Moved Topic -- A Game of Thrones.

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

DoctorGamgee

Re: Pondering

Post by DoctorGamgee » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:57 pm

On a different note: one of the interesting things I saw this time through was the vision Catelyn had of herself in Renly's shield (floating in green water). Rather prophetic, no?

Also, Petyr seems to be the one who got the poison to the wedding, and was in cahoots with the Queen of Thorns, as he was not present at the wedding, but was able to say that "surely someone said your hairnet was coming undone" which unless planned in advance (along with the magic hairnet via Borors) would be a real dice throw.

Littlefinger is bloody brilliant, cunning, sneaky, and able to get what he wants with little touching him. The fact that Petyr and Lysa were the ones to poison Arryn, is curious, though well explained by them between the two of them.

But then, anything is possible in the Game...
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:26 pm

yaralindi wrote:The one reason I think Syrio is still alive is that Martin is never shy about describing in gruesome details how our favorite characters are killed. If Syrio were truly dead, why would Martin pass up the chance to describe how that guard dispatched him or how he was tortured in a black cell?
Well, you certainly have a point there. And you're right... we don't know for certain that he's dead. With Martin, you can't be sure of that until he says so, bluntly, and even then it may not be entirely true. Just ask Beric Dondarrion.

I would be glad to find that Syrio made it out alive. But then, I'm also harboring a secret wish that the Hound survived.

yaralindi wrote:I still think Varys knew Arya left in that caravan.
I wouldn't put it beyond the scope of possibility, that's for sure. And he wouldn't have any reason to give her up to the Lannisters unless he thought it would "help the realm", which isn't likely. But he's got more up his sleeve than an arm, that's for sure... so that leaves me wondering what hopes/plans he has for Arya, if he did see her go. Varys has his own motivations, so whatever those hopes/plans, I don't think they're necessarily the same as whatever the Braavosi have in mind.
yaralindi wrote:I am almost certain we will see Jaqen again, though what he will look like may not be what we expect. That is also something Martin is good at - giving us what we want, just not the way we expected it.
That nail, you hit it right on the head!
DoctorGamgee wrote:Perhaps he was a Faceless Man/Assassin. However, while he certainly could kill, I'm not sure that is his original purpose. I was thinking that he was the one who brought the poison that killed Jon Arrys -- it was rare and came from overseas.
That's an intriguing thought. I hadn't considered that he might have a purpose beyond killing... directly, that is.
DoctorGamgee wrote:On a different note: one of the interesting things I saw this time through was the vision Catelyn had of herself in Renly's shield (floating in green water). Rather prophetic, no?
I've just passed that part in my reading, and yes, I noticed it, too, this time. Without anything to connect it to, the first time, the image didn't have such a strong impact. (I think a good story is always worth reading at least twice, because I'm sure to pick up on details I missed the first time around.)

I'm going to wait before commenting on the death of Joffrey... I don't trust my recollection of events as they played out in the book, so I'll come back to that after I've read through it again.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Purveyor of ancient songs

frodosmiss

Post by frodosmiss » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:01 pm

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay:
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:04 am

My hubby has shown no interest in GoT for 4 seasons. Then last month he started watching the episodes (I kept them on DVR), and now he's caught up on the whole series and waiting with me for Season 5. :grin:
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:41 pm

Now if we could just get the last books before the last seasons of the show.....
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:47 pm

AnnaEstel wrote:Now if we could just get the last books before the last seasons of the show.....
Well, on his blog he says he's skipping Comic Con this year to work on it, unless he finishes it by then. We've heard hints like this from him before that seem to say he's almost done but one can always hope.

I'm not too concerned about this book coming out before the TV series catches up, but what about the last book? It has been over 4 years since Book 5 came out. If Book 7 takes as long or longer, it won't be released until after 2020. Martin has also said he still has a lot of material to get into the last two books so maybe Book 6 will end up actually being Books 6 and 7. Even with that, however, I doubt HBO could stretch the TV series until after 2020 to give him a chance to finish, either in an 8th book or an 8th and 9th book. This thing is sounding more and more like Wheel of Time every day.

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:13 pm

yaralindi wrote:
AnnaEstel wrote:Now if we could just get the last books before the last seasons of the show.....
Well, on his blog he says he's skipping Comic Con this year to work on it, unless he finishes it by then. We've heard hints like this from him before that seem to say he's almost done but one can always hope.

I'm not too concerned about this book coming out before the TV series catches up, but what about the last book? It has been over 4 years since Book 5 came out. If Book 7 takes as long or longer, it won't be released until after 2020. Martin has also said he still has a lot of material to get into the last two books so maybe Book 6 will end up actually being Books 6 and 7. Even with that, however, I doubt HBO could stretch the TV series until after 2020 to give him a chance to finish, either in an 8th book or an 8th and 9th book. This thing is sounding more and more like Wheel of Time every day.
Well, you just had to go and say it, didn't you? There goes another Stark... :roll:
He'll be down to killing off Karstarks every time somebody complains, by the time he actually finishes. Oops... there goes another one.
:P

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:00 pm

I think he's moved on bumping off Tyrell's now. It's a larger house and with quite a number of nice people for fans to like.

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:43 pm

One season to go, in April! We are seriously gonna get HBO the week before and cancel it again as soon as it's done. Anyone else manage to stick it this long?
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

Linaewen
Site Admin

Post by Linaewen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:21 pm

I must admit I have not seen any of the episodes. When it first came out, I was going to watch it for Sean Bean, but then my son (who has read the books) told me his fate, so I changed my mind. :oops:
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:43 pm

Yep. And that is why when I found out that my XBOX 360 would no longer show HBONOW, I re-upped the cable for the series, so I can watch what is to come (as books may never arrive...sigh).
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!