Just the Highlights, Fellowship Festival 2005

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Mathom

Just the Highlights, Fellowship Festival 2005

Post by Mathom » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:14 am

The Fellowship Festival 2005 was awesome! My most sincere thanks to Indis for encouraging me to attend. It would take a day to write everything that happened so I'm only listing my highlights!

*When I told Alan Lee my guess to the riddle in his new book, he said I got it right and then asked me not to tell anyone else. He autographed my book and wrote "good answer"! (no, I won't tell you the answer - I promised!) :silenced:

*Having dinner :yum: on Sat. with Shane Rangi and discovering how sweet and humble he is :angel: , despite how big he is and how scary he can look!

*On Sun. having dinner and chatting with Tania Rodger :love: and Richard Taylor, :bow: two of the nicest, most down-to-earth people in the world, as well as the most talented! :tea:

*Meeting and getting autographs from 20 actors and artists :yay: who entertained us, made us laugh, taught us, and surprised us all weekend! :lol: :clap: :rofl: :clap: :yay: :clap:

*Having Craig Parker :heart: approach my husband and me just to chat!

*Winning a Weta cap from Richard and Tania :D for asking a good question. Later I got it autographed by them and by Daniel Falconer (he's very cute). :wink:

*Talking to Thomas Robins :love: about his poem and then receiving an autographed copy of it from him the next day!

*Talking to Billy Boyd and giving him a small birthday gift. :birthday: Getting to watch him blow out the candles and getting to eat a piece of his cake. :cake:

*Being in the right place to get photos of Shane, Mana Hira, Jed, Thomas, Bruce, and a few other hunks when they took off their shirts :shock: :faint: to do a Maori dance for us at the dinner on Sunday.

*Getting an unsolicited kiss :blush: from The King of the Dead, Paul Norrell.

*Asking John Howe to autograph my copy of his book. Without a word he sketched a large picture of Gandalf in it before signing. :shock: (I had tears in my eyes and couldn't speak!):goofy:

*Winning 3rd place in the costume contest :thumb: for my Radagast the Brown costume (my most excellent husband :heart: modeled it for me).

*Having Alan Lee see the costume I made and ask to take a photo with his own camera! :sing: He posed my husband and me for the photo.

*Last but not least, spending so much fun time with Indis and Elentari who are such wonderful friends! :heart: :friends: :heart:

FredO
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (looks like Minas Tirith on a good day)

Re: Just the Highlights, Fellowship Festival 2005

Post by FredO » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:32 am

Mathom wrote:*Last but not least, spending so much fun time with Indis and Elentari who are such wonderful friends! :heart: :friends: :heart:
(((Mathom))) so wish I could have been there with all of you. What a great time you had. Indis & Elentari are such sweethearts. I’m so glad you got to spend time with them. What a fantastic weekend you had!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Real Ringers Read The Book
:wink:

hobbitgirly

Post by hobbitgirly » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:37 am

Owww sharing a secret with Alan lee :think: heheh.
Great to hear you had such a great time, I did too, loved reading your experience on the feats, sounds really fun.
Richard and Tania really were the most down to earth people, and he did such a great job on making up the orcs live :o :bow: :clap:
(':music:')Lord of the rings

Suddenly I see......

Gavanna

Incredible! txt

Post by Gavanna » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:15 am

Great report. Sounds like you had an incredible, amazing, awesome time!! I am sooo jealous!

I see that TORN picked up your message about the poem by Thomas Robins. Cool!

Thank you so much for sharing!

sarahstitcher

Post by sarahstitcher » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:07 pm

wow, such cool stuff!! :D I hope I can *find* Alan Lee's and John Howe's books in a store, let alone have them sketched in! :shock:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.

Tiger-lily

Post by Tiger-lily » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:39 am

You have to be the luckiest person ever.... :wings: :wings: :wings:
"T'was in the darkest depths of Mordor I met a girl so fair. But Gollum, and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her,her,her.....yeah!" :twisted:

Mathom

Post by Mathom » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:37 am

I hope I can *find* Alan Lee's and John Howe's books in a store, let alone have them sketched in!
Sarahstitcher,

You can get Alan Lee and John Howe's books at Amazon.com cheaper than if you go to a store. Alan Lee has a new LOTR sketchbook out which is affordable and interesting to read (that's the one with the riddle). He also has illustrated The Lord of the Rings, which is expensive but cheaper on Amazon. John Howe has several books out too. I got my copy of Myth and Magic signed.

If you had seen the costume I made you would have been proud of me. I don't have a sewing machine here in the UK so I sewed the whole costume by hand. I made a long sleeved full length tunic of brown linen and a hooded, long sleeved cape from burlap which I dyed brown. I used a recycled curtain tie-back for the belt. I didn't know what to do about the staff but then one night there was a storm and the next day a perfect "staff" was lying on the ground under my favorite tree in the meadow near my apartment. I had to carry it a mile home though. I cut off one end, sanded the rough parts, and decorated it with moss and little birds and a butterfly. Of course it helped that my husband, who modeled the costume, is 6 feet tall and has the face of a wizard, especially when we added the wig and beard! :lol:

Thanks, FredO, Gavanna, and Entswife. I do feel very lucky. Of course it helps to be old and retired and have my children all grown up. Now I can act like a kid again myself!!! :lala:

sarahstitcher

Post by sarahstitcher » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:57 pm

sounds like an awesome costume, can we see a picture of it? :D

Mathom

Post by Mathom » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:47 pm

sarahstitcher wrote:sounds like an awesome costume, can we see a picture of it? :D
Well, I'm not good at this, but I'll try.

http://static.flickr.com/28/37161157_d5344b98dc_o.jpg

If you click on the little square box with arrows in it the picture will get bigger and you can see the little birds - there's one on his shoulder and one on his staff. There's a butterfly on the staff too. He also has some herbs tied to his belt but you can't see them in the photo. There's some braid-like detail at the top of his cape but it's under the beard. And there are swan and goose feathers where his hair is tied at the back of his head.

sarahstitcher

Post by sarahstitcher » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:52 am

wow, that is truly a great costume! the birds and butterflies are a great touch!

hobbitgirly

Post by hobbitgirly » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:18 am

That is indeed a beautiful costume :o
Looks great!!! :bow: :clap:
(':music:')Lord of the rings

Suddenly I see......

Primula

Post by Primula » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:08 am

I agree - the butterflies and birds are the perfect touch. It looks great on him. :clap: