Mathom Exchange 2013 is closed!!!

Items of Importance from the other forums.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

DoctorGamgee

Mathom Exchange 2013 is closed!!!

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:31 pm

The time is coming when our annual "Mathom Exchange" is held. It is open to anyone who wishes to participate, and all are welcome. For those who have not participated in past exchanges, this is how it works:

It is a round-robin gift exchange. You send your info, and you will get the info of one other person. I do not match one to one (Rosie get's Prim, Prim gets Rosie), it is done by a random exchange based on the following information:

1--Send an email to mathomexchange@yahoo.com
2--In the Subject line, please put your board name, so that I know who you are at a glance.
3--In the body of the text, please list the following:
Your Real Name
Your Address, City, State, Your Zipcode and Country (as it would appear in your part of the world)
4--Finally, put in any information that I should know, such as:
a) I don't want to send overseas
or
b) "Hobbit-Toe-Hangnail" and I already exchange gifts, so give me someone else.

In past years, I had put a deadline on when this information should be in. Then everyone freaked at thinking they would not be included since they had missed it, so I won't put one on this time. All those who are interested can send them in starting today and I will send out the name and address of the person to whom your mathom should be sent by November 17, 2013. Once the first list is out others will be matched as later entries come in and I will do this until Dec. 13th, which is the last day that they should be sent by mail. Email being what it is, if you send me an email, and you don't hear back from me (either after Nov 17th or a few days after you send it if it comes in after that...) send me a PM and I will check on it...spamfilters are a pain, but Yar likes Spam, so there you have it... Last year, unless there is something I don't know, everyone got a mathom who sent one. In years past, there were only one or two folks who didn't send anything, and only a few who were late getting them out. Please do your best to make sure that you either get them out on time, or p.m. your buddy to let them know it will be coming late. Usually we don't tell who got whom, but if you don't get anything, let me know after the first of the year, and I will start digging. And Dr.G will insure that you receive something in case something should happen...

As for the Mathom. According to Tolkien, a mathom is "Anything that hobbits had no immediate use for, but were unwilling to throw away they called a mathom. Their dwellings were apt to become rather crowded with mathoms, and many of the presents that passed from hand to hand were of that sort." (I,14-15) So as you can see, these need not be NEW items, and in honor of thier namesake, it is best if they are gently used. If you do go for something new, please limit it to a small item of $5. It can be uncomfortable when one sends a favorite book which has been read several times, and in return receives a hand-made suit of armor or replica of Sting. You are all gentle-hobbits (elves/dwarves/etc.) and I know you will take into consideration the feelings of your fellow posters.

And on a special note from Dr.G: As this has been a hard year for many of us, I would encourage everyone to participate and go small. I would be delighted to receive a handwritten note with a few homemade bookmarks with favorite passages of beloved books or recipes of favorite dishes (which would cost almost nothing except a stamp) and have everyone participate, than get something big and be afraid that some folks didn't join for fear of not having something good enough to send. It is not the gift, but the thought of the giver which makes it special.

So, if you want to participate, please send the information. I got rid of last year's list, so if you want in, I gotta have the info again. Sorry.

Happy Mathoming!

Dr.G
Mathom-Master
Last edited by DoctorGamgee on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

mousechief

Re: Mathom Exchange 2013 is late arriving...where was my hea

Post by mousechief » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:34 pm

Goody! I'm in!
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."-Walt Disney

TolmanJr

Post by TolmanJr » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:25 am

OK, I'm in again too!
This day does not belong to one man but to all. Let us together rebuild this world,
That we may share in the days of peace.

frodosmiss

Post by frodosmiss » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Ever since I got my iPad, which has become my main computer connection, I have been a poor correspondent/ board attendee...too lazy to do much typing with one finger on that iPad keyboard~ I feel badly that I haven't gotten home much this past year, but I wouldn't miss the Mathom exchange for anything! Please count me in! :-)
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Elvellon Ringsbane

Post by Elvellon Ringsbane » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:09 am

Thank goodness! I was beginning to think the unthinkable, that there might not be a Mathom Exchange this year.

I love it - the last day to mail gifts is the day of the Hobbit DoS release. We can all go to the film and then mail our mathoms. Friday the 13th will be most auspicious this December!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm in! And so very glad to see that there are still enough of us around to do it! :D
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Emails just went out. Happy mathoming, Y'all.

Dr.G

P.S. It is not too late! Anyone signing up after today will be added in, but I can't guarantee where you will send to (though so far, they have all been US-ringers).

TolmanJr

Post by TolmanJr » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Doc, I got your e-mail.

Thanks!
This day does not belong to one man but to all. Let us together rebuild this world,

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Everyone should have gotten an email by now. If not, then contact me here via PM and I'll get you the info I sent. DoK...did you get yours? I just got a failure attempt message but it is a week and some late...

frodosmiss

Post by frodosmiss » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Got it....have it ready....need to mail it! :-)
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:04 am

Sorry Doc... I've been out of touch. Yes, I got my email, thank you thiiiiisss much.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

DoctorGamgee

Woo-Hoo!!! It has Arrived!!!

Post by DoctorGamgee » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:58 pm

My mathom arrived today!!! I have not opened it yet, but thought I might make sure nothing is perishable in it.

Thank you, Mousechief!

TolmanJr

Mathom on it's way

Post by TolmanJr » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:07 pm

To my Mathom partner in the "Evergreen State", your Mathom is on the way! :tree:
Watch your mailbox this Saturday. :present:

mousechief

Re: Woo-Hoo!!! It has Arrived!!!

Post by mousechief » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Doc, the things in the box are wrapped, so you can open the big box with no spoilers. :grin:
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."-Walt Disney

DoctorGamgee

Re: Woo-Hoo!!! It has Arrived!!!

Post by DoctorGamgee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:20 am

Thank you all for playing. The Mathoms should have gone out by now (or will be in the mail shortly, sorry, Niniel...). But if you are running behind at getting it out, kindly PM your mathom buddy so they don't worry that something isn't coming (or got picked up by the neighbor's kids).

Happy Mathoming to you all!

Doc