at long last...2008 LOTR tour & cruise report

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Mathom

at long last...2008 LOTR tour & cruise report

Post by Mathom » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:52 am

My apologies to those of you who have been waiting for my report on the LOTR tour and cruise of New Zealand that my husband and I experienced last Nov.-Dec. :oops: The trip ended a little before Christmas and I intended to tell you about it at the beginning of the new year, but my notes were all scribbled into a tiny notebook so I had to find time to type them. Then Mr. Mathom had a sudden trip to the emergency room where it was discovered he had a large kidney tumor. :pale: Long story short - emergency surgery to remove the kidney, pathology showed stage 2 cancer - a lot of expert nursing if I do say so myself, and now he is cancer free and feeling much better. Still have to worry about recurrence but he's ok for now. It all happened so quickly and I was so busy I didn't even have time to ask for your prayers but I know we would have had them if I'd asked.

If you just want to know my opinion on whether it was worth the money for this tour and cruise you can skip to the end. Or if you just want the highlights read the Wizard’s Tour section and then skip to Nov. 27 and 28. And for more detail some of the LOTR sites, see Avondster's excellent report.

For this trip we had the option of doing just the 2 week cruise, but we decided to add on the optional 1 week pre-cruise Wizard's land tour.

Nov. 17: we arrived in Auckland, driven from airport to our hotel by someone from Red Carpet tours. We were early so after we checked in we took a bus to see the Botanical Gardens, came back and explored the city, went up the Sky tower and saw a woman bungee jump from the top of sky tower right past the window I was looking out of :shock: - welcome to NZ!

WIZARDS LAND TOUR

That evening we met a very pregnant Erica Challis and her husband Thomas, and the rest of our small land tour group (13 including us), had dinner together and chose our activities for the rest of the week from lots of very cool options.

Nov. 18: Flight from Auckland to Queenstown with thrilling views of snow covered mountains including The Remarkables (the ones used in the films). Took the gondola ride up a mountain to see excellent views of the lake and lovely Queenstown. Bus to Heliworks for a helicopter ride over the area. Landed on top of a mountain, got out and walked around in the snow to see film site - awesome! Flew over other film sites, landed on Shotover River bank to see where Arwen and Frodo escaped the black riders. I was proud of Mr. Mathom who is afraid of heights but was willing to stand on mountain tops for my sake (and to see the sites and views).

Nov. 19: Bus ride to Poolburn (bus driver told interesting stories of NZ life). At Old Moa Creek Hotel we picked up Sue who owns the sheep farm where some filming took place. Quite a character. Went with us to see all the sites on her property where scenes were shot, like where the urak hai said "what do your smell? Manflesh" and the place where Pippin dropped the elven brooch. Under Sue's direction was re-enacted scenes all day. Saw where the Rohan village was burned and where the 3 hunters met and were surrounded by Eomer and his men. Sue was very enthusiastic even though she has never read the books "I don't read books and such" and hasn't even watched all three of the films - only TTT because her farm is in it!

Lunch at the Cellar Door in Alexandra. Heard stories from Erica about how she spied on various filming sites in the early days of filming and how she was banned by New Line which got her name into the local newspapers. It came out how she and her friends were putting info on the website they started for fellow LOTR book fans (TORn) and then PJ and Barry heard about it and invited her to meet with them so they could feed her info and start a dialogue with the LOTR fan base. Very cool to hear those stories directly from the woman herself. Also heard all about the love story between her and Thomas, who is American and met her via TORn, fell in love via electronic communications and meetings at various events and cons, and eventually Thomas moved to NZ and they got married (and now they have a son).

After our return to Queenstown Mr. Mathom and I walked around the botanical garden and then shopped for souvenirs.

Nov. 20: Bus to Deer Park Heights to visit more LOTR sites. Various members of our group posed for photos while re-enacting scenes (Mr. Mathom played Gandalf). Later that day we were driven around in a 4 wheel vehicle named Grima :car: to Kawarau River to see where the Argonaths were filmed. Drove on crazy track that went into the Arrow River many times to the site of Ford and we had tea there and panned for gold (didn't find any). Later drove up 1 lane track up mountain to view Skipper's canyon - beautiful views.

Nov. 21: Bus to airport for flight to Wellington via Christchurch. Drove around Wellington with Erica and Thomas where she showed us place she called "spy hill" cause it's where she went to spy on things back when PJ didn't own so many warehouses so he had to leave sets outside sometimes. Drove around to see warehouses and the outside of PJ's and B. Osbourne's houses, the Green Parrot, and the Te Papa Museum.

