Eärrámë's Verge: Naomi Watts

Discuss your other favorite personalities.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Eärrámë

Eärrámë's Verge: Naomi Watts

Post by Eärrámë » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:44 pm

A couple days ago I looked at this board for the first time. Now that I'm here I might as well contribute. Interesting forum. Needs more famous female swoon targets. And more pictures. That's where I come in. ;)

Although swooning is not my goal. This topic got me to thinking about favorite actors and actresses. Arriving at the point of starting this thread I find that I am hard pressed to name even one actor or actress that I can truely claim to be a favorite.

I thought about various movies and shows and I think I generally have favorite performances more so than favorite actors or actresses.

So that's what I'll explore here in the Verge. We'll see if I can shake out some favorites. :D

I'll start with the movie I have most recently (last Friday) seen. The Prestige.

Great movie! Only the second time I have ever seen Scarlett Johansson or Christian Bale for that matter. I never even heard of Christain Bale before I saw Batman Begins. The first time I saw Scarlett Johansson was last year in The Island. I really enjoyed all three of these movies. I thought about CB and SJ and tried to think of them in terms of favorites.

I got to the point of realizing I'm not really interested in Christian Bale or Scarlett Johansson. They certainly are attractive people. That they might be great people or they might be idiots is inconsequential. I can't even think of anything else they have starred in without looking it up in imdb. I must not be much of a fan of either?

But, I love the movies named above and thought their performances in those movies were excellent. Does this mean Christain Bale and Scarlett Johansson are to be named amongst my favorite movie stars?

Or course this post isn't complete without a great pic of Scarlett. This one is really good because we can admire Scarlett, not what Hollywierd wants us to think she looks like. 8)

Last edited by Eärrámë on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Eärrámë

Re: Eärrámë's Verge: Scarlett Johansson

Post by Eärrámë » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:29 pm

hmmm, no Scarlett Johansson fans? Well, me neither. :lol: But I do like that picture.

Moving along...

I've noticed over the years that I particularly enjoy performances by the lesser characters. The actresses that are in a supporting role, or perhaps even just a few scenes. Several such people and their roles in the movies come to mind. I'll start with a movie franchise that I love. 1, 2 & 3; all the chapters (so far?) in this saga have thoroughly entertained me. They also include more than one such supporting role person.

This time around we'll visit a character and performance that I thoroughly enjoy. I had not heard of this actress before Dead Man's Chest. Her portrayal of Tia Dalma was excellent; mystique, accent and mannerisms.

Naomie Harris

Primula

Post by Primula » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:29 am

Well, she certainly looks a heck of a lot better without the Tia Dalma makeup! :shock: The contrast in the two is pretty vivid.

Eärrámë

Post by Eärrámë » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:15 pm

Let's stick with Pirates for one more person. Zoe Saldana. The one female pirate in that motley crew. She got a slap on Captain Jack and told him her owed her a ship.

Great actress in both of the roles I have seen; Pirates and she was the love interest in Drumline. (another excellent movie)

She is also playing the role of Uhuru in the new Star Trek movie. 8)

Anamaria in Curse of the Black Pearl:

Zoe Saldana bonus pic. Rumor has it some of you might enjoy this one. :wink:

Eärrámë

Re: Eärrámë's Verge: Geoffrey Rush

Post by Eärrámë » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:54 pm

Still stuck in the Pirates rut. :grin:

I watched At World's End again a couple weks ago. Love that movie. It has a great cast led by Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom & Kiera Knightly.

Captain Jack Sparrow is arguably one of the most entertaining characters to come out of Hollywierd.

But, for all that, the show was stolen by Geoffrey Rush. Barbossa is fantasic!

Any Geoffrey Rush fans out there?

Pippin's Sunshine

Post by Pippin's Sunshine » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:11 am

I love that pic Earrame! I agree Geoffrey Rush is an awesome actor. He is a great funny guy in Shakespeare in Love. :-)
“I will not bow to this Ranger from the North, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship”
“Authority is not given to you to deny the Return of the King, Steward!” :gandalf:

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:06 pm

He really is a great actor. Like PIPPIN'S SUNSHINE, I too. loved him in S.I.L. Did anyone see SHINE? :grin:

Eärrámë

Post by Eärrámë » Fri May 15, 2009 7:27 am

I haven't seen SHINE. My movie watching is terribly slow. My backlog of want to see is probably longer than movies I have seen.

Part of my problem is when I have time to catch a movie I often want to revisit an old favorite, rather than tackle the want to see list. I've watched Resident Evil: Extinction like three times on Encore in less than a year. Say, while we're there...

