FOTR in NYC in OCT...

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Lithilien Quicksilver

FOTR in NYC in OCT...

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:49 am

Is anyone here going to the screening of Fellowship at the Radio City Music Hall in October, where Howard's complete score will be performed live as the film is shown?

http://www.theradiocitylotrconcert.com/

Of course, word has been out on this event for some time, but until recently I didn't see any way I could go. Then Overlithe and I decided we were in withdrawal from LOTR events so badly we simply had to do it!

Anyone else from FOME on board for this? Got your tickets (we're going on Saturday night)? Got your hotel room?
White shores are calling... You and I will meet again.

Sylvania

Re: FOTR in NYC in OCT...

Post by Sylvania » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:50 am

You are going to love this Lith. It is the same performance as I saw earlier this year at the Royal Albert Hall in London. (If you go onto the link, you will read a couple of posts from others who saw it at the same time.) I went with a couple of U.K. Ringers, and we were blown away. In fact we have booked up for next year's performance of "The Two Towers".
There will be eight of us, including my daughter. (A birthday present from me and her Dad. I think her husband is wondering what he can come up with to top it!!! :D )
CXXXEP

Fool of a Took

Post by Fool of a Took » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:50 pm

I will be there with my wife. We're making a special trip up to NYC just for this concert. There are a number of LOTR activities going on during that weekend.
"Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And stream that falls from hill to plain!
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took!"

Lithilien Quicksilver

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Ah, Fool of a Took, we must be sure to meet! Are you the same as the poster with your handle on the TOR.n message board? At any rate, hopefully we will be at some of the same moots and such that weekend.

I look forward to meeting you and your wife. 8)

TolmanJr

Post by TolmanJr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:45 pm

I am VERY interested in going, have been trying to stir up local interest here for a small group to go, unfortunately no takers so far. :mutter:

Will just have to twist those arms a little harder, that's all.

Has anyone chosen a hotel yet?
This day does not belong to one man but to all. Let us together rebuild this world,
That we may share in the days of peace.

Fool of a Took

Post by Fool of a Took » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:28 am

That is indeed me, Lithilien! I will be attending Saturday's show in Orchestra Sec 3, I think. We might be missing some preliminary LOTR stuff on Friday, but hopefully making it to all the other events. Looks like to keep cost down my wife and I are staying with friends who live just outside the city, but we'll make an early start to meet up with any fellow fans... perhaps for breakfast. Or second breakfast. Or elevensies... :D

Fool of a Took

Post by Fool of a Took » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:33 am

Hi Tolman

There is an "official" hotel for those Rings fans going to the concert. This is a quote from a post by Altaira on the TORN message boards:

"We now have an official hotel for the Radio City Weekend: The Park Central New York. The hotel is steps away from Radio City and Central Park, and only a few blocks from Times Square, MoMA, St. Patricks and many other NY attractions.

Best of all, Wendy Magro at CAMI has negotiated amazing rates:

Single/Double occupancy:$179 (about $208 w/tax)
Three adults to a room: $204 (about $237 w/tax)
Four adults to a room: $229 (about $266 w/tax)

You must follow the link below to make your reservations:

http://www.reztrip.com/...3%26code2%3D10760107"

Hope that helps...

Fëawen

Post by Fëawen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:06 am

Oh!! How I wished that I lived in NYC but in stead I live in a country and a city were newses reaches us too late.
When I am in the Shire I feel like I am home and for the first time in my life I can be myself

Tamara

Post by Tamara » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:19 am

Just bought my ticket and am now trying to find someone with a booked room. Everything from the host hotel is sold out, so please let me know if you hear of anyone looking for roommates.
---Tamara
Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm still headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) some day!

Lithilien Quicksilver

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Tamara wrote:Just bought my ticket and am now trying to find someone with a booked room. Everything from the host hotel is sold out, so please let me know if you hear of anyone looking for roommates.
---Tamara
PM on the way, Tamara.

Tamara

Post by Tamara » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:23 am

Ringers are the best! I am now set for a hotel Friday and Saturday.

NOW, I just need to see when all these fab moot activities are taking place from TORn, to see when I should book my flight. If I don't want to do Thurs/Sun, then I can hang out with a friend one day and fly home on Sunday.
---Tamara
Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm still headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) some day!

Tamara

Post by Tamara » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:52 am

Does anyone else want to go? Lith, Overlithe64, and I have one more space in our room for Thursday through Sunday night. I arrive Thursday afternoon and leave Monday morning, so I hope to attend all the activities being arranged by the fans.

PM us ASAP if you need a bed!
---Tamara

Lithilien Quicksilver

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:48 am

Well, I'm off this morning for NYC. I am so looking forward to this weekend's events, starting late tonight with Beecake, then the Tolkien manuscripts exhibit tomorrow, a Ringer moot tomorrow evening, and finally FOTR with live soundtrack Saturday night. Plus plenty of time between events to just hang out and enjoy the company of other Ringers and NYC itself.

My only disappointment is that I won't be seeing more of you there. :(

I'll be in very late Sunday night, so I probably won't pop in until sometime Monday after I'm a bit rested up from my little Adventure.

Keep the boards warm! :hi:

GondorsQueen

Post by GondorsQueen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Lith and everyone else going .. enjoy! I wish I could be there also but we're heading to Maryland to photograph a wedding and music event.

BeeCake was fantastic last night; and surprise, Sandy was there too; it's been years since we've seen each other.

MrsFrodoBaggins

Post by MrsFrodoBaggins » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:41 am

I will be there on Friday night. :up::thatsmile: Would like to drop by the moot after the concert. Maybe a mini-moot for lunch on Saturday? My daughter will be along, too. We're staying at the Hampton Inn, Times Square. Will be flying Saturday night to London (she's thinking of doing a semester's worth of study there next year), but the plane doesn't leave 'til 9:00 p.m, so we have plenty of time on Saturday (well, aside from going to Build-a-Bear Workshop, that is :lol:).