Dinner at our hotel with Daniel Reeve (LOTR calligrapher and cartographer) who gave a talk and showed tons of examples of his work on LOTR, Narnia, King Kong, and other films and projects. He was sooo nice and entertaining telling how he came to work on the films and other cool stories. He did demos of calligraphy and we were able to ask him to write anything and then purchase the papers for very inexpensive prices. Daniel Reeve is on both our lists of highlights of the whole trip.

Nov. 22: Bus trip to Victoria Park to see "get off the road" and other sites. Daniel Reeve came with us which was awesome cause he told lots of stories about how it was when they were filming.
Drove to Stansborough Mills for an excellent talk and demos by the owners, Cheryl and Barry Eldridge. Took tour where they explained how they made the elven cloaks, etc. Shopped in their store.

After lunch the bus took us to Kaitoke Park to see Rivendell film sites. It was excellent that we had Daniel with us because he was able to show us where all the scenes were and told us which groups of plants were moved (and stored) during filming and then replanted. Showed us where the waterfalls were and told funny stories about filming. Thomas and Mr. Mathom played Saruman and Gandalf for their walk and talk through the park. Then we drove past the quarry were Helm's Deep was (nothing to see there now). Dinner at Monsoon Poon.

Nov, 23: Mr. Mathom and I took cable car ride up to Botanical Gardens and walked down through gardens back to our hotel. Signed Erica and Thomas' tour book then to airport, stopping to take photos of Embassy Theatre. At airport by chance, met a guy named Richard who played the 1st orc to get an arrow through his neck at Helm's Deep (he works at the airport). Said farewell to Erica and Thomas and got flight to Auckland. In Auckland we were driven to the cruise ship to start the cruise part of the trip.

LOTR CRUISE - Celebrity Millennium
Nov. 23: Found our cabin, checked out the rest of the ship until time for required fire drill. Meanwhile our bags arrived so we unpacked. The ship left shore. I went to the first show in the theatre but was disappointed with the sound system -very tinny and wavery making singers sound off pitch. :(

2nd seating dinner with the rest of the LOTR group. :yum: We opted to sit all together and there were 30 of us including those of us who had been on the pre-cruise tour. Met a few people I had seen before at other cons. We met our group leader, Cathy Udovch, who is the Ringer/travel agent who put it all together. She gave us lovely handmade booklets for notes :write: and whenever we had a LOTR activity we got appropriate stickers to put into our booklets. During our cruise we had meetings arranged by Cathy in a private room on the ship and she arranged for us to view the LOTR films onboard as well as a couple of private parties.

10PM - LOTR cruise group retired to our private meeting room to watch the 1st part of FOTR to refresh our memories for scenes of Hobbiton. We were too tired to watch the whole film.

Nov. 24: Tauranga 1st LOTR excursion on the cruise
Nobody told us to turn off the in-cabin PA system so we work up at 7 am when the very loud announcement came on that the ship was docked. After breakfast we boarded a bus with the other Ringers and our Red Carpet guides, Vic and Ray for a drive to Matamata. The hobbits in our group wore their costumes which made our photos at the hobbit holes that much better.

We arrived at Buckland Rd and drove onto the sheep farm that was chosen for Hobbiton. Heard lots of stories on the way about local farming and about how this site was chosen and how the negotiations went with the owners for filming there. Saw lots of trees, silver fern, daisies, and foxglove.

Had thrilling day in Hobbiton. Our guide told lots of stories about the filming as we moved around. Heard all about the stone pine that was used for the Party Tree :ent: (I was thrilled to touch it) and lots more about the construction of the landscape and the hobbit holes, etc. Learned about cool stuff in the films that I hadn't noticed even after viewing them about a hundred times. We asked about The Hobbit film and were told that they couldn't tell us anything about that. But they all said it with smiles :wink: on their faces so we knew that they knew stuff they couldn't tell us.

We were served a hearty hobbit lunch back at the visitor's centre and then bought stuff in the gift shop. I can't remember when but somewhere on the way there or back we heard about how Vic & Ray met up with Erica and started the Red Carpet Tours. They had to find and negotiate with all the land owners on whose property the filming was done. They called the hobbiton farm owners just before the hobbit holes were supposed to be destroyed, and halted that until they could negotiate with the film people about what they could show, etc. So without Red Carpet Tours there would be nothing left to see there. (Except I assume that now they are rebuilding it so they can film The Hobbit. I hope they get to keep more of it for tourists to see after that film is done).
A most marvelous day!

