Beren & Luthien book release

On-topic discussion of Tolkien's works and world.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Strange Elf

Beren & Luthien book release

Post by Strange Elf » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:14 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-40109396

For those of you still using the old forum, check this out.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

daisy gold

Re: Beren & Luthien book release

Post by daisy gold » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:14 am

I'm still here, Strange Elf. :hi:

Thanks for posting this. It is a book which is on my list to buy soon.
The tale of Beren and Lúthien is one of the loveliest legends of Middle-earth.
It will be interesting to see what Christopher says about it, especially as it was so close to his father's heart.
And to have the beautiful illustrations of Alan Lee is a great bonus too as I love his artwork.
I know as I read the book I shall remember seeing the names , 'Beren and Luthien ' on the Tolkien gravestone. A very special memory I hold dear. It will add an extra a layer of poignancy to the story as I read it.

If I may plug another book.
I have just bought 'The Proverbs of Middle-earth' which I shall take with me to Dublin next week. It sounds quite intriguing. There are many proverbs sprinkled throughout his books and it seems many he made up himself. I want to know more about these. Reviews say it is an interesting and easy book to read and full of interest to Tolkien fans. One which remains in my head is "Not all those who wander are lost".

Daisy
He beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:11 pm

I must look into your new book.

Let me know what you think of it, when you are finished reading.

Enjoy Dublin.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

daisy gold

The Proverbs of Middle-Earth, by David Rowe

Post by daisy gold » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:48 am

Sorry for the lateness of my reply Strange Elf ....this summer has been quite busy.
Well here it is.....

I am really pleased I bought this book. It has deepened my knowledge of Middle-earth, its characters and cultures and is so full of insights and interesting nuggets of lore. It is wonderful how ingenious Tolkien was in creating his books. Each proverb or saying (many he made himself) is so well matched to the characters and cultures they come from. Just another reason why Middle-earth seems so real for me.

I found Rowe’s book easy to read and engrossing and one I shall dip in and out of many times, especially now as I am re-reading ‘The Lord of the Rings’. Isn’t it lovely that no matter how many times you read LotR there is something new to be discovered?

Daisy Gold
:P
He beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Thank you for the review.

I too have been busy, moving house. My oh my! What allot of 'stuff' my husband and I have collected over our 33 years together. We had a good old sort-out.

I think I will have to go to Amazon and look for this book of yours. It sounds terribly intriguing.

So happy to see you here. Happy to see anyone here. I can't get on the other site, because I've misplaced my password.

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Oh look! My lovely Legolas eyes have gone.

I no longer have the same email address and can't update my profile, so I will have to stay Legolasless.

:(

Tari

Post by Tari » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:17 am

Oh, dear. I guess I'll have to add this to my collection.