Moved Topic -- A Game of Thrones.

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Varda

Moved Topic -- A Game of Thrones.

Post by Varda » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:40 pm

I have Sky tv and it has been advertising an upcoming fantasy series 'A Game of Thrones' very determinedly recently. It starts on Sky Atlantic on the 18th of April and stars Sean Bean, dressed to look just like Boromir.

As I am a subscriber I get the Sky magazine, usually a load of piffle about soaps and starlets but this month they have an interview with Sean Bean about this series. It sounds like what I can only cringingly call 'adult fantasy' with lots of you know what plus violence. But the interviewer asks some questions that get interesting replies from Sean.

About his character, Ned Stark Sean says;
'He is (a good guy) not used to dealing with cutthroats and backstabbers. Ned doesn't know who to trust. His downfall is his virtue - he's loyal and honourable.'

Sounds somehow familiar.

The interviewer asks Sean if he was daunted taking on a part from a book (by George RR Martin) which has 'an amazing variation of characters'. He replies;

'I suppose so - it's like playing Boromir in The Lord of The Rings. With any epic character you're only going to get a chance to do it once and whatever you create is kind of set in stone. So it's important to get it right!'

He is then asked; 'How does the series compare to The Lord of The Rings'? and replies;

'The Lord of The Rings had a beautiful, magical quality to it whereas Game of Thrones is much more brutal - it's certainly not for children. There's a lot of violence and quite disturbing scenes. There's definitely something that gives it an edge that you don't see very often in mythical tales.'

Asked if he was in any ahem 'romantic' scenes Sean replied;
'Not really! I give my wife a kiss now and then....I sound boring! Well I kill a lot of people..'

Then the interview moves on to Sean's future (he is playing - wait for it - Hansel and Gretal's father)

I am quite looking forward to the series, although fantasy films or books with a lot of what rhymes with hex plus violence are I find depressing. I think they miss the point that fantasy works best on what Sean calls the level of magic and beauty. It is the mistake the modern world makes, that realism and truth are the same thing. Tolkien knew better.

I do hope it is not like watching Boromir wandering about lost on the set of The Tudors

:shock:

Anyway, I thought you guys might like to hear what Sean said so I am passing this on :hi:

Dwarf watcher and now Sean watcher Varda

TolmanJr

Re: A Game of Seans

Post by TolmanJr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:22 pm

For those here in the US, HBO will be showing the series too, starting around the same time in April. Here is a link to their site with a list of videos about the series, (sorry for the long url):

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=CMrJ ... d%3DABC799

Thanks for the heads-up V, sadly I don't subscribe to HBO.
This day does not belong to one man but to all. Let us together rebuild this world,
That we may share in the days of peace.

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:19 pm

Have been hearing about this for a while and am looking forward to it. But Mr. Bean is right- it's not for kids. If you are expecting anything like LOTR you will be disappointed. I don't get HBO either but have someone recording this for me.
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:14 pm

Booksellers and such may put Game of Thrones (and its sequels) in the 'Fantasy' or 'Fantasy Noir' genre, but in reality it has much more in common with historical fiction of the Crusades era. Yes, there are dragons and there are wights, and some little magic. But the dragons are (as yet), merely a symbol of power that might be, and the wights are just the bogeyman or the monster under the bed, and in fact neither are spoken of, much. There are no elves or dwarves or unicorns or the like, and there is no overarching mythos such as one generally finds in Fantasy. More than that, there are no 'good guys' and 'bad guys', no White Knights on noble steeds. One should not call it fantasy... as shown in the interview, it leads to unfortunate comparisons with LOTR.

That said, I find the books quite intriguing. Yes, there is a brutality and grit that can be depressing. On the other hand, the "rhymes with hex" and violence are rarely gratuitous (at least in the books), but are usually used to reveal something about the characters. Also, some of the characters are quite deep. One in particular, I was originally disposed to see as a villain, and from the perspective of one family -his enemies - he most certainly is. But shown from a different viewpoint, he is a man of honor who shows kindness and empathy to those "beneath him". Another is a lord who is first shown as a man of honor and integrity, but who also has a child with his mistress and then brings the boy home to be raised by his wife, effectively rubbing her nose in his infidelity every day of her life. Not an uplifting tale at all, not fantasy at all in my book, but nevertheless interesting.

