Stephen King & The Dark Tower Series

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Onomir
Site Admin

Post by Onomir » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:11 pm

“In King World”
By TS Tharp / Onomir

Small children, often as not, prevail
Muscle cars with screeching tires wail
Different worlds exist between thin vales
Horror grows like a snake shedding scales

Red and White are opposed like day and night
He who lives by the gun is hailed as a knight
To succeed you find that doing wrong is right
Vampires and Undead awake soon after twilight

Authors in trouble will save the day
Good defeats evil after all, come what may
All that is beautiful is doomed to decay
Small or large, even beasts have a say

Houses and Highways are no longer safe
Demons and Spirits are always common place
There are beings alive not of the Human race
Unformed monsters exist in Todash space

Other writers and music float in and out
Watch out for the Devil when fishing for trout
Slowly those in yellow coats drive all about
Chained to a bed, no one hears you shout

So be kind to children and pets if you would
Say your prayers at night just as you should
Steer clear of Maine and Topeka if you could
And ban Cell phones from your neighborhood.

I would like to invite everyone to share their interests in Stephen King stories in this thread, with special consideration of The Dark Tower series of seven novels and all the many ties to much of his other works.

Please do not post fan-fic stories because Stephen has not permitted that, although many do. I would ask to respect his wishes. We can however write poems, drabbles, stories that do not make "new works" of his characters, but reflect the stories and characters as he portrayed them, such as my poem up above.
Spoilers are acceptable but should be marked ahead of time by Book or Story Title so those that are reading for the first time can savor the tales.

Stephen King gives credit to Tolkiens LOTR as the inspiration for The Dark Tower and other works including The Wizard Of OZ.

here are some interesing links;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_T ... 8series%29

http://www.thedarktower.net/

I hope to find many friends here of Stephens works and share in the thoughts, nightmares, and dreamscapes he enlivens within our imagination.

Long Days And Pleasant Nights
�Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget."

Rohirrim Eored

Re: Stephen King & The Dark Tower Series

Post by Rohirrim Eored » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:03 pm

I am a huge fan of this book series. I like most of Stephen King's books, but these are by far his best. I'm not a poet but I do enjoy discussions about novels. So let's start the palaver....

Onomir
Site Admin

The Dark Tower

Post by Onomir » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:51 am

I was introduced to KING and this tale by a long time Ringer friend samwisegirl from the original fanclub. We continue our friendship at a blog site.
She DREW me into ALL-World via 'salems Lot, so I could meet Priest Callahan. That was December 15th 2005. I was ill at that time and had time to read so I did. I read LOT and the seven novels and then Everythings Eventual and Hearts in Atlantis (Low Men In Yellow Coats) by the end of March 2006. I then went on to Desperation right before that aired on TV, and thought that Stephen did a great screenplay for the story. I look forward to it coming out on DVD this fall.
I am currently reading the four stories in "Different Seasons" and "the many short stories in "Nightmares and Dreamscapes". I also think that the TNT airing of those 8 episodes was very well done. I taped them but they are also due to release on DVD.

So thats my introduction to Kings World.
I also write and visit thedarktower.net site and my handle there is ;
StevensSon ( my father's name is Stevenson, really! and I thought it was cool that Roland's father was Steven, so thus the handle works for me)
I got that site to start a writers forum and they named it.....
"Wordslingers"
I laughed when I saw it. Thats what Roland called King in book seven.

Share with me your thoughts on KING and perhaps we could kick this off with a discussion on interesting bits and pieces of The Gunslinger and or original version vs Revised Gunslinger.

btw
Bev Vincent has a blog at livejournal bev_vincent and he talks about writings and publishing of his works there and he also his a web site.
He is an interesting fellow.
He wrote "The Road To The Dark Tower" and I have a signed and number copy.
I also have many novels of KIngs works and a few first editions. Carrie is worth about $600 now. Cujo is worth...oh I forget just now. and I have a Two first editions of Four Past Midnight. One is a Book Club and the other retail.

