura Labingi » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:03 pm

I'm glad Sir Ian's performance as King Lear will now be available to so many more people; its quite good!
I was lucky enough to see him and the Royal Shakespeare Company perform the play at UCLA last year, and it was truly remarkable.
And startling.
I'd heard that the play contained nudity; I was expecting to be mooned, but no...
it was full frontal.
The audience gasped!
(S'truth! The wizard doth wield a mighty staff!)

I imagine that the PBS director filming the performance will choose a tighter shot focused above the waist to stay within general-rating guidelines.

Or perhaps a warning will be displayed in a crawl across the screen: "Warning! Imminent nudity!" I don't recall PBS being much into nudity, unless things have changed in the last couple of years; I don't have broadcast TV anymore.

In any case, I hope you all will watch it and enjoy Sir Ian's interpretation of "King Lear" as much as I did. He really brought the character to life!

-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy
"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size."
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Primula

Post by Primula » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:14 am

I'd love to see some good Shakespeare - though even Gollum managed to keep a complimentary loincloth going.... sheesh....

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:05 am

For those interested, this is now available on Netflix. It is fantastic and also includes Sylvester McCoy as Lear's fool. Odd that his was the same sort of character McCoy played when he was Doctor Who.

It hath no nakedness, though one goes wretchedly cloth-ed in scant but a scrap of pants. Oh but that the days of pants should return to this fair realm.
Purveyor of ancient songs