Nov. 25: - day at sea :read:
Mr. Mathom liked the days at sea because he could finally relax and read all the books he brought with him. Plus there was a library onboard the ship. I worked on our costumes. It was a challenge to figure out something to bring that would fit into our suitcases and pass customs.

Our group had a private costume party in one of the bars. Our group included several gorgeous tall elves in lovely hand made costumes, some people of Gondor, 3 short very cute hobbits, and Mr. Mathom and I were ents.

Later that day we met again to watch the rest of FOTR and start TTT. Costume awards went to two elf sisters and the ents (us!) :star:

Nov. 26: Napier
This day was a cruise tour, not a LOTR tour. Other options were available.
Bus through Napier into the countryside. Drove up Temata mountain for photos of distant views including Hawkesbay. Then to a fruit farm, Pernel Fruit World, where we had a tractor ride around the farm to see apple, pear, apricot, and cherry trees and various berries growing.

After tea, bus ride to the Silky Oak Chocolate factory for tour - yum. Bought kiwi shaped chocolates.

Back on the ship, had early buffet dinner so we could meet with Ringer group to watch part 2 of TTT.

Nov. 27: (Thanksgiving) Wellington 2nd LOTR excursion
After breakfast on the ship our LOTR group was met by Vic & Ray with a bus to take us to WETA!
When we arrived we were met by Tim Launder and taken to the Weta board room. One long wall is full of awards and another has a huge case full of figures, and more awards - and Oscars! :yay: We got to sit around the board room table and Tim gave a welcome speech and answered some questions. Someone in our group asked about The Hobbit and we were told that Weta was not (at that time) working on The Hobbit and they had no contract to do so. Daniel Falconer came in to give a talk and show slides. He was in the middle of a great talk about making the LOTR films when Richard Taylor came in to say hello. :bow: Richard asked Daniel if he was going to show us the new Weta project, a TV show for pre-school children called The Wot Wots (it will premier on TV later this month). I think Daniel looked surprised but they put on a DVD and we got to watch an episode of this very cute show about fuzzy friendly aliens who come to earth and are fascinated by all the animals. After that Tim passed out non-disclosure agreements for each of us to sign which is why I can't post photos here or anywhere on the internet. :quiet: If you want to see photos you have to come to my house. Then Tim took us on a tour of the actual workshops. We got to see about 80% of the workshops where people were making amour, swords, masks, etc. We got to play around with stuff from the LOTR films like hobbit feet, and Eowyn's armor, swords, etc. :sword: We saw tons of cool stuff in cases and hung on the walls, like King Kong heads, orc armor, Gollum statues, a wall of face masks made from famous actors' faces. (We weren't allowed to take photos but Tim took some for us. Then he checked over them and deleted anything we couldn't have and sent them to us after we got back home.) As we walked through various workshops people would stop and show us what they were making and tell us all about it. It was like going behind the Wizard of Oz's curtains to see how the magic was made.

After the Weta workshops tour we got back on our bus and drove to a restaurant for lunch. Tim came with us and Richard Taylor met us there. He sat at our table across from me. :grin: Everyone wanted to talk to him but when I got a turn I mentioned some mutual friends which got his attention. He really likes these people who are good friends of mine and he raved about how great they are. The lunch was very fancy and delicious. Richard gave a little speech and said how great it was that so many people came to visit them. As we finished and were leaving the restaurant to get back on our bus, Mr. Mathom asked Richard a question about managing creative people and they got into a discussion that continued as we got to our bus. Then Richard said to Mr. Mathom and me "come with me and I'll take you back in my car so we can continue our discussion"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! :faint: So Mr. Mathom and Richard got in the front seat and I got in the back and while they were talking I kept thinking to myself "I'm sitting in Richard Taylor's car!" :eek: Scattered around the back seat where his children's toys and books. The ride back to Weta was way too short. When we parked we saw Tania Rodger who was just arriving so we said hi and then she talked to her husband while we met up with our group and went back to the board room for another talk and slide show. This one was by Gino Acevedo about make-up sessions. We saw lots of actors being made into orcs and even some things that were considered but not used in the films, like Frodo degenerating into a more Gollum-like creature. I was sitting close to the door this time and while our attention was on the slide show at the other end of the room, I noticed someone come and stand in the doorway. I turned and looked...it was Guillermo del Toro!!! :eyepopping: He said hi, Gino paused, and Guillermo asked Richard if he could talk to him for a minute. They left together and that was the last we saw of Richard. Now you know why we didn't believe anything anyone there told us about them not working on The Hobbit. :roll:

After Gino finished we had a visit to the Weta Cave, which is the only part of Weta that normal humans can see if they go there. We saw the film and then shopped. I was hoping for more Jane and the Dragon stuff but all they had were DVDs and books. They did have some cool stuff. Plus there is a mini museum with lots of LOTR Weta/Sideshow figures.