Shall we start with "The Gunslinger" ? Or other works? or as I prefer The Dark Tower series and branching off the other books as we go through All-World, Inner-World, Mid-World, and End-World....ka is a wheel

the BEAMS say Thankya

ps, !!!!!!! Spoilers !!!!!!
Dark Tower Book I, Book II, and Book VII

A couple of wee poems under the title Gunslingers Blues, where Roland reflects on ka-tet members

"For the LOVE of Jake"
by StevensSon

It was the young boy, Jake, who fulfilled my quest,
how he was placed at the way station, I can not guess.
Perhaps it was ka or God, or even the cursed man in black,
it doesn't matter now, he is fallen, and I can't get him back.

"For the LOVE of Eddie"
by StevensSon

I remember I first saw him, how his brown eyes turned blue,
he defeated his heroin demon, carried me, and remained true.
Eddie was a born gunslinger, a friend like Cuthbert, and I say thankya,
last I remember, he twirled his finger meaning, you danced the Commala.

long days and pleasant nights sai
�Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget."

Rohirrim Eored

Re: The Dark Tower

Post by Rohirrim Eored » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:39 pm

Have you read "The Talisman" and "Black House" yet? "Black House" touches on the breakers and the Crimson King. It is an interesting read. I was thrilled to "see" Father Callahan in the Dark Tower books. I really liked the idea of his wanderings leading him to Roland's world. I was also saddened but yet proud of his last stand in the Dixie Pig. I also really enjoyed the return of Ted from "Hearts in Atlantis." I just finished re-reading "The Regulators." This book isn't as good, I feel, as it's flip side "Desperation." I liked the tv movie, but unfortunately, I missed the last few minutes because my tape ran out. I work evenings and have to tape the miniseries as well. I was hoping to see the story of the divorcing couple at the restaurant with the crazy maitre d. (sorry if I spelled that wrong)

Onomir
Site Admin

Post by Onomir » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:02 pm

Tailsman and Black House are on my shelf begging to read. I hope to finish them before the year is out.
I think I shall skip Regulators for now but want to read it because of how King twists the character around.
I loved TED and did you see the movie with Anthony Hopkins playing TED?
Hearts in Atalntis it was titled.
I had my tape running during Desperation and darned thing ran out 5 minutes before the end too. so I cant help you there.
Dinky was cool to read about too in Everythings Eventual.
I need a Dinky's Day Board too ;-{>

Do you visit thedarktower.net?

cool place and they have all the artwork from the books there too.

SPOILERS BELOW

The one of Pere Callahan holding up the turtle and shouting "The White Commands You" is fantastic.
When Pere and Jake were standing outside the Dixie Pig, I thought it was incredible. Both thinking this is the end, but going in like Gunslingers anyway...totally Rocked! and then Jake in the kitchen with Oriza Plates....too much.. and OY, good ole OY doing the balancing act in Jakes body to get past the illusions....that was far out!

Let me ask you what you thought of Walter O'Dim bringing back that guy from the dead in Tull? I thought it was a little much, if he was dead. I can suspend disbelief well but that was wierd...leaping over the dead guy over and over to bring him back....too wierd...but i can buy into LUD and Blaine the Mono...go figure... lol

Rohirrim Eored

Post by Rohirrim Eored » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:29 am

It's been a long time since I read the first few books so Walter bringing the dead guy back escapes my memory for the time being. I did see the movie "Hearts in Atlantis" and Anthony Hopkins was great as Ted. I checked out the website. I am very interested in the Dark Tower comic books. There are so many stories to tell about Roland's life. Getting back to Walter..."The Stand" is my next favorite King book. Randall Flagg is definitely a great alter-ego of Walter's.

Onomir
Site Admin

Post by Onomir » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:37 am

I will jog your memory....Nort the weed-eater who sat in Sheb's tavern in Tull (Sheb the piano player at the Traveller's Rest in Mejis)
I was watching the STAND last month (again) and that movie is still a favorite. I have not yet read the Revised or Complete The Stand, yet.

Over at thedarktower.net there is a thread for nameing thing you see in This world with DT referance...things like CORT"S Furniture and such. It is fun to watch for as I drive around. BUT if I ever see The Dixie Pig and the sign out front say Closed For Private Party...I am running the the other way. Unless I have my Ruger handy of course. ;-{>

Would you consider dusting off your Gunslinger and skip through it to chat over highlights or lowlights? Or any other books?

