woodcraft

Inspiration in any form.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

JimboBaggins

woodcraft

Post by JimboBaggins » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Well I posted some pics of Onomir's birthday gift of my woodburning of The White tree and Shards/Narsil.
I've managed to get about 2/3 of the rest of my wood art loaded to PhotoBucket.
Let the critique begin...
The password is: GotWood12

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m126 ... Woodcraft/
"But I wish Bilbo could have seen Treebeard: how we shall manage to describe him to the old hobbit, if ever we get back, I can't think."

JimboBaggins

Re: woodcraft

Post by JimboBaggins » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:59 pm

The GreenMan face is my current project. I've started burning the detail this week.
I've made about 6 walking sticks but they don't photo well but I'll try later. My best stick work has been given as gifts and I can't find the pictures I took of them.
I'm going to tackle Michelangelo's Pieta next. A large task but I'm getting some new tools for my birthday and it'll help.
I have several more birds to do soon too.
JT
"But I wish Bilbo could have seen Treebeard: how we shall manage to describe him to the old hobbit, if ever we get back, I can't think."

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:37 pm

I love it. I love it all. My husband is laughing at me, because every time I loaded a new picture, I said, "oooh" or "wow" or "that's so cool!" The birds are all very nice. And the ferns, or whatever the plants are. I love the frog on the box. If you sold these, I would buy the White Tree of Gondor just to decorate our lodgings at Texas Moot. If you took requests, I would ask for a heron.

Am I gushing? I'm gushing, aren't I? :oops: :roll:

Anyway, I'm a fan of woodworking and I really like your work.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

HobbitNaga

Post by HobbitNaga » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:01 pm

So cool. These are beautiful!
"I belong to both worlds and neither."-Tarkau in Epic

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Do you do commissioned work? These are amazing!

JimboBaggins

Post by JimboBaggins » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:00 pm

thank you all for the kind remarks.
I just started carving last November and I'm trying to get an inventory built up and the Mrs. doesn't want to let go of anything.
I'll consider taking orders once I get my confidence up so if you have any requests let me know. I can woodburn stuff in a matter of days (the ferns on the flower press and The Shards of Narsil took 2 nights and a week total from design to completion). The carvings takes about a month, working 1 or 2 hours a night and about 4 nights a week. Time is my enemy. With the garden producing right now a lot of time is outside working so sitting on my butt is secondary.
I created a lap board to work on. It's padded on the bottom with holes drilled in for bench-dogs (plastic pieces to hold the work from moving so I have both hands to move the Flex-cut tools) and a bottom tray to collect carvings. I also drilled a bunch of holes along a top edges for holding tools and Dremel bits. I'm moving towards using the Dremel for speed and precision but I try to use hand tools as much as possible.
I will try to carve a couple of small Santa's before Christmas. Seems like every woodcarver out there does them but I'll try to be different with the old-world look to mine. Santa the Viking.
I have two 3-ring binders filled with images to work on. One binder with nothing but Tolkien images. So much art, so little time. I collected numerous magazines, books and library material to educate myself on the art of wood carving. Anybody got a few thousand dollars laying around for equipment?? Boy, there is some nice stuff out there. We have a place in Portland called Woodcrafters ...
http://woodcrafters.us/
and Rockler...
http://www.rockler.com/retail/portland- ... -store.cfm

Like a kid in a candy store.
You're all too kind.
JB