Another Texas Moot

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

daughter_of_kings

Re: Another Texas Moot

Post by daughter_of_kings » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Primula wrote:If all you Texans want to come to the Oregon coast instead, I'll join you. :lala:
If you're offering to host a Moot up there, some of us could probably be enticed into making the journey. :)
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:15 pm

AnnaEstel wrote:As for a store--looks like you better come well stocked.
We might want to consider planning meals ahead of time. If we make it up as we go, we're more likely to need to make last-minute purchases.
AnnaEstel wrote:I'd rather have all my emergency bases covered. I'm even gonna confirm the presence of some sort of EMS in the Leakey area.
That's a good idea. Also, Firiel's a paramedic now, and she brings her med bag with her everywhere, so there will be some medical support on scene.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Ashlyn

Post by Ashlyn » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:00 pm

AnnaEstel wrote:As for a store--looks like you better come well stocked. Leakey is tiny, only just over 300 people according to the web. Any decent size store is likely to be a 30 minute drive. I'm looking at the store situation, actually, for my own info. I'm getting online today to see where the nearest Wal-Mart, HEB or Kroger or such is, just because that's good to know.
Well, from my searching, it looks like the nearest of any of those is Kerrville or Uvalde ... 40-45 miles away (with Uvalde being the straightest shot roadwise). Methinks we'd better plan meals ahead of time! Now, how many good cooks do we have coming? :yum:
He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat.

Fíriel

Post by Fíriel » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm a good cook...at least, that's the rumour. :D

Also, DoK is right, I should have some of the medical end covered...though I'm not cleared to pack meds like epinephrine, so if anyone has a propensity for anaphylactic shock post bee or wasp stings, it might be a good idea to look into bringing an epi-pen. Otherwise, I should have the more traumatic things covered.

Can't wait!

Oh, and I would totally come to a West Coast moot.
"Gondor! Gondor, between the mountains and the sea!
West Wind blew there; the light upon the Silver Tree...."

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:13 am

Dr.G is a pretty good cook who volunteers for this moot to either be in charge of a breakfast Pancake Buffet (I do chocolate raspberry pancakes, banana nut, tropical pancakes (with lime & orange juice, coconut with Rum extract), and gingerbread pancakes. I can do traditional for the less adventurous or can go all out and do Smore Breakfast: chocolate panckaes and Ghrahm Cracker crumbs topped with whipped Marshmallow topping. Sides of Sausage, Bacon and Eggs.

But if that doesn't sound good, I could alwasy bring the makings for a Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake with Whipped cream center and Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.

Or I can just play sou-chef to anyone else.

And, speaking from experience, I can vouch for Firiel's cooking (and have never needed her services as an EMT afterward -- except if I overendulged .... :grin: )

Dr.G
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:25 am

I figured we'd plan the menu ahead of time, and I'll pick up all the needed groceries in Uvalde on our way up, so they are as fresh as they can be. I guess what we need now are meal suggestions. Everyone throw something up and we can vote? I can provide some home-grown, home-produced ingredients like eggs, sausage, and some veggies (carrots, green beans, spinage and a few others) Doc has put up some great breakfast ideas already, how 'bout the other meals?
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

Ashlyn

Post by Ashlyn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:18 pm

Well, I've been known to run the gamut of foods, from simple (chicken salad, sloppy joes, pasta/macaroni/potato salad, barbeque beans, slaw, etc) to about as fancy as you'd want (prime rib roast, coq au vin, lobster, crab stuffed mushrooms, etc) and everything in between (chicken fettuccine with broccoli and pecans, spaghetti, lasagna, chicken caruso, german beef rouladen, braised red cabbage and apples, chinese stir-fry, chicken curry, skillet pork chops with onion gravy, fried chicken, cornbread stuffing, roasted potates, roasted garlic or plain mashed potatoes, potato casserole, creamed corn, corn casserole, etc).
Well, you get the idea. I figure it'll be way too hot for soup of any sort though.

And I'm willing to sous chef for whoever needs me. I will be bringing my good knife set, so we won't have to depend on just what the cabins got available.

Oh, and I do a pretty good coconut cake/cupcakes too!
He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:17 pm

I suppose we should start a Will eat/won't eat list. I am an omnivore. Mrs.Dr.G will not eat Mushrooms or Mayonaise, but is a good sport and doesn't demand that the never appear, just not on her plate. And G-minor needs only PB&J to be happy.

Dr.G

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:18 am

No Lima beans, Brussels sprouts or spinach for me. Like MrsG, I don't mind if they're on the table... just not on my plate. Most of the meat items I eschew are not likely to end up on the table anyway... anchovies, squid/octopus, snails, tripe, etc.....

I'm a decent cook, but the rest of you are much better, so I'll just stay out of the way and enjoy the fruits of your labors. :D
(You can leave me with the washing up.)

Ashlyn

Post by Ashlyn » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:33 pm

daughter_of_kings wrote:(You can leave me with the washing up.)
You're hired!!! :softsmile: :dance: But I won't stop you if you get the desire to cook!
(And you sound kinda like my mother, she's a decent cook, but she's always said she'd rather clean after me than cook herself!)

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:55 am

Well, there goes my escargo/tripe.squid fritatta served on brussle sprout and spinich with a Deer-corn relish on the side...what will we eat? LOL

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:35 am

DoctorGamgee wrote:Well, there goes my escargo/tripe.squid fritatta served on brussle sprout and spinich with a Deer-corn relish on the side...what will we eat? LOL
:-( ... :sick:

Doc, you really know how to turn me a nice leafy green color. :lol:

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:36 am

Almost everything you listed sounded revolting, I was just running on your steam.

Dr.G

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:38 am

One month to go! Time for a 'bump', and a serious request for menu ideas. I vote for Gamgee's pancakes at least one morning, and something on the pit one evening (hot dogs, sausage, steak?) I guess we need to decide how long we are sticking around on Sunday. I think check-out is pre-lunch, but if we aren't ready to split we could eat 'out' Sunday lunch, even if it's BK. So, we need 2 suppers, 2 breakfasts, and one lunch for sure. Plus maybe some ideas for munchies to have about (I still live right next to a mushroom farm :-) ) Let the ideas flow!
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:11 pm

Consider the panckake breakfast done!

Dr.G