So, this bath cabinet walks into a beach...

Inspiration in any form.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:35 pm

It's so nice when a project is finally done!

So, we have a tiny bathroom downstairs with a boring but sturdy walnut cabinet on the wall - my opinion being it's too useful to remove and too dark to leave 'that way' in such a small space, thus.... voila! I did up an abstract oceany thingy on it using various colors of rub-n-buff... it was all done with just my fingers, no brushes, which made for tired hands occasionally, but... hey! :-) Much happiness.

Sketched the design on notebook paper and colored with colored pencils... then sketched it onto the cupboard with white crayon. Image Image

The metallic effect is nice because it catches the lighting and helps brighten it up a bit too. Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else wanted an idea for easily doing up a cupboard or similar.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:33 pm

How totally cool! Especially with the dolphins and sea shells as accents. Very nice!
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

tinidril

Re: So, this bath cabinet walks into a beach...

Post by tinidril » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:03 pm

Way cool!! Very nice design :D
You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to. ~Bilbo
I'm on Facebook ~ The-tinidril on deviantART.com

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:52 am

I agree... the word for this is "cool"! :D
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:34 am

Wonderful! It's really eye catching, and yes, your dolphins and the picture what we can see peeking into the picture, all compliment each other.

I wish I were so talented.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Primula

Post by Primula » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks! Yup, it's a typical 'water' theme for a bathroom, but it works. The vanity (just out of the pic) is cobalt blue with a beaten-textured silver sink, so it picks up the silver-blue well. Small things can make such a difference in small rooms.

The dolphins were picked up at a garage sale by my kids and gravitated to the only sea-themed room by default. I'm glad they work!

The rub-n-buff is lovely because it's so cheap and easy - you just literally rub it on and a little goes a long way. I only used maybe a third of each little tube of color, and they were only $2.50-$3.50 a pop, way cheaper and easier than pulling it outside, sanding and prepping it, paying for metallic paint from the paint store and then putting the thing back up again. All I did here was wash it with a little TSP and give it a light sanding to break the finish.

Ooo....now I have these little tubes of color....what shall I use them for next?

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:17 pm

I didn't see this... it's beautiful Prim, you give me heart ... :bow: ... I've been thinking of painting my fridge! :yes:

GondorsQueen

Post by GondorsQueen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Wow Prim! That's really neat! (Had to use another word because too many folks already used cool!) :lol:

Harthad

Post by Harthad » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Prim, that's awesome! If you look at it from the side, it looks like a bird. :P But yeah, really nice! :)
"How do you pick up the threads of an old life. . . how do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back." ~ Frodo, TROTK
Click here to visit my site!

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:32 am

Perfect for that bathroom! Love the colors especially!