Boston's monthly moot: September 25

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Tamara

Post by Tamara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:11 am

After much planning, we now have a calendar of monthly events for our Boston LOTR group. We just wrapped our first moot on schedule (amazing) with a trip to the Public Gardens to ride the swan boats. No Galadriel, and our arms don't get tired from paddling, like the Fellowship, but such a fun outing. Now, we're planning September's event: Baggins Birthday and the topic is costuming! Should be a lot of fun. Here are the details:

Sunday, September 25 · 12:00pm - 2:00pm

Heather's House
East Arlington, MA

Join us as we celebrate Bilbo and Frodo's Birthday (actually September 22).

We'll enjoy a potluck lunch, and feast our eyes on a costume show-and-tell of past and in-the-works outfits you have made or worn. Costumes do NOT have to be Tolkien related. As this event is one month prior to Halloween, our costuming experts can share techniques that will be helpful to all!

Heather's house is within walking distance of Alewife Station and Massachusetts Avenue in East Arlington. Off-street and street parking is available so you can drive, take public transportation, or walk to the moot.

RSVP and Tamara will send you the street address and directions. Feel free to share this event with friends of all ages. Heather has a large backyard and playroom, so kids are welcome too.

The RSVP list is over on Facebook, but you don't have to be a member there to attend- just let me know. If you are, feel free to share/invite your friends:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=225753890803797

I just love getting together with Ringers!
---Tamara
Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm still headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) some day!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:59 am

Wow! Y'all are awesome - putting together a monthly moot. Our Texas group is doing good to get together once a year. Now if Boston were just a little closer to TX... :D
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Tamara

Re: Boston's monthly moot: September 25

Post by Tamara » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks! :oops:

It's just me being selfish, really. I have such a good time with my fellow Ringers, that I figured monthly moots are worth a try. I came in late to the fandom- right before the premier of ROTK- and the group founder needed help. She sort of trailed off organizing moots after the film, so I picked up the slack.

We've been doing things a few times each year since 2003, but The Hobbit films coming next year are a great excuse to start gearing up again. I aim for small gatherings, so that way I can be surprised when we have a big turnout! :)
---Tamara
Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm still headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) some day!