Me, yet Again, - Walkway update

Inspiration in any form.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Ringwraith-Wife

Me, yet Again, - Walkway update

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:10 pm

The Quadricentennial is gathering steam here in the Hudson Valley.
Two pieces that I painted for the City of Kingston's celebration were finally hung last week. The HENRY turned out to be a 'media darling'... I got shots in 4 different newspapers... The Iroquois looks good in color, but muddies up in B&W. The banners are 60" long... painted in oil.
( They don't look that big hanging up though.:grin:)

Now I have one "emblem" due for the village of Saugerties, for the Walk Across The Hudson, and 25 flags... and my 400 years of Henry Hudson are done. The emblem is due on the 1st of Sept. ... the flags on the 27th, the "Walk/Parade is on October third. :shock:

Just in case you wondered why I haven't been cartooning. :-)
Last edited by Ringwraith-Wife on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frodosmiss

Me Again

Post by frodosmiss » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:13 am

The banners are beautiful, RW-W! You truly are gifted and how wonderful that you can share that gift with so many!
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Sylvania

Re: Me Again

Post by Sylvania » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:34 am

WOW!!! These are absolutely beautiful - I bet the folk are very glad to have such talent in their midst.
Will you be taking part in the walk in October? How I'd love to be there. Thanks for sharing this with us R.W.W. :yay:
CXXXEP

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:58 pm

It seems to be my night for thanking you two. :grin: So I will again. :-)

Now that they are done, I like the banners more than I did while doing them, if you know what I mean. These banners will be auctioned off to benefit the Kingston Maritime Museum... so I won't see them again...

As for the Walk --- I think they're calling it WALKING ON AIR! I sure am going to try to walk it... If I can, I'll be leading my contingent of 50, I'll carry the emblem I'm making, followed by 10 people carrying the 25 flags/banners and the rest of the 'troupe' behind them. I've had kiwi colored t-shirts made for that group of 50, but the village historian wants to include more folks, so I got 100 yards of 3" wide kiwi colored ribbon for them to wear as neck, arm and head bands, so we'll look a little more together. I have a few more tricks planned... it is a real EVENT, after all. :shock: I have to finish the emblem tomorrow. ooops... gotta run. :shock:

Primula

Post by Primula » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:59 pm

Oh wow!! They're FABULOUS looking! And I know what you mean about huge banners seeming to 'shrink' when you hang them up - they look simply marvelous. The WALK sounds way cool as well, I hope you'll get a pic or video or something of all those flags and banners!
:clap: :cheer:

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:32 pm

Thank you, Prim, very much.
I didn't finish today, so I'm a little "edgy". My photos of the emblem are not quite right, as well, so I still have to come up with a good photo or take it in to the photographer before Monday. :shock:

More of my flag material came in, so I can move ahead on that project as soon as I dump off the emblem. (And get some kind of press release written for the local paper... otherwise I'll sit at the community flag site all by my lonesome.)

I won't have to worry about taking pictures of the day itself... it's going to be T-V and Youtube city. Some one has already raised the problem we'll have with news helicopters creating a "Wash-effect" on what will already be a VERY breezy bridge.

... but if I don't get my part done... I won't have to worry about anything else. :mutter:

frodosmiss

Post by frodosmiss » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Ringwraith-Wife wrote:These banners will be auctioned off to benefit the Kingston Maritime Museum... so I won't see them again...
If I were there, I would consider bidding! They're just beautiful! A kingly gift, one might say!! :king:
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:38 pm

A Kingly gift... thank you very much, Frodosmiss.:-) I wish you could be here. I do.

I finished one side of my emblem today, photographed it myself, and e-mailed it in... they needed it to make buttons for the folks who will be walking the bridge with my village. The other side, and the ribbons and trim will be waiting for me tomorrow... fabric for flag trims & motifs came today... I have to write that press release for the community flag making workshop.

This is the "A" side of the emblem... It depicts Barent Cornelis Volge... "The Little Sawyer" after whom my community is named. Those shiny things are tiny little "handsaw" charms I found on the internet. The white fluffy things are silk mums... we have a mum festival we're proud of.

I "tea-dyed" the banners & sewed them to the oil painting. It's only 30" wide. A stick runs up the middle like a lollipop, and it will set on a 9' high pole, with a million yards of ribbon trim on the bottom. (Well, maybe not a million) :shock:
Image :grin:

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:08 am

These are FANTASTIC! How amazing would that be to have your work out on public display like that...you must be so proud...honored to know such a talented artist!!!! 8) :grin:

Sylvania

Post by Sylvania » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:59 am

I totally agree with everything Rosie says - R.W.W. we salute you! :D
CXXXEP

Mrs_Pippin-Took

Post by Mrs_Pippin-Took » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Hey you talented artist! Your paintings are all extremely cool! I admire your work :D :wink:
What's the point of being grown up when you can't be childish sometimes

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Thank you all, very much.
When I accepted the artist-in- residence job for my village, I had no idea how much time it would take up. I sure know now.
The Walkway Across the Hudson will take place on Saturday, Oct. 3rd
... these are the completed banners/flags that my community workshops produced... and 10 villagers will carry in the parade. I designed the flags, and my volunteer artists, who ranged in age from 20 to 91!!! put them together. They had to be the same, front and back, so there really are 50 flags in question. In addition to the emblem... flags, t-shirt and button designs were produced ( the t-shirts are being made even as we speak ) Parade sashes were made & I made a coat to wear as well. The folks who were the most fun to work with, were seniors from a home known as The Family Lodge... I'll post some of their pictures after the event.
Are we there yet? :roll: :grin:

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:15 pm

These are simply AWESOME, RWW! I wish I could say how impressed I am, but words escape me. Thanks for sharing these with us. They are very cool!

Dr.G
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

Ringwraith-Wife

Re: Me, yet Again - Walkway update

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Can you say ex-haus-ted ? I sure am. The past four days featured high winds, torrential downpours, bus mix ups, cold weather, cancellations... frantic phone calls, the end of six months of hard work on my side, (seventeen years of effort on the planners sides), and one of the best weekends that I've ever had.
There were fireworks, Japanese lantern ceremonies, Jumbo Trons, parades to die for, regatta's, antique ships, foot races and LOTS of speeches. We'll ignore the speeches part. I saw old friends, made new ones, walked across the Hudson ( 2 1/2 miles total, plus a mile to & from the step-off point ) tasted a new drink called The Walkway (made especially for the event by the Culinary Institute of America (the CIA) - which IMHO they should have named the Falldown ( but I'm not a drinker, so don't believe a word I say about booze) and managed to not even raise so much as a blister. I admit to being a little sore, though.
When Saturday morning dawned ( if you could call it that... cloud cover was fierce ) we were told to watch the live feed from the bridge until we got on the buses. Rain would not stop us from going on... lightning strikes, however, would.
It was cold enough that we all dressed as though we were going to the tundra (four layers for me) it would be at least 10 degrees cooler on the bridge, even without the wind and rain. I had t-shirts made for "my" walkers - kiwi turns out to look great against dark grey skies - as well as parade banners, and buttons. The flags & emblems had been sent on ahead by truck on their 9' poles.

We were told to bring backpacks w/water & snacks since where we would be forming up we'd have nothing to eat. We'd be involved for 5 hrs. at the least. Plus an hour back & forth on the bus. ( I pause here to thank the inventors of porta-potties) Besides the towns/ villages and artists, 6,000 volunteered to put this thing on. Thousands more came to watch. ( We had a LOT of porta-potties ) Not enough tents for all those folks. But to our amazement, when we got off the bus in Poughkeepsie*,
the rain lasted about 10 more minutes... a little drizzle, and then stayed dry for the rest of the event. It rained on the Governor, for Pete's sake. (The Pete in question was Pete Seeger, he went on early.) Pete sang in the rain... dancers danced in it as well... we lucked out. Still pretty windy, though. These are some of the photos, none of mine yet, but these are really cool.
The night before... the walkway is the long line of white lights in the middle, the bridge in front is the Mid-Hudson

This is what made that line of white lights in the previous photo- Japanese lanterns. In this photo, the Mid-Hudson is at the back

This is the Lantern ceremony

These are the large lanterns as they "let fly"... they made the streaks you saw in the air on photo #1

This is the Walkway from the river:Image With the parade going on

Pretty, isn't it, even in the rain ( looking south... nyc is about 150 miles down the river)

This is the beginning of the parade - the blue silk represents water... notice the fish hats and the wind... the paddlewheel really turned

in this photo the county of Ulster (my county) is on the left, the county of Dutchess is on the right... we are just beginning to pass one another for the first time... a whole lot of welcoming going on.

With any luck I can post some of my marchers & emblems tomorrow.

It was one heck of a weekend.

*( actually Lloyd, on the opposite shore, in another county... but you've heard of Poughkeepsie ) :-)

Eruvanne

Re: Me, yet Again - Walkway update

Post by Eruvanne » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:31 pm

I'm so glad everything went so well. Your paintings were beautiful.

Eruvanne
And the fellowship, though forever bound by friendship and love, was ended.