I started to say that I hope the HBO series doesn't mangle the story or the characters too badly, but then, they always do. To compare with LOTR, which is either the most awesome movie trilogy ever, or a horribly mangled mess bordering on sacrilege, depending on my mood when I watch it. :roll:
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Varda

Post by Varda » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:49 am

''a horribly mangled mess bordering on sacrilege, depending on my mood when I watch it.''

Oh dear DOK that must be a very black mood to see the trilogy as such a disaster :shock: I admit when I am watching it in what I would call a mood not tolerant of nonsense I wince at some of the changes. But only the ones that I don't feel worked. The ones that did work, like the Galadhrim at Helm's Deep I feel conveyed something of the depth and magic and history of Middle Earth ironically whilst departing from the letter of the text.

But even in my worst mood I remember that these films won a host of Oscars, so AS FILMS they have a high artistic merit. As adaptations maybe less so, but 60 million editions of the book sold after the films were released, so that might be some penance done.

In the end whatever we feel about how the books made it to the screen in the trilogy it was as films they have to be judged. Jackson set out his stall very clearly on this; he wanted to make a good film based on LOTR. Not a poorly filmed book. In this I think he succeeded and he always admitted he did some violence to the book. But to be fair to the man he also recognised that some of his changes, especially in the second film, he found ultimately were not a good idea. But others, like the changes to Aragorn and Boromir, made for great characters on screen, better in my mind than the ones in the book. (smelling salts, anyone?)

Tolkien was a great writer but Jackson is an artist in his own right always going to bring something to the table. He tried to respect his material and I do think he succeeded. Who else would have used so many Tolkien advisors, language experts and the artists known and loved by Tolkien fans for decades to produce a Middle Earth so familiar to fans and so magical to the people who had never read the book that they would go out and buy it to read for themselves?

A mess? no. A successful mixture of film and book, yes, to me, in a good mood on a good day

:wink:
Thanks DOK

Varda

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:09 am

Not a black mood, Varda, just one more in tune with the book. One that views Frodo morphed from an uncommon hobbit full of courage into one who constantly falls down and would send Sam away, and sees that change as irreparably damaging the character and changing the underlying story.

I do not argue that PJ did not make a good movie... on the contrary, I think he did an incredible job bringing Middle-earth to life. Also, I will not argue that myths and legends should not change as they are passed down to new generations... all tales will change some in the telling, if told long enough and by enough different people. But when I have the original source material in my hands, it is at times more difficult to accept another interpretation.

Returning to the matter at hand, Ned Stark is a man of honor and honesty who sees the world in very black and white terms. When his friend, Robert Baratheon, becomes king, Ned discovers that in politics, there is no black and white, that court intrigue is a game of which everyone but he knows the rules. He learns that everyone is playing the game to their own ends, and he no longer knows whom he can trust to deal honestly with him, including his long-time friend, but he does not waver in his own moral position. How easy it would be to turn that character into a man who is constantly falling down and would turn on his best friend and companion. How easy to make Robert Baratheon into a petty tyrant, instead of the deeply convoluted character that he is. How easy to ramp up the S & V and leave character development by the wayside.

HBO may make a brilliant series that stands on its own, that has its own beauty to offer... but if it twists the characters and the plot into something other than they are, if the S & V become gratuitous acts for the titillation of the audience, then I, in my own humble opinion, will occassionally view it as a mess as well.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

daisy gold

Post by daisy gold » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:39 pm

I hadn't heard of 'A Game of Thrones' until it was mentioned on our local news.
It is being shot in the Paint Hall studio here in Belfast, as well as various locations in Northern Ireland. My brother told me he had met a film crew up in the Mourne Mountains who told him they were looking for locations for a fantasy film. If you get a chance to see it let us know what you think of our Irish locations. I feel our countryside has a feel for fantasy. I hope the director can bring that out.
I don't have Sky tv so won't have a chance to see the series or Sean Bean :(
He beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Varda

Post by Varda » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks, DOK and you are right as I do remember how I fiercely resented the changes to Frodo in FOTR, and that totally daft passage where Frodo sends Sam away.

But now I am just not so sure....

Take our falling down Frodo. Yes I hated that. He falls flat on his back when beset by the Ringwraiths at Weathertop, despite the fact that in the book far from trying to crawl away he ATTACKS the lord of the Nine.

Then Jackson parachuted Arwen into the action to 'rescue' Frodo and take him to Rivendell despite the fact that in the book this is one of his most heroic actions, fleeing the Wraiths on Asfaloth then challenging them from the bank of the Bruinen. Remember the words?
'You will have neither the Ring nor me!' I hated the fact that line got cut.

