Lynn Redgrave

Discuss your other favorite personalities.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

yaralindi

Lynn Redgrave

Post by yaralindi » Mon May 03, 2010 5:54 pm

I was saddened to learn of the passing of Lynn Redgrave today following her battle with cancer. She was 67. I first met Lynn at a writer's award ceremony in Hollywood almost 15 years ago. She was the honored guest and she had many encouraging words for all of us who were trying to break into the business. Her very first question, of course, was, "For God's sake, why?"

We all laughed at that and fully understood her meaning. Writers are perhaps the least appreciated part of Hollywood. Like writers, I believe Lynn's tremendous talent was eclipsed by her sister, Vanessa. For some reason the critics liked Vanessa much better than Lynn. I could never understand why.

We met several more times over the years; always at Hollywood functions. She was always ready with a smile and words of encouragement. She took time to really talk to me and others after the awards, seminars, or dramatic readings. Her smile was infectious. She was always gracious. I shall miss her very much.

So long, Lynn. Thank you so much for the wonderful memories and the advice over the years. You were truly one of a kind.
Purveyor of ancient songs

frodosmiss

Lynn Redgrave

Post by frodosmiss » Mon May 03, 2010 8:18 pm

Lynn Redgrave was so much less controversial than her sister, which is likely why Vanessa garnered the lion's share of the attention. Lynn did what she did best- act and live with quiet grace and talent. Sounds like she was a good hearted person as well, which is not always easy to come by in Hollywood circles. Thank you for the personal insight, Yar~
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Ringwraith-Wife

Re: Lynn Redgrave

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Tue May 04, 2010 2:05 pm

frodosmiss wrote:Lynn did what she did best- act and live with quiet grace and talent. Sounds like she was a good hearted person as well, which is not always easy to come by in Hollywood circles. Thank you for the personal insight, Yar~
I, too, was sorry to hear of her passing, although I didn't hear it until today. It was so soon after her brother, Corin's death, as well. The Redgrave family has given us many fine moments on the stage and screen, it 's very nice to hear about her personally. She always seemed like a nice person, in the best sense. Thanks, Yaralindi.

DoctorGamgee

Re: Lynn Redgrave

Post by DoctorGamgee » Tue May 04, 2010 4:28 pm

I never met her, but enjoyed her work. And you are right, that smile was infectious, even on screen.

Rest in Peace.

Dr.G
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!