Scrapbook shepherd

Items of Importance from the other forums.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Primula

Scrapbook shepherd

Post by Primula » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:01 am

Would anyone like to take on keeping the Scrapbook? I realize it's an out-of-date behemoth that really is in need of a complete sort-and-re-do, but it's a rather beloved old Rube Goldberg contraption and I'd hate to have to just park its content offline.

:write: :hide: :gandalf:

Linaewen
Site Admin

Re: Scrapbook shepherd

Post by Linaewen » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:26 pm

I still use it fairly often, actually. It's one place where I know I can find some of the things I want to reread, and I still have things posted there that were not ever posted elsewhere.

What would be involved in "taking it on" -- finding a place to host it? Maintaining it? All this and more?

I'm not sure I'm the one for the job, but I definitely feel like it would great to continue having access to it!
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

Calafalas

Post by Calafalas » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:53 pm

Like Linaewen, I use the scrapbook fairly often. I will discuss the possibilities of taking on the Scrapbook with my tech savvy Hobbit dude. Perhaps Linaewen and I could take it on together.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. John Muir

Primula

Post by Primula » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:56 pm

Well, bookloaf.net belongs to us, so it would involve having a domain to host it at, then we would zip it up to send along. The new steward could do as they like from that point....

Because it was originally designed by Redbeard in the old-old-boards era it is set in frames. It could be either re-done by breaking it out of the frames, redesigned, winnowed, condensed, or even just left clunking along as-is!
:pony:

Edited to add: Upgrades to our system here at home have broken some of my older tools and one of those is my uploader, so I apologize that I haven't been able to update the Scrapbook online for a while. At this point I haven't had anyone step forward and will likely just archive it offline whenever the domain expires next time. If that's what happens, you could always contact me with any specific items and I could send you a copy of them.

EDITED to add an update: the Scrapbook is kept under bookloaf.net. This is a site that Treble and I still own, so it will remain online, it will only be the lotrscrapbook.com name that will now expire. You will still be able to see it as long as you use the direct url, http://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net

8) :read: :cyclops:

Onomir
Site Admin

Post by Onomir » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:50 pm

Questions That Need Answering
�Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget."

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:55 pm

Sadly I am in no position to take over anything. But I do hope the Scrapbook can be kept accessible online somehow, as I go there kinda regular.
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

Linaewen
Site Admin

Post by Linaewen » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:20 am

AnnaEstel wrote:Sadly I am in no position to take over anything. But I do hope the Scrapbook can be kept accessible online somehow, as I go there kinda regular.
I don't think we have to worry about the Scrapbook. The latest info from Prim is that the Scrapbook is okay and will remain, as it is hosted on a site that they will keep up -- but it has to be accessed using the direct link to it at bookloaf. The lotrscrapbook.com domain that linked to the Scrapbook at bookloaf is going away, but that doesn't actually affect the Scrapbook itself. Use the direct link that Prim gives above and you are good to go.
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor