R.I.P. David Eddings

Discuss your other favorite personalities.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

eowynmaiar

R.I.P. David Eddings

Post by eowynmaiar » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:16 pm

I just found out this saddening news. Amazing fantasy author, David Eddings, has died. May he rest in peace and be remembered for all his fantastic novels and fantasy worlds. At least now, he can be with his wife - his wonderful accomplice in all his writerly pursuits.

R.I.P.
~~Eowynmaiar~~

*R.I.P. Duane*

DoctorGamgee

R.I.P. David Eddings

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:04 am

Wow, that really is sad. I always enjoyed his books. I think I will go reread them in his memory.

Dr.G
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Re: R.I.P. David Eddings

Post by lindorie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:50 am

So many of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy giants are leaving this world these days. I had to check to see if one of my favorites, Ray Bradbury, was still with us. He is...will be 89 this summer!

I have not read any Eddings. In fact, I am not a big sci-fi/fantasy fan. LOTR and Star Trek are big exceptions in my book, but I grew up during the Cold War and the Space Race and science fiction was extremely popular and a big part of the culture of my youth. So much of the work of these men and women was much more cerebral rather than action-packed. I think it made bigger impacts on the psyche of people than the blast-em-up, sexed up stuff we see too much of today. The images captured in my head of the stories of Bradbury's The Illustrated Man are much more memorable than anything I've seen in most of the sci fi movies that I've seen in a long time.
Last edited by lindorie on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Eddings is along the lines of Tolkien, though not as in depth with the cultural references (languages, etc.). His books (the Belgarion etc. series) are rather interesting. Fulfiling prophesy, sword/sorcery, and a fully realized societal landscape make for good reading.

You should give them a try. I think I have to reread them, it has been far too long.

Dr.G

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:47 pm

I read the first three books of The Belgariad. Then when it went into book 4, I quit. I was still of the mind that I couldn't read such long books. :roll: He was one of the ones who led me back into reading after about an eight year hiatus. (Being dyslexic, it's a bear.) I grew tired of feeling like I couldn't stick with the longer series (too hard), so learned some tricks to help me. Bless Eddings, and may his wife be comforted.
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

eowynmaiar

Post by eowynmaiar » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:56 pm

The best thing about Eddings' books was that on top of your generic fantasty/epic storyline there was a lot of humour. I loved that. I read all ten books of the Belgariad/Mallorean and all the books in the Elenium/Tamuli saga (I think there were six). Plus, I read the first two books of the Dreamers series (which I intend on finishing one day) and Belgarath the Sorceror (my first Eddings book - it was great). David and Leigh Eddings will both be sorely missed.
~~Eowynmaiar~~

*R.I.P. Duane*

Eärrámë

Post by Eärrámë » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:48 pm

I have never read any Eddings either. I will have to make my way around to his works eventually. They sound good.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:48 am

I am with EM on this one. I am rereading them all. I am starting with "The Rivan Codex" and then back to "Pawn of Prophecy." This book is a history of the lands and their peoples. Somewhat dry, but ful of humor. For exaample, in describing the Tolnedrans who are all about profits, a sage once pointed out, "An enemy can be pillaged once, but a customer is an endless resource." ;-)

Bregobaby

Post by Bregobaby » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 pm

Oh that is very sad to hear. I loved his books. He was such a great fantasy author, it was hard to put his books down. May he rest in peace.
Ze dolphin is dead. Died in a car accident.