Concept

Inspiration in any form.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

yaralindi

Concept

Post by yaralindi » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:11 am

Okay, I have been urged to start uploading some of my stuff and I think this is as good a start as I can. I'm starting a project and need your opinion. I recently finished re-reading The Hobbit and that has produced a desire for a painting of Smaug. I just did this and need comments for improving it before I move it to the canvas. All inputs are welcome. - Thanks - Yar

Purveyor of ancient songs

tinidril

Re: Concept

Post by tinidril » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:22 pm

I love drawing dragons, hehehe. And this sketch has great expression! I would suggest, when you flesh out the details, that teeth be more visible... possibly mouth open. But that is just my preference :wink:

Placement on the canvas should have a bit more space on the left side... maybe even have the canvas in the "landscape" position to allow more breathing room at sides. Either that or reduce the proportionate size of the subject on a "portrait" oriented canvas.
You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to. ~Bilbo
I'm on Facebook ~ The-tinidril on deviantART.com

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:48 am

tinidril wrote:I love drawing dragons, hehehe. And this sketch has great expression! I would suggest, when you flesh out the details, that teeth be more visible... possibly mouth open. But that is just my preference :wink:
I like sketching dragons. I have not painted one yet, but I'm thinking it will be much more difficult. Proper shading and color will be key. Painting a basket of fruit is fairly easy. I can put one on a table and see the colors and proper shading. Painting a dragon is going to stretch my abilities and that is good, I think. Thanks for the suggestions!
tinidril wrote:Placement on the canvas should have a bit more space on the left side... maybe even have the canvas in the "landscape" position to allow more breathing room at sides. Either that or reduce the proportionate size of the subject on a "portrait" oriented canvas.
Oh! Sorry, this is just the head. The actual composition of the painting is still not finished, but it will include a dark, dwarvish, cavernous room with square columns, dwarf embellishments, and a huge mound of gold, gems, and jewelry with Smaug on top. I'm still trying to figure out how to get Bilbo in there (in the back sneaking in, from the side, from our direction so all we see is the back of his head?). Also, do I add a dwarf peaking out of a hole Bilbo just came from? Perhaps, but that might detract from the dragon and Bilbo. I'm still sketching. I'll post more as I finish them.

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:01 am

I did this a long time ago, but I thought of it while reading The Hobbit.

Bilbo - "Squish your head, squish your head."

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:36 am

LOL...Hobbits in the Hall! ROTF!

It looks good, Yar. I can't wait to see the whole thing.

Doc
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:07 am

DoctorGamgee wrote: It looks good, Yar. I can't wait to see the whole thing.
What Doc said... go to it. :hi:

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:04 am

Ringwraith-Wife wrote:
DoctorGamgee wrote: It looks good, Yar. I can't wait to see the whole thing.
What Doc said... go to it. :hi:
I'll add my "aye" to that!

By the way, "squish your head" really made me laugh. :grin:
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.