Need babysitting advice... (txt)

A place for all off-topic discussion.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Avondster

Need babysitting advice... (txt)

Post by Avondster » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:08 am

Okay, my job pays pretty much nothing, and I'm trying to find something on the side for paying all my expensive holidays.

My mother found me this babysitting address, who would very much like to have me. I would not hesitate, since I often look after my friend's kids (for free).

The thing is: these people have infant triplets! That's three baby boys I have to look after at the same time. It's bound to be hard work, and they're just so tiny and fragile. I have looked after babies plenty of times, but not three together. Anyone got any advice?
"I'm a Hobbit, and I know I can't save Middle-Earth. I just want to help my friends. More than anything I wish I could see them again."
- Merry, 'The Return of the King' Extended Edition

Lady of Light

Re: Need babysitting advice... (txt)

Post by Lady of Light » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:21 am

I baby sat twins one time when I was a teenager and it was really hard. One wants food and then the other starts screaming to eat. And just when you get them asleep one would wake up crying and wakes the other. I can't imagine what triplets would be like. Maybe you could get a friend to help you and split the pay. I know it takes away from your money but it would at least bring you some money and still keep you sanity doing it. Good luck
One Ring to Rule them All

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future - Galadriel

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Post by lindorie » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:46 am

It doesnt sound like you have actually talked to the family. Do so, and see how they do things. With multiples, some parents really have the kids quite regimented so that you aren't doing things as constantly as you are afraid that you will be. We had neighbors who had triplets when I was a kid. They were toddlers, and as sweet as could be. I never had to babysit, but I probably would have, had they asked.

Go ahead and talk to the parents and meet the kids. Nothing says you have to say yes until after you've done that.

Primula

Post by Primula » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:47 am

I suppose it would be rather like working in a church nursery. Give each one what they need in turn and wear earplugs so you can remain calm even if they bellow. Good luck!

Tiger-lily

Post by Tiger-lily » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:36 pm

Other than the advice you already have received (excellent advice at that), just make sure you get paid well. A lot of people who have multiples like to be cheap. Also, it may be a good idea to go over to the house while the parents are there so you can see what kind of routine they are on! That way you know what you are in for!!

GOOD LUCK!!

p.s. my ist job was as a babysitter. back in those days, 2 dollars an hour for 3 screaming kids!! :faint:
"T'was in the darkest depths of Mordor I met a girl so fair. But Gollum, and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her,her,her.....yeah!" :twisted:

Elven_Maiden

Post by Elven_Maiden » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:59 pm

Aside from all the good advise you'v alreadt been given, I would say that you should take a friend with you, as LoL said not only to help with the children, but because that will show the parents how responsible you are. And parents who are umpressed pay more, and reccomend you to thier freids. Thats what happened to me when I was asked to sit for people with 5 kids all under 7. but be sure to make sur it's OK you bring a helper along. :D
"...Let a ploughman plow, but choose an otter for swimming, and for running light over grass and leaf, or over snow - an Elf."-- Legolas, FOTR

Avondster

Thanks all, for the great advice! Today I've been... (txt)

Post by Avondster » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:29 am

... to meet the little ones and their parents. I have never in my life met such easy-going babies! The three of them are all smiles at nearly five months, never cried once when I was there, only one of them fussed a bit when he was put to bed.

You know, I really think I am able to do this! There's an exact schedule of when to do what with whom, and my mom lives just around the corner should I need help.

Will keep you updated!
"I'm a Hobbit, and I know I can't save Middle-Earth. I just want to help my friends. More than anything I wish I could see them again."
- Merry, 'The Return of the King' Extended Edition

hobbitgirly

Re: Thanks all, for the great advice! Today I've been... (tx

Post by hobbitgirly » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:42 am

Yes you can do it :D
Sounds like fun baby sitting did a little when I was younger and that went well.
Don't have any advice though :think:
Do tell how it was the first time :thumb:
(':music:')Lord of the rings

Suddenly I see......