Gah! School supplies!

A place for all off-topic discussion.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Rosie

Gah! School supplies!

Post by Rosie » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:55 pm

Anyone else just sickened by the amount of things that schools expect parents to provide for their students?? :shock: I remember just needing the basic writing supplies, but now they expect highlighters, sharpies, dry erase markers, scientific calculators, baby wipes, kleenex blah blah blah blah!! >:(
After spending over $200 just on supplies, socks and underwear for my kids... I realized I still only had half their supply list filled! :argh: Thank goodness my mother in law has been shopping yard sales for school clothes for the kids all summer. Really makes me upset. ::sigh:: I know teachers end up spending money out of pocket for school supplies, but it doesn't seem fair that parents are hit with so many expenses as well. (Not to mention book fees, sports fees etc.)!

Strange Elf

Plus high school fees......

Post by Strange Elf » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:41 am

We just got the date for High School registrations and the list of fees :shock: . With two boys in high school it's going to be expensive, and that's without the first trip to Wal~Mart for books and stuff.

But I confess, it will be nice tohave them back in school :D .
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Primula

Re: Gah! School supplies!

Post by Primula » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:05 am

I am blessed that our private school buys the basic supplies in bulk and then splits the cost with a reasonable supply fee for each student. It ends up being cheaper for the families, and all the supplies are the same for everyone, so there isn't the "brand name competition" thing. The only things on their lists this year are backpack, lunchbox and a box of kleenex.

My eldest is starting public high school this fall and I have no idea what to expect - I haven't seen hide ner hair of a supply list for her, so I'm going to the school to see if the office has anything of the sort. From the lists I've seen from the other public schools, I think it may be a boatload of stuff. :|

sevilodorf

Post by sevilodorf » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:40 am

The question to ask is "Will all these supplies be utilized ?"

Watch your kids this year and see if they use the items on the "required" list. If they don't then go to the school at the end of the year and suggest the list be changed. If they do use them, then your time and money has been put to good use.

You are right in saying that teachers often spend their own money. In the district where I teach, students are not made to buy anything, but the supplies are doled out at the rate the administration has determined the students use them. This leaves me filling the gaps for paper and pencils on an ongoing basis. The time consuming completion of supply requests for other standards like rulers, scissors, tissue and glue drives me to the brink so I end up purchasing those as well.
The most unusual inn in Ithilien

The Burping Troll

http://burpingtroll.com/index.asp

AragornLover1981

I agree...it's nuts that parents have to buy so much...txt

Post by AragornLover1981 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:15 am

especially after paying TAXES to help aid school funding. I remember when I was in school (middle school and elementary) and our "room fee" was probably somewhere between $10-$20. And the only other things we really had to buy were stuff like paper, pencils, pens, crayons, colored pencils, and folders. Which really isn't that much. I was looking at my cousin's 8th grade supply list and the thing I though was nuts was she had to have 500 note cards! I was like "What the heck are they gonna need 500 note cards for?" I think that's a little overkill if you ask me. :roll: I just know that when I was in school back in the day, our list wasn't nearly as long as the supply lists of today, and I believe that we did just fine with the small amount that we did have. I mean, is 500 note cards gonna really make that much of a difference in my cousin's education? I didn't need them in 8th grade, and I really don't think it is imperative that she should either. I'm just saying that I received an education without having to use all these school supplies that kids today are using. So are these kids getting a better education because they use more supplies than I did? In my opinion...no.

