My Ring*Con 2009 report

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Avondster

My Ring*Con 2009 report

Post by Avondster » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:33 pm

"I'm a Hobbit, and I know I can't save Middle-Earth. I just want to help my friends. More than anything I wish I could see them again."
- Merry, 'The Return of the King' Extended Edition

RingconMC

Re: My Ring*Con 2009 report

Post by RingconMC » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:07 pm

Good review. Missing the countries was not correct but good nonetheless.

See 'ya next year. We'll work hard to get those canceled guests back. Wish me luck.

agape4rivendell

Post by agape4rivendell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Finally got a chance to come over here and read this... very thorough. It was such fun being with 'real Ringers' for this event.

I wanted to say just a couple things - first Marc, the emcee, is about the classiest person I've ever met. He had a difficult task to perform, what with Ringers being upset with Twilight being there, but he handled it well. Besides that - he gave of himself. You always saw him talking to fans - very personable. His 'dance' with our birthday girl, Indis, on Sunday night, was memorable.

Marc - you rock!!!!

As for the Con itself... shades of the Toronto Gathering kept floating before me.... nothing can ever match that experience... This was a Con, pure and simple.... so we didn't have the in-depth Tolkien talks that made the Toronto event so special. The art show was a bit disappointing - but Varda's entries were awesome..... AND she gifted me with her sketch of the King of the Dead. Brilliant! VARDA - can't thank you enough....

There was a display of the Pelennor Battle - HUGE - I have tried to find a link somewhere so that I could share it with you - incredible, breath-taking, awe-inspiring. This man and family/friends made a miniature version of the battle, with Mumakil and trolls, and beasts and tents and siege towers... In detail... Still takes my breath away now - to think about it.... I can't even say how large it was.... but being in the midst of writing the Denethor epic - I just drank it in. I saw things I hadn't thought of that were going on.... it was fantastic. If anyone has a link to a site that 'shows' this incredible piece, I'd most appreciate it.

Bruce (Gamling) is absolutely the best - while other actors seemed to run away from fans - Bruce just jumped right into the melee and shared himself and his smile. I do love the man! Jarl was a dear too, though he seems very shy. Bless his little heart.

The German Tolkien Society has the BEST members.... really kind, intelligent, and caring. They made the Con for me! There generosity was astounding. I was sooooo delighted to meet Anke Eissmann, the artist, at their booth. I have loved her works for years (though she is an avowed Faramir fan) and had a great time chatting with her and looking through her portfolio... She was most kind. Her talk was very good too. Though we all were suffering from 'late night bar exhaustion.' http://anke.edoras-art.de/ (her website).

As I said in a post somewhere else, Born of Hope was fun to watch. Except for the fact that Aragorn's mother was blonde. Couldn't quite reconcile with that. But the cast and crew and director/producer were there and very sharing and excited. It was fun to be a part of the 'sneak peak' at the film

Again - the best part of ANY LotR event is meeting other Ringers.... My deepest thanks to Indis and Elentari for making this possible for me! God bless you both, my dearest sisters!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooooooo
Agape
'There will be only one Steward in Gondor, so long as I am King. I will have you as my Steward, or I will have none." PlasticChevy - The Captain and the King

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Anke's work is terrific, AGAPE ... thanks for the link.

I sure would like to see THE WORLD ACCORDING TO HALDIR! :-)

Haldirriel

Post by Haldirriel » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Found it......
(trust in "Haldir's Lady" to find info about this marvelous elf :-)

http://blithesea.net/vids/haldir/

Cheers,
Haldirriel
"I shall lead you well, and the paths are smooth and straight"

Haldir Lives!

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:04 pm

:grin: :rofl: :mambo: :rofl: :music: :yes: :love:
Thanks so much for the link... I laughed out loud, it was terrific! :yes:

leiah

Post by leiah » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:20 am

Glad to see you are still around. Are you going to this years fantasy fair or castle fest.
Unfortunately here too there is less and less lotr and more other fantasy topics. I miss lotr. Maybe it comes back when the hobbit will finally be released.
even the most subtle spiders may leave a weak thread. - Gandalf