Sam's Stewpot... now ready to simmer

Items of Importance from the other forums.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Primula

Re: Sam's Stewpot... now ready to simmer

Post by Primula » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:07 pm

That's why it's invisible, member's only and only by request. The name was chosen to make it properly themed with the rest of the community as well as to say that any sort of ingredient might be added - and all of the people there are Tolkien fans.

It really isn't that scary - we're rather enjoying ourselves and it's been quite interesting.

Remember, it's just us - not the random rabid commentators and trolls you see elsewhere. :wink:

Varda

Post by Varda » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:10 pm

Primula I recognise you and the other mods have been very considerate towards members and thoughtful about setting up this board, but it is for the purpose of current affairs discussion and not about Tolkien at all. Therefore giving it a Tolkien themed name is unfair to Sam, Tolkien and also to the board itself, which is something other entirely. On behalf of Sam and Tolkien I protest. Why not just call it the Stew.

I must call to mind what critics have so often said of Tolkien, that he preferred not to think about current affaris, and the modern world, at all. It is clear from the I Pass folks that many come here to escape it. I know this board is hidden, but that is something I don`t like at all. If it is good and worthy and valuable and of no harm to anyone, it should be open and freely accessible. Secret societies are never a good thing, so why should secret boards be any better. And yes, they are very scary.

I have to also disagree that we are enjoying ourselves here. The people above who say I Pass obviously are not enjoying themselves and the respectable percentage of people who voted against the board aren`t either. I never saw any heated current affairs debate that was fun, Prim, except to the mischievous, and as we are just spectators in these matters, what good is being served in trampling much trampled ground. And in secret!

Yes, it is just us. But I have to point out that some very fierce and not too friendly rows have managed to flare up among just us. There is plenty of room for lost friendships and barely concealed contempt for someone else`s opinion amongst just us. Why stir that pot at all, why not just stay friends and throw out a bad stew before it poisons us all.

When can we get back to debating Tolkien with the fervour we have put into debating a chance to argue about politics!! With all due respect that will not be the universally relevant and uniting force that Tolkien`s works possess. Politics are local, literature is universal.

Just my opinion. Of course.

Varda

tahawus

Post by tahawus » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:33 pm

I think you make some good points, Varda. For those who want this kind of interaction this seems to be a reasonable compromise. Because I'm only an infrequent visitor these days I can't see much a purpose for me to be a member of this forum. I'd never meet the 75 post minimum!!! :-P
Tahawus

Of all the things I've lost I still miss my mind the most.

Primula

Post by Primula » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:04 am

Tahawus, you do realize you have 353 posts?

:wink:

tahawus

Post by tahawus » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Ooops! I thought it meant we had to have 75 posts for the new board specifically. :oops: Guess that doesn't make sense now that I think about it. :oops: :oops:
Tahawus

Of all the things I've lost I still miss my mind the most.