But the strange thing is, within the parameters of the film, Frodo does not suffer much from these changes as a character. He doesn't come across as a wimp. His bravery is recognised by everyone from Bilbo to Elrond and the pathos of 'the wound he will bear for the rest of his days' is probably stronger because it was seen to put him completely out of action.

In Rivendell Frodo tells Sam he is ready to go home; he has taken a hammering and Jackson plays on the horror of the flight to the Ford and does not console us with the heroics of the book. In the book Frodo is brave at the start as at the end but maybe Jackson felt he needed to show some development, to show Frodo growing from a carefree hobbit who steps back from horror to a hero who accepts his role as Ringbearer even though he now has no illusions about just what it will entail.

In the book the Council is a very long talking shop in which Frodo offers to take the Ring quietly. In the film it is the climax to a stormy meeting and a turning point in the story. That is the difference between book and film. The book can take as long as it wants to build up layers of meaning and allow a hero to stay in character. But a film only has three hours at most and has to prune its source material ruthlessly and above all it must have pace. It must build to a moment of drama that will encapsulate the whole meaning of the story with such power the audience stop gnawing popcorn and get the message.

The banishment of Sam in the film made me wince too. Daft and unnecessary. But in the book there is a scene where Frodo turns viciously on Sam. Only it happens later, when Frodo is rescued by Sam from the orcs;

'No, no!' cried Frodo, snatching the Ring and chain from Sam's hands. 'No you won't you thief!'
He panted, staring at Sam with eyes wide with fear and enmity...Sam had changed before his very eyes into an orc again, leering and pawing at his treasure, a foul little creature with greedy eyes and slobbering mouth. But now the vision had passed. There was Sam kneeling before him, his face wrung with pain, as if he had been stabbed in the heart; tears welled from his eyes...
'Oh Sam! cried Frodo 'What have I said? what have I done? Forgive me!'

This is the essence of the scene we get in the film on the Stair. I don't know why Jackson puts it where he does but he keeps the spirit of the violent onslaught Frodo makes on Sam in Return of The King. And Gollum whispers to Frodo to make him see Sam as a nasty little thief, just as in the book Tolkien tells us Frodo sees him as a'foul little creature with greedy eyes'

So although at first I thought Jackson just made up that scene on the Stair, he didn't. He has based it on a later scene in the book. There Frodo does not actually send Sam away but perhaps Jackson needed to send Frodo into Shelob's lair alone to heighten the horror and terror. On film, two people walking through a labyrinth are not half as scary as one alone in the dark.

The scene where Sam rescues Frodo from the orcs and returns the Ring is in the film, but it is a scene of happy reunion, clouded just by Sam looking a bit dazed when he is asked for the Ring. There is not the intensity of the scene in the book. But once again there might have been issues of pace; it was not the place for a major falling out between the heroes, as the story is by now rushing to its conclusion.

The stairs incident too allowed Jackson to bring in something very important relating to the character of Sam. In the book, when he thinks his master is dead, killed by Shelob, Sam vows revenge on Gollum. He goes further and yields to a positive ecstasy of rage and hatred, vowing to search every corner of Middle Earth till he finds Gollum and kills him. The film gives us this vision of Sam when we see him reach the bottom of the stairs and find the lembas that Gollum threw off the cliff. Oh boy is Sam mad. It is the very rage that Tolkien shows us in the book in the later scene.

DOK I understand that these changes really annoyed you, as you are a book Tolkien fan. They annoyed me a lot too, at first.

But I am a book and film Tolkien fan and I don't think these changes are arbitrary but serve needs relating to how to tell the story in a film. I must concede to Jackson that knocking Frodo down on Weathertop and taking his heroic lines at the Ford did not damage him as a hero, much to my astonishment. Nor was the friendship of Frodo and Sam much dented by the episode on the Stairs, because these element existed, in other scenes, in the book.

These are daring and you might say impudent liberties to take with a beloved text. But slavishly following every written word was never going to be possible in a film of that length, so Jackson did the next best thing - put in everything of importance, sometimes in scenes created from elements found elsewhere in the book. Once I got over my initial horror, I found it worked. For me :wink:

About Game of Thrones, I am interested in what you say about the characters but I can't discuss it as I have not read it. Discussing a book you haven't read is even worse than chopping up and making a film out of one you have :shock:

Thanks

Varda

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Hmmm....I will have to go watch the movies again. Varda, I have to say that I felt, in my own humble opinion of course, that the film Frodo actually was kind of whimpy...with little development of character, merely the breakdown of a weak individual who made it through with his friend's help, but rather a soggy noodle...(I shall now prepare for the anschluss as Frodo's fans pelt me with over-ripe tomatoes).

