FRANK FRAZETTA

Discuss your other favorite personalities.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Ringwraith-Wife

FRANK FRAZETTA

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 am

Frank Frazetta passed away at the age of 82. He was a legend, and will be so missed. My sincere condolences to his family, as well as to his legions of fans and admirers.

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Re: FRANK FRAZETTA

Post by lindorie » Tue May 11, 2010 7:38 pm

The name isn't familiar.

Primula

Post by Primula » Tue May 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Wow, I haven't thought of him for a long time - my dad was a big fan of his work though I never took to it as much myself. He was so very influential on the 'look' of so much fantasy genre art, I'm sure that community will be missing him very much.

TolmanJr

Post by TolmanJr » Wed May 12, 2010 3:24 am

He'll be missed. Back when, while attending high school and college, I worked in retail, remember selling posters and jigsaw puzzles of his art. In fact I still have two puzzles.

Went looking for examples of his work and found this: http://frankfrazetta.org/tolkien0001.php

Didn't know he did anything Tolkien related!

Tolman
This day does not belong to one man but to all. Let us together rebuild this world,
That we may share in the days of peace.

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Post by lindorie » Wed May 12, 2010 3:46 am

Hmmm, interesting, but certainly not my style. I get the feeling that the Professor would cringe at seeing Eowyn so 'cheeky.'

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Wed May 12, 2010 7:52 am

I met Frank quite a number of times at the Writers and Artists of the Future Awards. He was one of the judges for the artist side of the contest so I didn't chat a lot with him. He was always gracious and kind, providing words of encouragement to all of us whether we had won or not. There is a very good discussion of his contribution to the world of fantasy art in the Los Angeles Times.

Frank Frazetta painted with fire on a timeless canvas

While his death is not a complete surprise, he has had several strokes, it still hurts to think I will not get to see him holding court at the next Future Awards party.

I did not know you well, Frank, but you will certainly be missed. God speed.
Purveyor of ancient songs

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Wed May 12, 2010 2:22 pm

I met him several times as well, in the early days... the day his daughter Holly was born we were to have met for lunch. ( my husband & I were huge fans... I used to tell people that we only married because of Frazetta ) One of my silly "claims to fame" is that the saddle in the painting THE DEATH DEALER was modeled after a bracelet I wore, that he borrowed from me.

Thank you, Tolman Jr. for the clip, and you, Yaralindi for the article. I was unaware of Ellie's passing, (more bad news) and knew nothing of the estate squabbles. (I stopped 'hanging with the homies' after my divorce, a long time ago.) But I always looked for his books & calendars, I thought that he was one of the best artists EVER. It's hard to express the influence he had on me, and I'm surely not alone. His influence on other artists was unbelievable. The community is greatly diminished by his passing.

Prim, many people only knew him through his movie posters, and the influence he had on Al Capp's Lil Abner... as far as I know he worked right to the end, through the strokes and now I find, through Ellie's passing. She was a great influence on Frank and his work. Many of his paintings were of his much loved wife. They were a beautiful couple in their day, and Ellie was the first to realize the genius he really was.

Lindorie, Frazetta's "Gollum" is one of my very favorites... I can't speak for J.R.R. Tolkien myself, but Frazetta's Tolkien paintings are in my mind some of the best ever done... maybe he (J.R.R.) wouldn't have minded.