FOTR, Oscars, and Gravity

A place for all off-topic discussion.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

MiddleEarthMunchkin

FOTR, Oscars, and Gravity

Post by MiddleEarthMunchkin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 pm

I was watching the Oscars tonight (well, not so much watching as looking at my twitter feed while occasionally checking to see if Benedict Cumberbatch was on screen yet) and I noticed a similarity between Gravity and Fellowship of the Ring.

Back in 2002, FOTR was nominated for 13 Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor. It won 4, none of which was those three "big" awards. (How a movie could be nommed for 13 and not win Best Pic ...)

Gravity was nominated for 10 Oscars, including Best Director, Best Picture, Best Actress. It won 7, neither of which Picture or Actress. (However, it did win Best Director.)

The film that won against FOTR was A Beautiful Mind and had been nommed for 8, and won 4 (including Director, Pic, Actress). Tonight, 12 Years a Slave had received 9 noms (and won 3 Oscars).

I do wonder if the "science fiction/fantasy" element is what kept these two films back at all? Of course, ROTK went on to win big in 2004, but it does seem like there's still a bit of stigma against SF/F films.

(Although, personally, I thought Gravity was a terrible movie in many ways and shouldn't have won, anyway. Yet I know a lot of people disagree with me - obviously, as it was nommed for so much and received so much acclaim - but I just wanted to toss this idea out there.)

I also hope Hobbit 3 wins something next year. The 2004 ROTK awards show (because that's what it really was, let's be honest) was just so much fun. It's rare when I see a movie that wins, and even rarer when I'm crazy about it.

(And I wasn't sure what forum this should be in.)

Strange Elf

Re: FOTR, Oscars, and Gravity

Post by Strange Elf » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:38 am

I had forgotton about the Oscars. I wonder who won what?

Was The Hobbit up for anything?

Nothing will beat the three Oscar years of LOTR. I was blessed to be able to go to all three of the parties, meeting the actors, meeting people I'd only conversed with here on the boards. It was great!
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)