Well...I'll get off my soapbox now. :P
"Let us be rid of it - once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" ~ Samwise Gamgee

Rosie

Re: I agree...it's nuts that parents have to buy so much...t

Post by Rosie » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:55 am

That is a great suggestion about keeping track of the extra supplies at the end of the year. I will definitely do that! I can see supplying pencils, paper etc. but like you say about the notecards, there are just some things that seem overboard in asking parents to supply. For example, 5 packs of post it notes. What in the world does a third grader need with that many post it notes? :shock: I feel like I'm furnishing the teachers supplies and not my students! Also, 3 packs of baby wipes? Come on... send the kids to the bathroom to wash their hands! :roll:

Peredhil

Re: I agree...it's nuts that parents have to buy so much...t

Post by Peredhil » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:28 pm

Keeping track really is a good idea. My husband's a middle school teacher he always says that if parrents complained enough about the things they don't like the school more than likely changes to met the parental reuqests.
He always says ..'the problem is not enough parents complain'.
To which I usually ask, 'why isnt the adminstration more proactive in identifying the issue and then resolve it before it becomes a parental concern?

Seems very backwards to me... :huh:

Evermind

What annoys me most is that we buy it, then never use it! nt

Post by Evermind » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:25 pm

What annoys me most is that we buy it, then never use it!
*Big Slimy Gollum Hugs!*Death to the Evilstar!*Aure Entuluva!*Glorfindel Supporters Unite!*

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Re: What annoys me most is that we buy it, then never use it

Post by lindorie » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:33 pm

I am a substitute teacher for one of the larger school districts in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. This is my second year at the same district. It is a fairly affluent district, but there are few extras provided by the schools and lots of things that we consider necessary supplies aren't provided at all or in such limited amounts that a classroom would run out of the items in just a couple of months.

Today I subbed on the second day of school and saw the stacks of supplies that the kids had brought in. Right now it seems like a whole lot of stuff, but let me tell you, by March or April, the teachers will be sweating out whether or not those supplies will last. Unfortunately a lot of the items will be wasted, damaged, or destroyed by the children. In particular this goes for pencils, markers, map pencils, sharpies, highlighters, and dry erase markers. Kids don't take care of them, break them intentionally, mash the points, or take them. I know of kids that can go through 3 or more pencils per day. For some reason they think that they have to be razor sharp and they will sharpen them to nubs within 2 or three days...if they bother to keep track of them. I have picked up pencils off the floor at the end of the day and have gotten as many as a dozen of them. This after the kids have been asked to check the floor and pick up or put away anything that doesn't belong there. I know teachers that actually sign out pencils in an effort to make kids more responsible for them.

As far as post its, actually these have become a very handy tool for helping kids organize their thoughts when in the early stages of writing essays or reports. They use the post its to write down individual thoughts or ideas that they would like to include and put the post its in the proper order. True, we didn't use them when we were kids, but for some students, in particular those that are tactile learners, this technique is incredibly valuable in helping them learn and retain organizational habits. Kids will abuse them, however and will use them to send each other notes, etc so that they don't have them when they need them.

A lot of things have changed in education since we were kids. Some of it seems pretty awful, but different techniques are being used to try to help kids who otherwise have a tough time. One of the big things that I have learned in the past few years is the importance of addressing the way a child learns. Most children are visual or auditory learners. They find it easier to understand what is going on by seeing or watching for the visual learners, or by hearing for the auditory ones. These kids are great at reading, watching demonstrations, listening to lectures and that kind of thing. Unfortunately there is a group of learners that has been largely left out and that is the tactile learner, the student who needs to touch or do in order to learn.

I found out, in my forties that I am a tactile learner. I learned it while studying to become a teacher. I was one of those kids that could ace most tests and figure out almost any subject....except math. I found out that math made so much more sense when I was able to use manipulatives. Finally, at the age of 44, I could do math in my head! The use of post its, index cards, and that sort of thing are to help the tactile learners.

As far as baby wipes vs sending the kids to the bathroom to wash their hands...quite simply...kids don't wash their hands. They run a little water on them, but mostly they talk and get silly in the bathroom. In addition, I can hand out baby wipes to every kid in the class and have them rub their hands for thirty seconds with them and have all 25 kids or more ready to go to lunch in 2 minutes. To send a class to the bathroom, generally you have to do it in small groups or they horse around and never get done what they are supposed to do. That can take up to 10 minutes where I could be teaching. Transitions during the day are a huge eater of time. It should take kids 2 minutes to change from one activity in a classroom to another. Some classes can do great with this, but others can take 5-7 minutes. When you consider that you are doing 5-7 transitions a day in class, not counting going to lunch or specials like p.e., music, etc, that's 25-35 minutes of instructional time that should have been less than half that. Anything a teacher can do to save any of this is valuable.

