Huge con in Nashville, TN -- Includes LOTR Symphony

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

IVotedForMayorGamgee

Huge con in Nashville, TN -- Includes LOTR Symphony

Post by IVotedForMayorGamgee » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:19 pm

It is my pleasure to announce "'Past Watchful Dragons': Fantasy and Faith in the World of C.S. Lewis," an international conference to be held at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee on November 3-5, 2005. Inspired by the forthcoming Walden Media/Disney film of the classic Narnia story The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, "'Past Watchful Dragons': Fantasy and Faith in the World of C.S. Lewis" will celebrate C.S. Lewis's contribution to literature, theology, apologetics, scholarship, popular culture, myth, and imagination.

This exciting event will feature Douglas Gresham (stepson of C.S. Lewis and Consultant to the film); Christopher Mitchell (Director of the Marion E. Wade Center and Assistant Professor of Theology, Wheaton College); Bruce Edwards (Noted Lewis Scholar, Associate Dean, and Professor of English at Bowling Green State University); David Payne (British actor and President of Rising Image Productions, specializing in dramatizations of the works of C.S. Lewis); Glass Hammer (literary progressive rock band performing original music based on the writings of C.S. Lewis, with special guests Salem Hill), The Nashville Symphony (performing Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings Symphony with the Nashville Symphony Chorus), and over forty C.S. Lewis scholars from across the United States, Canada, and Europe (who will be presenting their research, including a track of Tolkien scholarship).

Belmont University invites scholars, students, church and community members to attend this exciting event. "Past Watchful Dragons" will also consider the work of the constellation of writers associated with Lewis such as J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, Owen Barfield, and Dorothy Sayers.

Please visit http://www.belmont.edu/cslewis for more information and registration/ticketing options. (Please note that seating for the banquet with Doug Gresham is extremely limited, and access will be available only as long as space remains. A note will be posted online when these seats are sold out. All tickets/registrations must be purchased by October 1.) A detailed schedule will be available shortly. Contact me at sturgisa@mail.belmont.edu if you should have any questions.

Many thanks!
"I give you this toast: To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees."
-J.R.R. Tolkien, from a 1958 speech

Primula

Re: Huge con in Nashville, TN...

Post by Primula » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:39 pm

Are you going to be speaking or otherwise a part of the program?

So good to see you here with us!

IVotedForMayorGamgee

Post by IVotedForMayorGamgee » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanks so much! I am really excited about these new boards.

I'm directing the conference, actually, so during the event I'll be the one running around the whole time, looking a bit berserk. :-)
"I give you this toast: To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees."

Primula

Post by Primula » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:14 pm

Wow, directing it! :shock: That's a big job - I wish you well!

Be sure to stock up on good running shoes and find a nice hobbit to rub your sore feet when you're done.

Lithilien Quicksilver

Re: Huge con in Nashville, TN -- Includes LOTR Symphony

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:38 pm

November, eh... It does sound intriguing... I shall have to check my schedule. :wink:
White shores are calling... You and I will meet again.

IVotedForMayorGamgee

Post by IVotedForMayorGamgee » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:34 pm

Primula wrote:Wow, directing it! :shock: That's a big job - I wish you well!
Thanks so much! *hugs*

IVotedForMayorGamgee

Re: Huge con in Nashville, TN -- Includes LOTR Symphony

Post by IVotedForMayorGamgee » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:35 pm

Lithilien Quicksilver wrote:November, eh... It does sound intriguing... I shall have to check my schedule. :wink:
Oooh, we would love to have you join us!

By the way, the schedule for the daily events is now up (as of today!) at http://www.belmont.edu/cslewis under "Schedule." Just FYI! And I'm not at liberty to say too much at the moment, but I can say there is more yet to come! :P