Big guys on little bikes...txt

A place for all off-topic discussion.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Primula

Big guys on little bikes...txt

Post by Primula » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:50 pm

Is this a trend? I keep passing huge teenaged guys pedeling along on teensy little grade-schooler bikes. Their knees sticking out to the sides, their elbows akimbo they look like those monkeys that ride miniature bicycles in the circus...

Why? They have expensive clothing and disc-players and such with them, so I doubt it's the "old fashioned" reason that their family couldn't afford to buy them a bigger bike as they grow...

Am I really getting to be such an old fogey that I honestly can't comprehend teens? :shock: :huh: Help me out here...

AnnaEstel

Re: Big guys on little bikes...txt

Post by AnnaEstel » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:58 pm

I couldn't comprehend teens when I was one, Prim, so don't feel too lost!!
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Post by lindorie » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:03 pm

I think one of the hot new trends in bikes is going back to the Stingray bikes that were introduced when I was a kid. They were smaller bikes with big swooping handlebars, kind of like a Harley. They've fancied them up a bit, but they're considered very cool. Of course one wonders if the kids realize that they have to work twice as hard on them to get the same distance and if they figure that out, will they be wanting 12 speed touring/mountain bikes again.

Primula

Bike trends...txt

Post by Primula » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:14 pm

We just bought our son a new bike because his legs were getting too long for his little one, and I remember seeing some of those in the stores. I love how they look, but I remember them being hard to get going on too. But why ride one, of any style, that looks like you stole it from a toddler and ripped the training wheels off when you're almost old enough to drive? :???:

Primula

Teens...txt

Post by Primula » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:16 pm

I couldn't comprehend teens when I was one, Prim, so don't feel too lost!!
Come to think of it, I couldn't either. :lol:

I spent most of my time with grown-ups, because I couldn't relate to my teen peers. :stretch:

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Re: Bike trends...txt

Post by lindorie » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:17 pm

'cause its as close to a harley as they are going to get for a lot of years! :D

loverofhobbits

I'm a teen and. . .

Post by loverofhobbits » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:07 pm

I can't think of any reason why you would want a bike like that. i personally don't see logic in following trends, if that is the only reason why someone would get a bike like that. I like to be unique, some may call me special even :wink:
Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
-Henry Van Dyke
If music be the food of love, play on: give me excess of it...
-Shakespeare

AragornLover1981

Post by AragornLover1981 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:44 pm

AnnaEstel wrote:I couldn't comprehend teens when I was one, Prim, so don't feel too lost!!
ROTFL! :lol: I couldn't have said it better. I feel the same way. Especially never could understand teen girls...I guess because I was so much different than the rest of them. But that's a good thing. I'm glad I'm not and was not like the teen girls I went to school with...selfish, cruel, and would stab their best friend in the back if it meant they could get something out of it. Not all of them were that way, but most of them were and some still are unfortunately. *sigh* I've never been like that, so I guess that's why I can't understand it. But the way I see it, I'm glad I don't understand a lot of things...otherwise if I did, that would mean I would have to experience it, and there's a lot of stuff I hope to never have to experience.

Now how on EARTH did I get into all of that! LOL! Sorry. :oops: :lol: 8)
"Let us be rid of it - once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" ~ Samwise Gamgee