Are you reading any King books now?

I am currently reading ; Drawing of the Three(again), Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Different Seasons, and Bernard Cornwells Sharpe Series.

why yes, I am am crazy, but I like reading, so I keep one book with me, one at work, two bedside, one in the livingroom, and one in the car. Never know when I have a few minutes to turn a page or two.

peace,
Ada

Rohirrim Eored

Post by Rohirrim Eored » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:29 am

I remember now about Nort. He was very creepy. I also was grossed out by the slow mutants. I definitely recommend reading "The Stand" the unedited version. It is a great book. I also really liked "It." The only DT references would be to the turtle Maturin. (Maturin is my name on the Harry Potter Mugglenet boards--there is a Cuthbert there as well) "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" has a reference to the bear Shardik. We can discuss "The Gunslinger" if you wish or any of King's others. I have most of them. I really didn't like "The Tommyknockers." I don't have "Different Seasons" or "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" unfortunately. I read both. The only books that I own are Stephen King's, the Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, Eragon, and the Bible. Everything else that I read, I check out from the library. You pick a Stephen King book, pick your topic and I will be more than happy to discuss it with you. (I have a tendency to ramble... :oops: )

Onomir
Site Admin

Post by Onomir » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:52 am

Rohirrim always ramble ;-{>

Your one up on me, as I have not read Rowlings works...yet.

I suggest we give this a few days to see if there are others interested in this forum and then decide.
Start at the beginning say Bilbo so dust off your Gunslinger, I shall drop back from Drawing of the 3, and we could skip through Gunslinger and along the way perhaps see where Stephen added to it. I shall also insert things from "The Road To The Dark Tower" by Bev Vincent, as He has some good insights and worked with Kings Blessing.

What say You?! Monday we follow the Man In Black Across the desert?

Rohirrim Eored

Post by Rohirrim Eored » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Sounds good to me. 8)

Onomir
Site Admin

Post by Onomir » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:00 pm

while we wait check out this music video

The Dark Tower Saga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tLyO3vfdro

Onomir
Site Admin

Post by Onomir » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:42 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVIE!

Rohirrim Eored

Post by Rohirrim Eored » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:30 pm

I'm really surprised that only the 2 of us have read these books. They really are SK's best work. A lot of people are turned off from his books because they think he only writes horror fiction (very untrue) and for the "adult" content. I can overlook vulgarity if it is a good story. I recently watched a video series called "N". It is very creepy. http://www.simonsays.com/specials/steph ... =3&num=605
I got the first set of Dark Tower graphic novel/comic books (all in one "book") for Christmas last year. I really liked it but I felt it was too short, lol. I definitely want more of them. I liked his last books "The Cell" and "Duma Key" which were both horror-ish. I'm so glad he decided not to retire like he said he was going to after DT 7 came out.

Onomir
Site Admin

Post by Onomir » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:06 pm

For all the Best news about KIng you go here if it do ya

http://www.liljas-library.com/

Long days and pleasent nights sai Eored

Stephen says it is the best site on the internet

ya kin

Onomir
Site Admin

Post by Onomir » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:45 pm

Rohirrim Eored wrote:I'm really surprised that only the 2 of us have read these books. They really are SK's best work. A lot of people are turned off from his books because they think he only writes horror fiction (very untrue) and for the "adult" content. I can overlook vulgarity if it is a good story. I recently watched a video series called "N". It is very creepy. http://www.simonsays.com/specials/steph ... =3&num=605
I got the first set of Dark Tower graphic novel/comic books (all in one "book") for Christmas last year. I really liked it but I felt it was too short, lol. I definitely want more of them. I liked his last books "The Cell" and "Duma Key" which were both horror-ish. I'm so glad he decided not to retire like he said he was going to after DT 7 came out.
I would speak more on Kings works if you would like too.
Here is another link to the best SK fan-site and the news of ANOTHER DARK TOWER NOVEL in the future.

http://www.liljas-library.com/