Milla jovovich as Alice in Resident Evil.

Russian model, weapons & supernatural powers = hat trick! 8)

The only other time I have seen her was in The Fifth Element as Leelo; the ancient prophecy manifest as a girl who spoke some ancient language that only one old priest could understand. Tough to define that role in normal terms of acting. haha Fun movie though, chessy as heck. :mambo:

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Fri May 15, 2009 9:19 am

Milla also played the lead in The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc. I liked her in that. I'm afraid she's starting to play the same (or very similar) character in all of her roles... I'd like to see her branch out into something a little different.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

bregotamer

Post by bregotamer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:09 pm

Wow, Earrame! It's funny the way you began this thread, because this is my first time in this part of the forum as well.

I love to watch movies, and could do so day in and day out if my life would allow.

Scarlett Johansen played in a movie that I watch with such mixed emotions...The Horse Whisperer. She was just a young teen, but she played the role well.

I'm not sure, but I think Naomie Harris played the tracker/saver of the world role in Aliens v. Predator. She looks sort of familiar, and that was the movie that popped into my head when I saw the picture. I could be wrong though. I'm not the greatest with names, but I can usually place actors from other movies.

I totally agree with your summation of all three Pirate movies! My orcsies and I watch those almost as tirelessly as I watch LOTR. Great swashbuckling fun! :rider: :pirate:

I absolutely hated The Fifth Element! When I saw that in the theatre

:banghead: I thought "this is a goddess?"; but hands down Milla is an outstanding action actress! Did you see her in Ultra Violet? In my opinion she rivals any male action actor you want to compare her with.

Thanks so much for this topic, E. I will come back and put in my :twocents: more often!
My friends, you bow to no one."

Eärrámë

Post by Eärrámë » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Welcome aboard bregotamer! Thanks for the Milla recommendations DoK & BT. 8)

I wanted to watch Ultraviolet on SciFi a couple Saturdays ago. I wasn't home and forgot to set it to record.

But that's ok, I would rather catch it on Encore or DVD anyway. Over the years I have developed ZERO tolerance for movies with commercial breaks and that are edited for time and content.

I didn't know who that was on AVP. I actually liked that movie. It is pretty weak compared to it's predecessors in both franchises but I enjoyed it none the less. I looked it up on IMDB. The scene near the end with 'Alexa Woods' and the Predator was pretty cool when he marked her as an equal warrior.

Alexa Woods was played by Sanaa Lathan. I couldn't (quickly) find a good pic of her in AVP so this will have to do.

Holy toledo. :heart:

bregotamer

Post by bregotamer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Easy does it, Earrame. :rofl: Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm usually not so good with names - especially if the actor/actress is not well known.

I know what ya mean about movies/commercials. I was just watching Kill Bill Vol. 2, and they always edit out the part where Kiddo steps on Elle's eyeball! EEEEEEEWWWWWWW :sick: :mambo:

Eärrámë

Post by Eärrámë » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:38 am

I'm better now. :-) I had never even heard of her before I checked out AVP on IMDB.

I haven't seen any Kill Bill yet. I think the only time I have seen Uma Thurman was in Gattica. (great movie!)

Hmmm, who to feature next. Sanaa Lathan was an unplanned add in when her pic knocked me over. :lol: She was good in AVP.

How about Anton Yelchin!

He took on two major roles this year and knocked both of them out of the park. Two more favorite movie franchies. 8)

As Kyle Reese in Terminator Salvation

As Pavel Checkov in Star Trek

bregotamer

Post by bregotamer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Haven't seen either yet, but can't wait for them to hit the DVD market. I'm saving my "movie money" for the next Harry Potter. All the orcsies and I will want to see that this summer!!

Eärrámë

Post by Eärrámë » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:11 pm

Wow, June 18th. About time to bump this thread with a new pic.

I wait for the DVD on most movies. My trips to the theater are few and far between. 2009 was a banner year with a whopping three trips to the theater; Terminator Salvation, Star Trek and Harry Potter. It has probably been decades since I've been to the theater more than twice in one year and I have had droughts lasting several years. There was a time where I practically lived at the theater. Ahhh, back in the day when a friend and I saw Star Wars during it's debut run, back before it was called 'A New Hope' ....count 'em.... 31 times at the theater!

You know who delivered a stunning performance in a spectacular movie?

This is another actress I know nothing about and have only seen her in this movie. Naomi Watts in Peter Jackson's King Kong. The Kong purists might hate it but I love this movie.