Dreamwidth - lotrfellowship info here

Items of Importance from the other forums.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Strange Elf

Re: New Home - lotrfellowship info here

Post by Strange Elf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:04 am

Bregalad wrote:I'm in the same boat, SE. Having some trouble figuring this out. I've been to the new site a few times, but am seeing very little. I'm on it now and all I see is 3 posts under the "Member Posts", but nothing under "Recent Entries" or "Archive". I just figured out, as I'm writing this, on how to get into a post and how to see comments to that post (basically, the string). My question is, if someone doesn't have a current post, how do you get to their journal to see older posts? Help!
i'll be watching for an answer to your question, friend Bregalad. I am frustrated by our new home and thus, visit it very little. I used to check I here every day, so you can imagine I miss it.

It is wonderful to see your name. Occasionally I come across the picture of us together at that one convention. I hope life is treating you well.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Elvellon Ringsbane

Post by Elvellon Ringsbane » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:14 pm

elvellonringsbane has sent her request. :-)

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Since I'm now retired, I'm spending a lot of time organizing my records, which will include pictures. I have the pix from the conventions on my computer, so I do look at them from time to time. They bring back good memories.

I connected on the new site with one of Prim's posts and asked her the same thing. She replied with some good points, which I followed and am now slowly getting more connected with others on the site. What I'm seeing, however, is not so much what we had here, but more of the "social network" type of posting. I'm not into posting about my day to day activities, nor reading the same about others, so I generally check the most recent posts and if I don't see anything interesting to comment on, I drop off and wait for another day. I definitely am not seeing much about Tolkien and LOTR / Hobbit subjects, although I hope that changes as more old timers sign up. So far I can see Prim (of course), Linaewen, and ElvellonRingsbane. I haven't seen you yet, so I can't connect with you until you post something current, then I can add you to my circle and vice versa.

Anyway, it won't be like this site or the older sites, but I'm going to give it a chance.

Below are the instructions Prim gave me, which should help you or anyone trying to switch over. Hope this helps. Prim really does have a good handle on how the new site works, so she is a good source.

I hope you keep checking this site so you'll see this post.

From Prim:
To see other people's journals: At the top of your own journal you click the tab "Reading" - this shows you the entries for everyone you are following (i.e. the people in your 'circle' - DWth didn't like calling them "friends" like FB because, as they pointed out, they may not even know you much less be an actual friend).

Once you are in "Reading" at the top you'll see "Manage Circle". This will give you a list of everyone you are following, etc. and you can adjust level of access (do they see you too? etc), approve and/or add people there. I just add people from our Rings group whenever I see them, so the posts in their journals automatically pop up on my Reading page.

You can subscribe to communities, so posts to that community will also show up in your Reading page.

Hope that helps! It does mean a little more work on the front end when you're just getting started, but is easy to manage as you go along.

Primula

Post by Primula » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm sorry the different, more "bloggy" approach seems to be a problem for folks - I am completely open to our trying a different site if anyone is willing to help out with getting it set up for us.

We could even do a basic sub-reddit on Reddit if that was wanted, it would have the ongoing scrolling effect we like and be free as well - wouldn't be as pretty, tho', and the mod system there may be a learning curve.

modelnut

Post by modelnut » Mon May 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Apparently I did not know to request to join. Silly me. :roll:

Now I wait.

- Leelan
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred"
- Henry Cabot Henhaus III 1967

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:40 pm

I am supremely late to the party, as always, but I've requested to join. Someone acquisitioned Wanderer, so I'll be going by wanderingbree
~*Wandering the roads of life and love*~
*~I am of the roads of life. Let us see where they shall lead. If we like them not, we shall make our own paths~*

~*Bree*~

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:08 pm

I don't see a good way to reintroduce the word games on our new site, so I made a facebook group. If any are interested, please come join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1591928020896665/
~*Wandering the roads of life and love*~
*~I am of the roads of life. Let us see where they shall lead. If we like them not, we shall make our own paths~*

~*Bree*~

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Ah! I just found this. Sure, I'll join in. I don't know how often I'll "be there" but I'm good with giving it a whirl. 8)

Tari

Post by Tari » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:40 pm

I found the new site and tried to log in with no success. Should I create a new account?

Linaewen
Site Admin

Post by Linaewen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:56 am

Tari wrote:I found the new site and tried to log in with no success. Should I create a new account?
If you set up a Dreamwidth account, you can then request access to the lotrfellowship group and I'll approve it!
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

Tari

Post by Tari » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:54 pm

I now have and account which I will only use to read stories. Will I be able to find the stories from this site after you approve me?

Thanks Lin

Linaewen
Site Admin

Post by Linaewen » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi, Tari. Sorry for the delayed reply. In answer to your question about the Dreamwidth site, there is no access to the stories on this site over on the DW site. The only stories at DW would be ones that people post new there, but there hasn't been that much going on at that site, so I don't expect any new stories.

However, I do want you to know that this site is continuing now after all. We have recently paid up the fees to keep the site going, and we are going to try to be more active here. There are still a few quirks with the site that make it not work properly at times, but for the most part we can keep doing what we used have fun doing here. Hopefully there will be story posting going on as well!

Hope you'll come back and join in the fun!
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor