Search his work

It's Tolkien's world, we just play with it.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Strange Elf

Search his work

Post by Strange Elf » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:59 pm

I stole this idea from Yaviel of Lorien on the 'other' boards (I do so hope she finds her way here) and with a bit of revision, hope it takes off here.

The idea is to ask a question from LOTR and the next person has to find the answer in the books and quote the passage.

Here is one from Yaviel's thread:

(Question) 'It is hot in here,' said Legolas to Gandalf. Where was Legolas talking about?

(answer) The 'forest' of Huorns at the foot of the road leading from Helm's Deep. 'It is hot in here,' said Legolas to Gandalf. 'I feel a great wrath about me. Do you not feel the air throb in your ears?'

The Road to Isengard--TTT

I will start off.

What was Frodo's answer when Gildor said 'Do not meddle in the affairs od Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger...?
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Ashlyn

Re: Search his work

Post by Ashlyn » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:56 pm

'And it is also said,' answered Frodo: 'Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.'

Three Is Company - FOTR

What does a punch from an Ent-fist do?
He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat.

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:22 pm

A punch from an Ent-fist crumples up iron like thin tin.

TTT Chpt 9 Flotsam and Jetsam

Why did Frodo answer 'Not yet...I am going home now to put my notes in order.'
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:32 pm

I'm going to have to give up on this one tonight. But I did get to read the last few chapters of ROTK in my search. Funny how I can still cry at the end.

So come on folks, solve this one by the time I get up in the morning, becasue I'm having trouble finding it :D .
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Ashlyn

Post by Ashlyn » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:43 pm

Strange Elf wrote:So come on folks, solve this one by the time I get up in the morning, becasue I'm having trouble finding it :D .
If I must!

"The travellers stayed in Bree all the next day, and Mr. Butterbur could not complain of his business next evening at any rate. Curiosity overcame all fears, and his house was crowded. For a while out of politeness the hobbits visited the Common Room in the evening and answered a good many questions. Bree memories being retentive, Frodo was asked many times if he had written his book."

Homeward Bound - ROTK

What was Gandalf talking about when he said: 'Because they are real horses;...'?
He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat.

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:38 pm

The Black Rider's horses. (Knew this one without looking it up. :big grin: )

'I know,' said Frodo. 'They were terrible to behold! But why could we all see their horses?'

'Because they are real horses; just as the black robes are real robes...'

FOTR Many Meetings

Who said 'But perhaps I should not inquire too closely'?
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:43 pm

Time for a clue, I think :huh: .

Ashlyn

Post by Ashlyn » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:12 pm

Got it! ... ... ... Glóin

"You have had some very strange adventures, I hear," said Glóin. "I wonder greatly what brings four hobbits on so long a journey. Nothing like it has happened since Bilbo came with us. But perhaps I should not inquire too closely, since Elrond and Gandalf do not seem disposed to talk of this?"

Many Meetings - FOTR

Who said 'Better wait till morning and more light' and who was it said to?

agape4rivendell

Post by agape4rivendell » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:12 pm

Sam! It was Sam!

TTT - BOOK IV - Chapter 1: The Taming of Sméagol
Oh dear oh dear - they were stuck on those horrible mountains trying to find their way down into Mordor. And Frodo, dearest Frodo, was getting sooo frustrated, afraid and tired.

Who said "malice eats it like a canker, and the evil is growing" and who all was involved?

Agape

PS - Strange Elf - this is fun - thanks for starting it!
'There will be only one Steward in Gondor, so long as I am King. I will have you as my Steward, or I will have none." PlasticChevy - The Captain and the King

Durin_the_Deathless

Post by Durin_the_Deathless » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:56 am

I think Faramir said it, but i'll have to get back to you.
The shadow lies upon his tomb,
in Moria, in Khazad-dûm.
But still the sunken starrs appear,
in dark and windless mirrormere.
There lies his crown in water deep,
till Durin wakes again from sleep.

Durin_the_Deathless

alright, I can't find it. nt

Post by Durin_the_Deathless » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:22 am

:???:
The shadow lies upon his tomb,
in Moria, in Khazad-dûm.
But still the sunken starrs appear,
in dark and windless mirrormere.
There lies his crown in water deep,
till Durin wakes again from sleep.

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:48 pm

agape4rivendell wrote:Who said "malice eats it like a canker, and the evil is growing" and who all was involved?
You were right, Durin the deathless, it is Faramir.

'Frodo, I think you do very unwisely in this,' said Faramir. 'I do not think you should go with this creature. It is wicked.'
'No, not altogether wicked.' said Frodo.
'Not wholly, perhaps,' said Faramir; 'but malice eats it like a canker, and the evil is growing. he will lead you to no good. If you part with him I will give him safe-conduct and guidance to any point on the borders of Gondor that he may name.
(The Forbidden Pool/TTT)

'Northward the dale ran up into a glen of shadows between two great arms of the mountains, above which peaks were shining:....

What were the names of those peaks?

Laiquendi

Post by Laiquendi » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:12 am

Strange Elf wrote:'Northward the dale ran up into a glen of shadows between two great arms of the mountains, above which peaks were shining:....

What were the names of those peaks?
Celebdil, Fanuidhol and Caradhras (FOTR, Book II, Chapter VI Lothlórien)

"...Smoking like a dry branch that has been thrust in a fire; and as he watched it, it writhed and withered and was consumed."

What was Merry describing?
Don't blame me for the size of my ego, it's just proportionate to the size of my genius! :grin:

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:25 am

Seeing this is my baby :D I think we need to narrow the options down a bit. It is great to be able to search Tolkiens works if we have all the time in the world, but most, if not all of us, do not.

When we put in our question let's just go ahead and put down what book to look in, ie.TTT or FOTR etc. or at least a name of a character (as Laiquendi has done above), that way it will make the game go quicker and not turn away folks who don't have the time to puruse all 1008 pages of this great and marvelous book.

Thanks. SE

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:27 pm

Laiquendi wrote:"...Smoking like a dry branch that has been thrust in a fire; and as he watched it, it writhed and withered and was consumed."

What was Merry describing?
And still Meriadoc the hobbit stood there blinking through his tears, and no on spoke to him, indeed none seemed to heed him. He brushed away the tears, and stooped to pick up the green sheild that Eowyn had given him, and he slung it at his back. Then he looked for his sword that he had let fall; for even as he struck his blow his arm was numbed, and now he could only use his left hand. And behold! there lay his weapon, but the blade was smoking like a dry branch that has been thrust in a fire; and as he watched it, it writed and withered and was consumed.(The Battle of the Pelennor Fields/ROTK)

Who called Frodo ......my little cock-a-whoop?