Finally, after 6 hours with the people of Weta, it was time to go back to our ship. :sigh: We had such an amazing wonderful day that none of us missed or even remembered that is was Thanksgiving. But we had so much to be thankful for! This excursion was put together by Cathy who contacted the people at Weta to work something out for us which they were willing to do because we were a large tour group and because they already knew Cathy from the cons and parties in LA. It was well worth the price. *at the time of this posting a photo of our tour group is posted on the Weta News 20 March 2009*

And we did have a Thanksgiving dinner when we got back to our ship. What a perfect day! :stars: :swoon:

Nov. 28: Christchurch 3rd LOTR excursion

Another bus ride with Vic & Ray but this time we were accompanied by Brett Beattie (who played Gimli's size double and stuntman). We stopped at the world's best bakery to stock up on food for lunch. During the long drive to the farm where they shot the Edoras scenes Brett told us many great stories about working on the films, like how he got the job starting as just one of the stunt men and then was singled out to be the body of Gimli. He had lots of funny comments on things that happened during filming, lots of accidents and injuries (he was the one who fell on Orlando Bloom, breaking his rib), a lot about horse stunt riding, etc. :rider: On the road we stopped to pick up a hitch-hiker, Derek, who was dressed as :gandalf: , and his wife. Derek and his daughter were extras in the film (Rohan people) and he told us all about that.

We stopped at Mt. Potts Retreat to change into the water shoes we brought with us, then drove through a large stream onto the private property where the Edoras hill is located. Got off the bus, walked and waded through the 3 streams (one was thigh deep!) and climbed up the hill. Derek talked about the various filming locations and told us where each building was, etc. He and Brett walked us all around the hill and up to the top to tell us about how it was during the filming. Vic flew the flag of Rohan from the top of the hill and there was lots of photo taking. We ate the bag lunches we brought while sitting on the hillside away from the wind (yes, it was windy up there).

During the drive back Brett passed around his personal photos albums from the LOTR filming and answered questions. It was so great having Brett and Derek with us. The Edoras site is awesome all by itself, but our experience was so much richer because of all the wonderful stories we heard from them that day.

Back on the ship. After dinner Mr. Mathom and I went up to the top deck after dark to look at the southern hemisphere stars. It was a weird not to recognize any. :huh:

Nov. 29: Dunedin optional cruise excursion
Train ride on the Taieri Gorge Railway. Started at Port Chalmers, through Dunedin past the station, Wingatui junction, Taieri Aero-drome, Waironga, #1 tunnel, Salisbury Tunnel, Salisbury, Taioma, Mullocky Tunnel, Wingatu viaduct, Duck Point Tunnel, and so on to Pukerangi where we stopped and got off train to shop at a little crafts market. During the return trip we were served lunch on the train. Took lots of photos and had a fun time. Very nice volunteers work on the train. Left train at the station in Dunedin which is beautifully restored and full of Royal Doulton tiles and stained glass. Next, a bus ride around the bays to the Penguin Place and then to the Yellow-eyed Penguin Reserve to see the native penguins.

Back on the ship, as we left Dunedin we could see the albatross colony as we passed the cliffs and the lighthouse. The ship captain made an announcement that we were expecting high winds so...(we were expecting him to say something like "don't go near the railings" or "stay off the balconies")... but he said "be careful walking and don't wear high heels"!

Nov. 30: Fiords day at sea
Dusky Sound - a windy and chilly day but I went to upper deck to take photos of the beautiful tree covered mountains of the sound before breakfast. But I forgot to take my camera! Saw dolphins! Went back for camera but dolphins gone by the time I got back.
Doubtful Sound - more photos, lovely views
Milford Sound - our ship was supposed to go through the sound but the sea was too rough that day. Captain waited several hours but it didn't improve so we sailed on.

That evening we met with a sub-group of Ringers who made reservations to have dinner at the extra fancy restaurant instead of the main dining room. There were 8 of us all at one round table. We had 4 waiters who stood behind and between us and set our dishes down in front of us in a perfectly synchronized unison motion. :tea:

That night our group had a PJ party in our private meeting room where we watched some of ROTK.

