Feeling small

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

yaralindi

Feeling small

Post by yaralindi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:32 pm

NASA has just released images taken by the Cassini probe as it circles Saturn. They had it look back at our tiny world from almost 900,000,000 miles (1.5 billion kilometers) away and snap a few pictures of the home world.

The images I linked below is an amazing one. It gives me so many emotions. I feel so small sitting here as I look at that bright world and its tiny moon. I feel so lonely looking at it resting there in the emptiness of space as a tiny probe from it circles a lonely path almost a million miles away. I also feel hope, hope that we as humans will one day be out there looking back. It is truly an amazing picture.

The Earth and Moon

Closer in
Purveyor of ancient songs

DoctorGamgee

Feeling small

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Yeah, it is pretty amazing just how often we forget that we are not sitting on the north pole and the world does not (in fact) revolve around us.

These put it in great perspective, don't they?

But I don't feel alone when I view it. We are not insignificant for all of our small place in the universe. And you mean a great deal to me, Yar--that makes you quite important. Dee will agree with me on this one. 8)
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

MiddleEarthMunchkin

Re: Feeling small

Post by MiddleEarthMunchkin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 pm

I find it so beautiful and amazing that we have the technology to do this! As the first pictures of Earth from space helped spark the environmental movement in the 70s, maybe these pictures will ... I don't know, foster world peace? We can see that it really is just us out there. It's our planet, we all gotta live together. Awful long way to Saturn, or even Mars.

And NASA's got a page up here with more pics.

Yar - I agree that it's inspires a lonely feeling but also hope. (Gosh, I wish I'd been born 1,000 years from now, when we'd more likely have ventured out into the stars.) Whenever I look up at the stars at night, it's such a weird feeling I get. It's so vast and beautiful, but I feel connected in some way. I won't go as far as to say it's a spiritual feeling, but more along the lines that I can really sense that the universe is bigger than I sense on a daily basis.