King Kong EE

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Bregobaby

King Kong EE

Post by Bregobaby » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:22 am

I noticed today as I was shopping in the post-Christmas sales that there is now an Extended Edition for King Kong - well of course there is knowing PJ. Duh!
Has anyone seen it? Is it worth buying to see the extended scenes and extra special features?

BB
Ze dolphin is dead. Died in a car accident.

Primula

Re: King Kong EE

Post by Primula » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:41 am

I never saw it un-extended :oops: I might rent it, so I can blip over some of the scenes I've heard about that kept me from going to the theater before. Considering all the news about it being too long for its tale already, I have no notion if making it even longer will be a good idea.

It's getting to where I hesistate to buy any new movie when it first comes out on the market because there's almost always some kind of "extended" one following it.

Gandalf the white

Post by Gandalf the white » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:22 am

I'd never seen the theatrical cut, but I bought the EE, and I love the movie, by far one of the best (behind rings and Eragon :grin: )

True-Hearted Easterling

Post by True-Hearted Easterling » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:36 pm

My standard joke since seeing King Kong is that I'm waiting for the special shortened director's cut. The theatrical release was waaaay too long for my liking.

Erech the undead

Post by Erech the undead » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:57 pm

---
I'm a big fan of this film. It does for Kong what his Trilogy did for Tolkien's books. It brings it to life, provides the elements of an exotic world, and tells a remarkable story with good characters in that world. I do not feel the movie was too long. I enjoyed all of it. I look at the film as a three arc composite; getting to Skull Island, Skull Island itself, and the big finish in Manhattan. I like all of it. Naomi Watts was perfect (and beautiful), watching Andy get eaten was hysterical, and Kong was amazing. The end is sad, but what can you do? On a personal note, when the camera pans across the Hudson to the Jersey side, you can see my neighborhood! I would definitely check out an extended version, though I think the theatrical is just right. Adding more to it doesn't seem necessary. This would be one instance where no extra footage is needed. He accomplished a fully realised narrative with the theatrical. Plus, I bought the production diaries, too. I've got enough Kong for one lifetime...

8)
A man of Gondor, long since fallen into the shadow of the mountain...