Not as bad as Faramir's change, of course, but still. As I said, I will have to rewatch the films again and take your thoughts under advisement. I could be wrong... (did someone say smelling salts?!? :wink: )

However, as I do get HBO, I will have to look for these and see what comes of it. And, maybe read the books...or maybe I shouldn't. Hmmm....more decisions.

Dr.G
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

Robin Gamgee

Post by Robin Gamgee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:07 pm

Personally, I like the movie Frodo slightly better than in the book. In the book I felt that he was unrelatable but I think in the movie it was one of the main goals of the movie to make Frodo as relatable as possible.
"I fear it may be so with mine," said Frodo. "There is no real going back. Though I may come to the Shire, it will not seem the same; for I shall not be the same. I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden. Where shall I find rest?"

Varda

Post by Varda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:29 am

Thank you for your reply, Robin, and nice to meet you :hi:

I think you have hit the nail on the head; Frodo is not easy to know and at least onscreen we can see expression and body language which we can't in a book. Sam talks to us and to Frodo all the time so we know what he is thinking, but Frodo is more private.

The conversation between Gandalf and Frodo at Bag End, when the wizard tells Frodo about the true nature of the Ring, is the only time Frodo really reveals himself. And then he is angry, afraid and resentful. But he gets control of those emotions and picks up the quest and afterwards he tells us little of what is happening in his head. It is as if he has suppressed his very self in order to carry out his errand.

At the end Frodo gives up his sword and swears to bear arms no more and he forgives his enemy Saruman. These may be seen as the actions of a wimp, or evidence of courage. A hero after all is not someone who feels no fear but one who masters it and carries on.

Hi Doc! Thanks for your reply. A bit like old times :wink: If my post made you go back to the films, and especially if it made you go back to the books, all is good :-)

Hi Daisy G! oh boy was Sean Bean so close and I never saw him? Even though I was up in the Mournes in all weathers shooting arrows at targets no-one could hit? I admit I only know the area on the Castlewellan side, the Legananny Dolmen and the Hare's Gap area. I would not be familiar with the Slieve Donard area and the Silent Valley, if that was where they filmed. I can't wait to see how the Mournes look on film. But I know how they look in real life, because I see them every day and they really are the Misty Mountains for me 8)

Thanks everyone

Varda

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:13 pm

So, first episode tonight. Any thoughts?
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

Middegaard

Post by Middegaard » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:54 am

Well, I watched it last night ... overall, good storytelling, but each episode is to be only an hour...it felt like one needed to have read the books to have understood more, but though some scenes felt .. uhm .. perhaps a tad-bit on the gratutitous side, it was a captivating episode.

I won't give anything away, but the ending, for me, was absolutely unexpected, and a literall cliff-hanger for next week's episode...

It was nice and reassuring to sort of see "Boromir" in the episode, but although not quite as "Fantasy" (I tend to agree with DoK's assessment), I am already quite hooked on the series....
I don't normally suscribe to HBO, but it came free for me (until Summer, anyway), because I switched ISP and Telephone to a 3-in-1 package with the Television.

Don't know how long the series is supposed to last, or how many episodes there will be, but I may actually have to reconsider hanging on to the HBO when it expires this Summer...

As an aside, this series is definitely not for the kiddies, but is still captivating to watch.

Of course, I still like Tolkien's Middle-earth better :wink:
May the stars shine upon your faces :)

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:11 pm

Having no knowledge of the books, I found it fascinating. I don't know as much as I will in upcoming episodes (when the opening scene is better explained...) but that is part of what comes. And I agree with the final scene being a "WHAT?!?!" cliff-hanger. I was stunned, simply stunned.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

Dr.G
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

agape4rivendell

Post by agape4rivendell » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:57 pm

:stars:

Unexpectedly found a friend who has promised to tape the episodes and burn a DVD for me.

Now - won't comment anymore or read anymore, cause I'm not gonna see it for awhile (I don't get HBO).... and I don't want to 'see' spoilers.

Ah - spoilers - that has such a nice, reminiscent RING to it. :grin:
'There will be only one Steward in Gondor, so long as I am King. I will have you as my Steward, or I will have none." PlasticChevy - The Captain and the King