Dec.1 & 2 & 3: - days at sea
OK this was the only part of the three weeks that I didn't much like - the days at sea. Mr. Mathom appreciated them because he wanted to lie around and read all day. :read: But after the first day I got restless. As I mentioned before, I didn't like the music theatre because of the lousy sound system. I don't drink or gamble so the bars and casino were no help. The shops onboard only sold expensive works of "art" and expensive jewelry (diamonds, pearls, emeralds, etc.). There was a movie theater too but it was playing movies for children during the day and at night films I had already seen. I did a lot of walking around the ship, played a little table tennis, read some, wrote email and postcards, and waited for the ship to get to Australia. I wished I had brought some knitting or something. Best part was the meetings with the other Ringers when we finished ROTK :thatsmile: and compared notes on our trip.

Dec. 4: Melbourne optional cruise excursion
Bus trip with Echidna Walkabout Guides through wildlife park. Saw kangaroos and koalas in the wild. Had a cookout lunch and heard a talk by an aboriginal woman who showed artifacts. A young man played the didgeridoo. Visited important aboriginal site. Mr. Mathom got to try playing didgeridoo (only males are allowed to play it). He impressed the guides by getting good sound out of it on first try. They didn't know he can play baritone and tuba so that helped.

Dec. 5: - day at sea
Our group took up collections and gave thank you cards and cash to Cathy and to our waiters at dinner. Had lobster and baked Alaska and the waiters sang. We said our goodbyes to the other Ringers (except the ones we would see in Sydney). :friends:

Dec. 6: Sydney optional cruise excursion
Bus trip through the city and west to the Blue Mountains. Beautiful views and interesting rock formations. Went on scenic sky ride across two arms of plateau in glass bottomed car. We had lunch and then the bus took us to the Featherdale Animal Park where we got to pet koalas and a baby wallaby and saw lots of Australian birds and animals.

That evening we joined a small group of Ringers attending a concert at the Sydney Opera house complex. :boohoo: That night around midnight the ship's power went out but they got it restored by morning which was the end of our cruise. There was a wait for our luggage to be off the ship and ready for us.

The next two days we spent with friends who live near Sydney so we didn't leave until Dec. 9th. First we had to fly back to Auckland for the return flight to Seattle which made a stop in LA. I thought my LOTR experience had ended by then but while we were standing at the crowded gate waiting to board our flight I found myself standing next to two men who were talking to each other. The one closest to me looked familiar. I looked again and realized it was Guillermo del Toro! I didn't have a chance to say anything to him because he talked to the other guy until they boarded with the first class people. No one else seemed to notice who he was.

Conclusion :thumb:
If they offer this trip again I would recommend it. We had a thrilling time. I'm glad we did the land tour because it added a lot to the experience, but even the cruise alone was awesome because it got us into Weta which we couldn't have done otherwise. Being with a group with a common interest made the cruise more enjoyable because we had something to talk about at dinner and we had lots of fun with the other Ringers talking all things Tolkien. Mr. Mathom and I had saved up for 3 years to do this trip and we don't think we can go again anytime soon but it was worth the money. We could have saved a little by not buying any of the regular cruise excursions and just exploring the various ports on our own. The special LOTR excursions were run by Vic & Ray of Red Carpet Tours and put together by Cathy Udovch of TravelStore in CA. They were all perfect. Cathy also organized our parties, our meetings and the film viewings on the ship. The optional ship excursions organized by the cruise line were ok, but not that exciting. By doing research before your cruise you could probably figure out some cool things to do in each port without spending the money on the cruise excursions. For example, when we got to Sydney some of our Ringers went on climb of the Sydney bridge, and we organized the concert tickets ourselves too.
Last edited by Mathom on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

agape4rivendell

Re: at long last...2008 LOTR tour & cruise report

Post by agape4rivendell » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:18 am

CANNOT WAIT to read this!

I signed up for the Hobbit Premier trip with Red Carpet - in hopes that life will have changed by 2010 or 2011 (whenever the Hobbit finally happens) and I can go..... They seem like very, very nice people.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm going over to the local library and print it out!

Bless you and still praying for you and yours!!!

xxxoooo

Agape
'There will be only one Steward in Gondor, so long as I am King. I will have you as my Steward, or I will have none." PlasticChevy - The Captain and the King

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:14 am

Now of course I wish I had gone on the tour :? . What a super report, one I think I will read more than once, like a good book.

I will be in Seattle in May :D , will you be home?
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Mathom

Post by Mathom » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Yikes! They put the cruise group photo up on TORn! Good thing Mr. Mathom and I are hidden in the back. :oops: :hide:

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:22 am

Not a good thing at all!

Remember, I've met both you and Mr. Mathom, and you are a handsome couple indeed.

I'm off to TORn to see the picture.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)