The Hunger Games

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Old Toby

The Hunger Games

Post by Old Toby » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:56 am

Anyone else here into The Hunger Games? I just got into reading the books. I've read the first and second and am getting the third one today. I LOVE these stories! Wow! I had seen the previews of the film coming out later this month, and it peaked my interest, thus I bought the first book. I had no idea they were so exciting and so moving! Yes, they are classfified Young Adult, but these are a far cry from Twilight, folks! (And don't get me wrong, I like the Twilight series.) This isn't a romance novel!

For those who don't know, the story is about a future world where the Capitol is run by a privileged and powerful minority now located somewhere in the Rockies. The US is divided into 12 districts. There were 13, but during a bloody rebellion, District 13 was obliterated and the Hunger Games were set up to remind people that they are Subjects and that the Capitol has absolute power over them. Each year each District is required to cough up two young people between the ages of 12 and 18, a boy and a girl, to participate in the Hunger Games (names are put into a lottery automatically and are selected in a public drawing). The 'winners' are groomed, trained, then released into a carefully controlled environment; it may be anything from a desert to a jungle. They are there to kill or be killed by each other. Only one survives: there is only one winner.

A warning for the faint of heart: there is a lot of killing and children die. The cruelty of those who run the games and control the Capitol is beyond belief. However, the heroine - Katniss, and the hero (in my mind) - Peeta, and some of the other characters in the stories are so strong, so courageous, so good-at-heart,and they reflect those qualities of humanity we admire and relate to on many levels. Some may consider the story and characters pretty formulaic, but regardless, I am caught up in the rush of the tale, and have more than once found myself caught off guard by the impact of some of the scenes. Definitely worth reading, IMO! (And I say all this before reading the last book)
"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." - Harry Dresden

AnnaEstel

Re: The Hunger Games

Post by AnnaEstel » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:54 pm

I have not read these yet, but my niece has and my husband is now. They both are quite impressed. I expect I will be reading them soon myself, if for no other reason than pressure. :)
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

silvenundomiel

Post by silvenundomiel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:47 am

Omg, The Hunger Games are my fav!! I absolutely LOVE it!!!! i am counting down the days until the movie comes out!! i really think im going to be a little disapointed, but i still want to see it! i absolutely hate the ending though. im definintly team Gale, just saying!!! :D

overall its a super series!!! :grin:
I aear can ven na mar
The sea calls us home

Fíriel

Post by Fíriel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:03 am

I enjoyed the first one, but haven't read the others yet. I'm hoping the rest of the series addresses some gaping plot holes from the first book.
"Gondor! Gondor, between the mountains and the sea!
West Wind blew there; the light upon the Silver Tree...."

MiddleEarthMunchkin

Post by MiddleEarthMunchkin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:22 pm

I'll have to be careful not to drop a spoiler because I've read all three. ;)

I loved the Hunger Games. I read a lot of YA even though I'm an adult and HG is one of my favorites. It was probably the most compelling book I'd read in a long time. I listened to it on audio first (the waiting list at my library was far shorter for that version) and I think it makes the suspense worse because you can't read faster when you're listening. :lol:

That said, I almost feel like I won't be able to read/listen to it again, just because some parts of it were so ... intense, I think. I hope I'll be able to handle the movie.

Old Toby

Post by Old Toby » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:42 pm

I just finished book 3. Wow! What a series! I can't believe it's marketed for Young Adults what with all the violence and bloodshed. I suppose because the main characters are teenagers and there's a kind of a love triangle going, they figure it's got to be another Twilight. Guess again.

This last book was emotionally draining for me. I've got to decompress. I think I'll go see the new movie "John Carter" for some comic relief.
"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." - Harry Dresden

True-Hearted Easterling

Post by True-Hearted Easterling » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56 am

I love the series and am eagerly awaiting the movie. I'm leading a book discussion on Friday night on The Hunger Games.

My review, if anyone is interested:
http://lookgoodifyoudie.blogspot.com/20 ... llins.html

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Post by lindorie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:06 pm

I enjoyed the books, but felt that the first one was by far the strongest. My husband has read them, too and we will be seeing the movie next week.

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:54 am

I read the books a while ago, but only because the actress playing the lead is one of the most talented young women I've seen in a long time. Jennifer Lawrence played the lead in WINTER'S BONE. ( rent it / buy it ...Talk about intense! I've since read that book, as well. WOW. ) I plan to start re-reading HG this week, so that I'll be prepared for the movie. Winter's Bone was the role of a lifetime... but HUNGER GAMES will make Jennifer Lawrence a "star". :up:

Old Toby

Post by Old Toby » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:31 am

Yes, I read that she was nominated for an Oscar for Winter's Bone! I think she looks perfect for the part in Hunger Games. I was really taken aback when I saw photos of her at the world premier of the Hunger Games. I didn't even recognize her, being blonde, and with that glamour make up job! (I like her a lot better looks-wise at Katniss!) Anyway, I hear good reviews of the movie have been coming out so far, and you're right about this movie making her a 'star'.

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:53 am

I know what you mean about the "glamour shots"... when I read the HUNGER GAMES, I could readily imagine her as Katniss, because I already "knew" her as the amazing, self-reliant young woman from WINTER'S BONE. I think I was very lucky in that regard, because she'll always be Katniss for me.

As "Ree Dolly", in WINTER'S BONE

Old Toby

Post by Old Toby » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 am

Okay, I've seen The Hunger Games movie twice now. LOVED it! It stays very true to the books, which isn't surprising since Suzanne Collins is one of the script writers. All the actors are fabulous, but best of all is Jennifer Lawrence. Super performance! This movie, like the book, is intense, exciting, and heart-wrenching. But in many ways it's lighter fare than the book, leaving out a lot of the bloody mayhem that goes on to the viewer's imagination yet giving us enough suggested bloodshed that we feel the severity and the horror of what's going on. A job well done by all involved in this film!

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Old Toby. I have not heard much about them (though I did see a film preview). If you think they are worth the read, then I will have to give them a try...

Doc
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Thank you, Toby... I just re-read the books this week, in hopes that I get to see the movie in theaters... I liked them better the second time. I'm so glad that you liked the movie... I was sooo hoping the show wouldn't be a dud. :hi: Doc, I know that you're always very busy, but they ARE a quick read. :yes: