Fanclub ORC Moot... Poll and Plans completed...

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

ORC Moot... Where shall we eat?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:42 pm

Sheraton
78%
Shakers
22%

Total votes: 9

Lithilien Quicksilver

Fanclub ORC Moot... Poll and Plans completed...

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:37 pm

With just a month to go, it is time to plan our moot for those of us attending ORC. Since we already know the days the main celebs are appearing this should make it much easier than it was last year... no major polls to decide which day, etc. At least imho.

So... if there is no particular disagreement, I propose that we follow the same basic format as last year. That would mean a 2nd Breakfast moot around 9:30 - 10:00 am on Friday January 20th. The con doesn't open on Friday until 1 pm so that should give us plenty of time.

Last year we mooted at the Sheraton, in a separate but adjacent room off the dining room. The food was good, if a bit pricey, but with our large group we got a bit of a break. I have a feeling our group will be considerably smaller this year, so either we will not need to reserve a room, or we could consider mooting elsewhere. The Sheraton was very convenient, however.

So... two orders of business for this thread:

1 - please post if you are planning to attend our moot, and

2 - discuss whether we should keep the moot at the Sheraton, or go elsewhere this year.

The floor is now open... don't fall in. :wink:

Attendees...

Periannath
jan-u-wine
Primula (jan-u-wine's friend, not our Prim)
sevilodorf
ErinRua
Celandine Haleth
lordbg
Niniel
RingFanOne
Chris
Lalaith
Bekahwa
Ringsgirl
Ringsgirl's daughter
Frodes
LivingforLij
iluvlegolas
Truss
Simpetarwen
Calafalas
Meneloth
Bregalad
Tiger-Lily
Moi, Lith :thatsmile:

Edit 12/31/05: You will note I have also now posted a poll to decide where we moot. Please vote for either the Sheraton or Shakers. We only have three weeks to go, and I will be in Cali in just over two weeks, so I suppose it's time to decide.

After all, all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us to eat. :yum:

Edit 1/14/06: The Sheraton is the winner of the poll, and I do believe we will have a wonderful moot there again as we did last year. Plus, I promise we will get to interact more, as we have a smaller group and I have a bit of a plan to get folks quite mixed up (in a good way) :wink: .

I have spoken with the Sheraton and we are all set. As far as I know, folk will be able to order as they please, and we will all be responsible for paying for our own breakfast. Still, it might be a good idea to have some cash along, in case we are asked to pay via one person as we did last year.

Sorry, no door prizes, unless someone feels inclined to provide them, and has room (unlike myself) to carry them, lol. But we shall have a lovely time, nonetheless.

Can't wait to see all of you! And remember, that's 9:30am Friday the 20th, at the Sheraton dining room. :thatsmile:
Last edited by Lithilien Quicksilver on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.
White shores are calling... You and I will meet again.

sevilodorf

Re: Fanclub ORC Moot...

Post by sevilodorf » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:20 am

I would like to attend and bring my frind ErinRua.

The Sheraton as you said is convenient, especially as many people stay there, though a bit pricey (but that's LA for you).

However any locale within walking distance of the convention center is good.

(How's that for an elvish response?)
The most unusual inn in Ithilien

The Burping Troll

http://burpingtroll.com/index.asp

Lordbg

Post by Lordbg » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:38 pm

I shall attend by myself, again..... ;)

Niniel

Post by Niniel » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:34 am

I'll be there. I liked the Sheraton for convenience, but I'll go for somewhere else that's close.
I am no man.

RingFanOne

Post by RingFanOne » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:52 pm

Lith,
My nephew Chris and I will be attending and would love to attend the moot. The Sheraton was a good location, and the "breakfast bar" gave us some choices.
(Bet you're glad Lij is returning!)

RFO
The road goes ever on and on. . ..

lalaith

Post by lalaith » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:33 am

Bekahwa and I will be attending...I know shakers (on the same food level as Denny's) is close by if we decide the Sheraton is a bit too pricey for us. I find that I can only eat the protein, potatoes and fruit portion anyway...darn wheat allergy...(and usually only one plate at that!) But, I am happy to go anywhere my dear boardmembers go. =) :grin:

Love,

Lalaith

Lithilien Quicksilver

Shakers could be an option....

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:28 pm

What is the location in terms of being close to the convention site? Lower price sounds great, but I will need to watch the walking a bit still, I imagine.

Maybe someone who knows where this Shakers is can come up with a menu?

Niniel

Re: Shakers could be an option....

Post by Niniel » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:29 pm

This isn't a menu but some reviews I pulled up off the intenet:

Shaker's Restaurant
240 S. Arroyo Parkway
Pasadena, CA
626-449-4499
This is such a darling little place! It has an old school charm, I always go for breakfast before class at PCC, it's delish! It's no place to take a date but if you want to relax with a few friends and chat, this is the place to be!
by: Anonymous

It is in the cutest location ever.It is small,and delicious.They have kids menu and the chocolate cake is so awesome.Thank you reader!
by: model

I have had breakfast, lunch, and dinner there and have NEVER been disappointed. Good food, good prices, good atmosphere, nice meal servers, and all around good place for an informal meal. My boyfriend and I love this place - especially breakfast !!
by: julie

Shaker's is another Pasadena institution. When most other places are locking their doors, Shakers is still open. It's just a diner, really, a couple of notches above Denny's. But they earn a few stars in my book for some of their specialties. Late at night, try a turkey swiss melt or the quiche. The shakes are made with real ice cream. The carrot cake is fantastic, but the chocolate cake is disappointing. The soups are creative and original, and they always have a savory and satisfying veggie beef soup. Breakfast is their biggest business, though. Try the Eggs Incognito or their fantastic French Toast made with hawaiian egg bread (don't forget the side of sausage). Be prepared to wait for a table on weekend mornings - it's always super busy.
by: Rick
I am no man.

Ringsgirl

Post by Ringsgirl » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:16 pm

I am interested in attending, along with my daughter. This will be our 1st ORC but we did go to ELF in Orlando. I am open as far as the location goes.

Lithilien Quicksilver

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:03 pm

Ringsgirl wrote:I am interested in attending, along with my daughter. This will be our 1st ORC but we did go to ELF in Orlando. I am open as far as the location goes.
And we didn't meet? What a shame! Well, just stay tuned to this thread for all the details. It looks to be a much smaller moot than last year at ORC, or perhaps even than ELF, but we shall enjoy one another's company, nonetheless.
:thatsmile:

Lithilien Quicksilver

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:32 pm

It is quite close... only .3 mile from the Sheraton. If my foot is up to it (and it better be by then!) it shouldn't be an issue to walk it. My only concern is if it is very busy and we have several people, we might not all get to sit together. Right now I know of 14 people who have expressed interest in attending, based upon this thread and a few folk who have not posted here. I'll edit my first post to list those who plan to attend.

lalaith

Post by lalaith » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:00 pm

There's also this restauraunt:

http://www.10best.com/Los_Angeles/Resta ... ssID=13840

It's a 2 min drive from the hotel and I will have my car and would be happy to be the Shuttle Express. =)

They also take group reservations...

=)

Love,

Lalaith

RingFanOne

Re: Fanclub ORC Moot... Poll added!!!

Post by RingFanOne » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:06 am

Lith,
One other thought. . .
Last year, Chris and I (as well as others who came in after us) had to sit at 2-person tables during the moot. While we were still able to walk around and meet others, it would have been nice if all the tables had been large enough to accommodate 6-8 guests. This might not be possible, but it's a suggestion.

Thanks!
RFO
The road goes ever on and on. . ..

Lithilien Quicksilver

Re: Fanclub ORC Moot... Poll added!!!

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:04 am

I'm going to talk to the Sheraton (as it looks obvious that is the place most favored) and see if they can pull tables together for us. Since we are a much smaller group than last year, that should be easier to do. I think it likely we could get two tables of eight, which would be small enough to be conducive to conversation, yet large enough for effective mooting. One big table might not work as well, and perhaps we can arrange a little organized seat swapping after everyone finishes eating to insure all get the chance to talk to everyone else. How's that sound? :)

Lithilien Quicksilver

New topic for Fanclub ORC Moot... Badges! RSVP...

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:23 am

Since most of this year's attendees also came to ORC last year, this requires no explanation. But for our newbies... I will provide name badges for the moot, also suitable to wear during the rest of the con if you so choose, identifying you to your fellow fanclub friends. The badges include your first RW name, your board handle, and an avatar of your choice.

I need to know from everyone coming just what they want on their badge for this year. Please respond below this post giving me your information, like this:

RW name - Lynne
handle - Lithilien Quicksilver
avatar - my board avatar, please
(or you can post a link to a pic you want and I will try to resize it, or just tell me something like Frodo, an Ent, Gil-galad, etc. I aim to please. 8) )

If you are bringing someone with you, please provide their information as well.

Those of you who attended ORC or ELF moots, if I still have your badge format saved from then, I will go ahead and create a new one based on that info. If you want anything changed, tell me here and I'll try to do it.

Do please respond quickly, as I won't have a lot of time to work on these before I fly out on the 16th.