I don't know of a single class that had a single extra box of kleenex left at the end of the year last year, despite every kid being required to bring in 3 each. There was no disinfectant hand cleaner left, no baby wipes, nothing. It all gets used especially in cold and flu season.

If there was one thing that I could teach a parent or teacher to teach their kids, it would be for kids to never cough or sneeze into their hands. Use the crook of your elbow. It's always there and easy to get to and you never use it for opening doors or touching anything. Between that and using the disinfectant hand cleaners in school, kids could avoid spreading about half the colds and flu in their classes.

If you have questions about how things are used in your child's classroom, ask the teacher. I can virtually guarantee that he/she is not wasting supplies because if he/she is, they will spend more out of their own pocket. They would be crazy to do so. Teacher salaries seem high to a lot of people, but they don't begin to cover the hours they put in. I don't know a single teacher that doesn't put in at least an hour a day at home and several hours on the weekends. Summers off aren't off. Usually they are taking classes or workshops, most paid for out of their own pockets but which are required, or 'strongly encouraged' by their schools or districts. It is only the second day of school today, but most of the teachers I know have been in their classrooms for at least a week and a half. They've only been paid for five of those days and they didn't get paid for the Saturday student orientation at all. Most of the teachers I know, if they figure out how many hours they put in out of the classroom, will figure out that their hourly wage is only a dollar or two over minimum wage....not nearly enough for what we entrust them to do.

OK off my soap box now. I love what I do and pray that I can get my own classroom soon. Subbing is a challenge, but I love it. Its easy to question or complain about things, but spend some serious time in your child's school and really get to know what goes on. It's a real eye-opener.

Primula

Interesting stuff on lists...

Post by Primula » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:27 pm

Wow, Lind.... quite an essay! :shock:

Good luck in any future subbing! :up:

I kind of liked one item they had the kids bring last year - they each brought one roll of film. The school kept these in the freezer, and brought them out for the various events and field trips all year long and at the end of the year we had a really great yearbook, with nothing left out.

lindorie

Re: Interesting stuff on lists...

Post by lindorie » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:46 pm

Primula wrote:Wow, Lind.... quite an essay! :shock:

Good luck in any future subbing! :up:
:oops: sorry, this is something I am rather passionate about, if you couldn't tell. :wink:

I got into teaching totally by accident. I actually quit college my first time around because the only thing I could think of that I could do with a history degree was teach and I didn't like kids and had no desire to teach.

When I got out of nursing, it was quite suddenly and my experience had been very traumatic. My son and I moved in with my mother and it took me about six months before I could even decide what kind of classes to start at the local community college. I started out with a computer class and Spanish. I worked part time delivering pizzas and spent a lot of time volunteering in my son's school, where he had just started kindergarten. I couldn't work in Adam's classroom, it was too distracting for him so I volunteered in the library at least once a week for as many hours as I could spare. I got to know several of the teachers and the principal and soon was encouraged to apply as a substitute playground assistant/aide. I worked with the kids a lot and loved it so applied to Portland State to finish my Bachelor's degree and go on to the Graduate Teacher Ed. Program.

In the 10 years since I left nursing, I have interned, student taught, or subbed in 5 districts, from rural, urban inner city, to suburban. I have seen good things and bad things in all of them and as a parent of a kid still in school, I see both sides of a lot of arguements. I can tell you that most teachers don't think that there are as many problem students as there are problem parents. Most of these complain a lot about things and swear that their little darlings would never do a thing wrong, but let me tell you. The sweetest darling can have a really evil streak when mommy and daddy aren't in the room. It's rare that things are that dramatic, but I have seen it. I've seen letters that some of these parents write to teachers threatening them. I've seen teachers cry after meetings with some of these parents, afraid for their jobs, knowing that they haven't done anything wrong, but afraid that the parents will manage to influence someone, or worse yet find out where they live.

I encourage every parent to volunteer in their child's school. I actually think that it's a great idea to NOT volunteer in you child's classroom. Ask if you can help out the nurse, in the office, in the library, the copy room, on the recess field, or anyplace for most of your volunteer time. Listen to the way staff and students interact, how teachers handle the kids. Watch from the sidelines and listen to the kids as they spend time finding books in the library or at recess. You'd be amazed at the things you hear and see. Most of the time things will be great, but every once in a while, you will get a glimmer of why teaching is so tough.

I know I'm preaching to the choir with you, Prim, because you DO work in the schools. Did you know that one year, the week before school started, I put every book in my son's school library in alphabetical Dewey Decimal order? Of course it lasted for about 30 seconds once the teachers got access to the library, but at least we knew it could be done! :wink:

Primula

Post by Primula » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:55 pm

lindorie wrote: Did you know that one year, the week before school started, I put every book in my son's school library in alphabetical Dewey Decimal order? Of course it lasted for about 30 seconds once the teachers got access to the library, but at least we knew it could be done! :wink:
When I was first given charge of the library at our school, it was only alphabetical by author - everything was! :shock: It took me two years to have it all Dewey'd and labeled and in a data base. I once spent hours sorting books into their categories on the shelves, so I could get their spine labels on them and the next day a "parent volunteer" that I didn't ask for "helpfully" came in and spent hours putting them all in order according to author again. Aigh!

Ah well...

Back to school supplies...

lindorie

Post by lindorie » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:58 pm

Primula wrote:
lindorie wrote: Did you know that one year, the week before school started, I put every book in my son's school library in alphabetical Dewey Decimal order? Of course it lasted for about 30 seconds once the teachers got access to the library, but at least we knew it could be done! :wink:
When I was first given charge of the library at our school, it was only alphabetical by author - everything was! :shock: It took me two years to have it all Dewey'd and labeled and in a data base. I once spent hours sorting books into their categories on the shelves, so I could get their spine labels on them and the next day a "parent volunteer" that I didn't ask for "helpfully" came in and spent hours putting them all in order according to author again. Aigh!

Ah well...

Back to school supplies...
LOL, right about here, we need a smiley pulling its hair out, heheheh

sevilodorf

Proactive administration?

Post by sevilodorf » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:53 am

'why isnt the adminstration more proactive in identifying the issue and then resolve it before it becomes a parental concern?
My extremely cynical response to that question (based upon 25 years experience) "Because it's a school district, which like most 'corporate' entities promotes to the level of incompetence."

Sorry, frustration is at a high and school has not even started. Tried to get into my classroom to put up the bulletin boards and set up the room three times this week. Each time was told, "Oh, sorry, the carpets haven't been cleaned yet, they'll be done tomorrow."

Meanwhile school starts the 22nd, they (administration) will stick us in meeting all day Thursday and half the day Friday with the remainder of Friday supposedly dedicated to grade level planning (which would be really useful except that everyone--especially the new people-- will be freaking about getting their rooms semi-organized for Monday).

Though I must count myself lucky.. the next wing over is having major remodeling which looks no where near completion, meaning it will be going on over their heads during class or they might even get the joy of moving into temporary classrooms for the first two weeks.

Obvious question here is why wasn't this project started on June 13th when school was over instead of waiting until the middle of July?

For cynical response.. see above.
The most unusual inn in Ithilien

The Burping Troll

http://burpingtroll.com/index.asp

tinidril

Post by tinidril » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:16 pm

Depends on the school district, of course, but expect to have to provide everything she needs, and to pay fees for anything the school provides: books, locks, sports, etc......... :roll:

When I went to school, I remember having to bring my own pencils.... and that's about it! :cute:
You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to. ~Bilbo
I'm on Facebook ~ The-tinidril on deviantART.com