San Diego Comic-Con 2012

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Tamara

San Diego Comic-Con 2012

Post by Tamara » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:08 am

Heading out to San Diego from work tomorrow.

Excited to see there are quite a few Hobbit or LOTR related panels between the films and actors.

THURSDAY:
TORn's Hobbit panel to open the convention, Elijah Wood on the Wilfred panel, and Karl Urban moderating the Masters of the Web panel, and then I'm attending the dinner with WETA that night. (Yay! I love those guys!)

FRIDAY:
Sean Astin in the Go Green: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles panel and John Noble hosting the Dark Matters: Twisted but True panel.

SATURDAY:
The big Warner Bros panel in Hall H with The Hobbit!! Plus, John Noble signing autographs in the Sails Pavilion.

SUNDAY:
Fringe Panel with John Noble

And if you like collectables, these booths will have Tolkien goodness:
Badali Jewelry – #530/532
Sideshow Collectibles – #1929
Warner Bros. – #4545
WETA – #3513B
Donato Arts – #4503
Gentle Giant – #3513
LEGO – #2829

I arrive around midnight Tuesday and head home Sunday night on the red-eye.

Anyone else going from the forum?
---Tamara
Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm still headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) some day!

Mathom

Re: San Diego Comic-Con 2012

Post by Mathom » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Wish I could but I must be somewhere else for my granddaughter's 2nd birthday. My son is at ComicCon but his interests lie in areas other than Tolkien. I asked him to get me some Hobbit swag though. Hope he finds time to do that. :crossed:

Tamara

Post by Tamara » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 am

There wasn't much swag compared to past years, but I had a good time. Warner bros was supposed to launch the Hobbit movie poster...but I didn't get my hands on it until the last day, despite looking every day.

I only made it to the two big Hobbit panels: TORn and Warner Bros. Lines were insane again. I may have to rethink my panel strategy for next year.

Overall, I had a good time. I have a wide range of interests, so I can usually find something to interest me...and if not, you can always wander the Exhibition floor and check out the cool goodies! I really like a couple of the outdoor exhibits this year: Batmobiles and Grimm's forest were pretty fun.
---Tamara
Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm still headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) some day!

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:59 am

Glad you got to go, it's quite a circus down there. A couple of my kids are thinking of going to the "other comicon" - the Emerald City one in Seattle and are saving up money for that venture which seems more in reach for them. I'll have to look up some pics of the exhibits you mentioned, they sound like good fun too. :-)

Tamara

Post by Tamara » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:16 am

San Diego has pretty much been my ONLY annual trip the past 5 years. Once my visit to NZ is over though....maybe I can see about others. :)

I didn't realize I had not posted my pictures:
http://www.tsangsisters.net/coppermine/ ... ?album=115

Those are in my home page, but do show some of the batmobiles and the GRIMM Forest/Aunt Marie's Trailer exhibit they put together. I'm telling you, as someone who grew up in Oregon, it kind of sucks that Grimm is filming there now. :) Ah well, at least it was Salem and not Portland, or I'd spend half to show trying to identify where they were shooting! :)