Thor

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

yaralindi

Thor

Post by yaralindi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:19 pm

I have always been a bit of a comic book nerd, and while most of the conversions to the big screen of the heroes in comic books have been dismal, I am a real fan of Thor. The writing is superb, the special effects are amazing, and Chris Hemsworth is just perfect for the role.

As to why Thor, I think it is the black and white of the character. There is very little gray in Thor's world. It is either good or it is something Thor opposes. Opposing it does not necessarily make it evil, just not good in the eyes of Thor. That was the way of Superman, Batman, etc. in their comics and turning both of into emotionally wrecked human beings may be okay for Hollywood, but they have not played well for comic fans. I have not seen, nor will I see, the latest Superman and The Dark Knight series is straight out.

For those who were not aware, the next installment is due in theaters on November 8 - Thor: The Dark World. I am much more excited about this release than I am about The Desolation of Smaug.

Trailers:

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

(I LOVE the ending on the 2nd trailer.)
Purveyor of ancient songs

Icarus

Re: Thor

Post by Icarus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:54 pm

yaralindi wrote:(I LOVE the ending on the 2nd trailer.)
That's pretty awesome. I'd vote for the end of the first trailer, though: "*When* you betray me..." :-D

I have always been a big fan of Thor from the comic book days (remember the 12" action figures? Thor and Conan were my favorites!) as well. I kind of like the 'overcoming a big ego' story line that runs through it.

And I completely agree with the stupidity that they've pulled in the recent adaptations of many of the super-heroes. It seems like it's primarily DC comics that have made the transition so badly... pushing the 'tragic hero' concept. Batman has been doing it for years in comics with the whole 'Dark Knight' fiasco (the first movie with Christian Bale, though, is really good and Heath Ledger as Joker in the 2nd truly IS the role of a lifetime (may he RIP)). But Super-heroes are SUPPOSED to be simple and lovable. Period. Captain America does it well, too.

I am REALLY looking forward to the new Thor, now! Thanks Yar!!!
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." – Thomas Jefferson

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Icarus wrote:Heath Ledger as Joker in the 2nd truly IS the role of a lifetime (may he RIP)).
I read that Heath was marvelous in this role. Considering his acting in other movies has been superb, I would not doubt he would make even the botched scripts for these Batman movies seem wonderful. I just cannot stand the angst of an emotionally tortured Batman. Part of the appeal of these is their separation from the real world of mostly gray.

I don't want real world when I go see a fantasy movie. I want evil villains and really good heroes. A novel has the time to show me more of what is inside both the protagonist and the antagonist. I love it when the hero struggles not only with a problem but with himself/herself. Bilbo was my first introduction to that. He was a model citizen of The Shire. He struggled with his Tookishness that eventually had him on an adventure and actually liking parts of it. Not most of it, but some of it.

There really isn't enough time in a 2 hour movie to tell a great story and dig into why the main character is struggling. You can do one of those well, but not both.

I'm very much looking forward to this film for no other reason than for 2 hours I get a world of black and white. Gray has been shoved into the corner and the world is just like it was when I was a kid - right and wrong and nothing in between
Purveyor of ancient songs

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:25 am

Hear, hear!
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." – Thomas Jefferson

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:09 am

We saw the recent Superman movie and liked it pretty well, though we liked Thor Better and like you tend to get tired of the Tragic hero boondoggle. Hated the last superman for just that reason.

And I agree... the ending of #2 is pretty awesome!
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 am

yaralindi wrote:I'm very much looking forward to this film for no other reason than for 2 hours I get a world of black and white. Gray has been shoved into the corner and the world is just like it was when I was a kid - right and wrong and nothing in between
Hear! Hear!
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

bregotamer

Post by bregotamer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:43 pm

I am a fan of movies....I mean don't get me wrong, I love good books - actually good stories. But I am so looking forward to the next Thor. I liked the Dark Knight Series more so than the previous Batmans which just seemed to try and find the "hottie dejure" and put her in a costume or character. It seemed like Hollywood couldn't keep a Batman for more than one or two movies. I liked the last Superman movie, before this new one that's out, but not necessarily more than the Christopher Reeves versions. And although I didn't think I would enjoy the latest Spiderman....the acting was much better than the the series before it.

Honestly, though, I think what I enjoy about super hero movies is when they use the same superhero/actor.....When I saw the trailers for the "New" Spiderman and the "New" Superman, my first thought was "oh, brother, again?

As a movie goer, I want to see new superheroes, not the same ones done and redone to death.

By the way, I like the second trailer better too.
My friends, you bow to no one."

Mrs_Pippin-Took

Post by Mrs_Pippin-Took » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:22 pm

I just saw it in the theaters and it was amazing. Really amazing. I went to see Loki and Chris Ecclestone.
What's the point of being grown up when you can't be childish sometimes

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Hey, Mrs.P! Glad to see you back!

G-minor and I had a great time at THOR. What an excellent movie. The boy wants to go see it again "like, ten times" to make sure he didn't miss anything. So I guess that is a rather large TWO THUMBS UP!!!!
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

bregotamer

Post by bregotamer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Well, Mrs. P, as I live and breath! Great to see you! I took my orcs to go see Thor last weekend and we all loved it. It was well written and we really enjoyed the humor. I had 6 in my crew, Doc. That would be FOURTEEN THUMBS UP! :rider:
My friends, you bow to no one."

MiddleEarthMunchkin

Post by MiddleEarthMunchkin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:41 pm

I just saw it on Thursday (hah! Thor's day!) with my dad and we loved it. He was reluctant going in - I keep telling him to stop reading reviews beforehand - and he keeps calling me to reminisce about his favorite scenes, lol.

Did you guys stay to the end of the credits? There's two scenes - one about a minute after the credits start, and then another (better, imho) one at the very, very end. 8)

I just adore the Thor movies so much. I don't know much about the comic (for any of the superhero movies, I had no knowledge of the comics) but I love the look and feel of the films, and the mix of humor and action and mythology and technology and story. And, um, Thor. Although I liked his character before I saw his muscles, m'kay? :-)

I was thinking about this just the other day, about black/white villain/hero and the recent changes in movies like Batman and, of course, Man of Steel (which I also adored, and I know a ton of people who had problems with it). I think for me, sometimes I need just a good guy/bad guy movie. Other times, I'm in the mood for something different. Mostly I have to feel there's character growth, which is why I liked the first Thor movie so much.